Utility (Driving) Iron Guide: Should You Put One in Your Bag?

Scenario: Playing last evening, I had 200 yards in on the last hole. Temperature was 48 degrees, I was into a very slight wind, and it was getting dark. I pulled my 18.5 degree hybrid, which launched high, flew about 198 and landed softly on the green.

That shot is why I choose hybrid over driving iron every time. For me, I cannot hit that shot with a driving iron.

4 Likes

I’m wondering if I would go with a 3U or a 2U. I’m not really looking for a 3 iron replacement from a distance standpoint (which would probably be a 218 carry) since would expect if I have a club I can carry 225 I could choke it down to 215.

How does the distance gapping work for yours from 4i to 3 utility? Is the 3U really just an easier to hit 3i replacement or do you find there’s some extra distance created in the gapping? (assuming shaft specs matched the 4i)

1 Like

I can’t really say anything definitively on gapping between 4 irons and 3 utilities…it could vary wildly from person to person. The 3 utility should be easier to hit and likely go further than a regular 3 iron. Our utility irons utilize a hollow bodied head design with a TPE injection to generate faster ball speeds. The sole and head size of a 3 utility is probably going to offer more forgiveness than a conventional 3 iron as well. I would say that the utility iron designs are generally easier to hit AND should offer more distance than a normal iron head.

4 Likes

Great topic and I think @jon hit the nail on the head. His experience matches completely with mine. I am a high speed/high spin player. I have a driver and 3w I like, as well as 4i-PW, 52-56-60. Everything is set except for this one spot, and I have tried everything (fairway woods, hybrids, utility iron, regular iron).

I love how easy hybrids are to hit and launch, but they just balloon on me and that is no good in any kind of wind (and also sometimes hook wildly, especially if I go after one). I also rarely have 250 as an approach into a green with a forced carry, which is what I would want the hybrid for. Much more often I have a tee shot on a short, narrow par 4 with wind, and I need a 250 club that will stay under the wind (and the tops of trees and fences…).

This is why I ended up with a utility iron (of sorts). I don’t use it very often for approach shots (if I did I’d be running it up onto the green, not flying it to the green and holding it), and if I find myself with 250 into the green with water all the way up the green, I’m laying up anyway.

So for now I have a Taylormade P770 3 iron in the bag (from the regular P770 iron set, not the P770 UDI driving iron). I chose it because it has less offset (hardly any at all, looks great from address) than typical “driving iron” (like the Ping G410 Crossover that I could never tell where the face was because so much offset). It also doesn’t want to go left like a hybrid. The P770 is hollow bodied and hot, so this thing goes. It’s also more forgiving than my more player’s iron (Ping i200) and still travels well on mishits. I put a Graphite Design AD DI 95g shaft in it (remember the one Spieth had in his Titleist driving iron back in 2015 and 2016 when he won everything?). It’s a little longer than the standard 3i, so I can either play it full length and let it fly or choke down on it to keep it under the wind with low spin. For now, it is the perfect option for me. It’s still not as easy to hit as a hybrid, but it has the performance I need. I don’t think it would be a very good fit for lower speed/lower spin players. Too hard to get off the ground and not that easy to hit.

Great article and spot on!

2 Likes

Thanks - and I appreciate you sharing the info. The more we can hear about these scenarios I think it helps other golfers understand equipment decisions.

Totally. Reading your article totally validated my findings. It took me a long time to come up with the solution I have now. I’d still be slightly interested in doing a fitting on just this slot at like a Club Champion, so I know all the options that exist. It’s hard for me to imagine, however, something fitting me better than the P770 3i with that shaft. My biggest dislike of the typical driving iron is when they get too much offset and too fat of a sole, like the Ping G410 Crossover (although I’m sure many would like those features). That’s why the P770 3i is perfect for me: hollow bodied and hot and forgiving, but with minimal offset and a relatively small sole. It inspires confidence without being overly chunky.

I think the shaft is important too. I originally had my stock iron shaft in it (Dynamic Gold 120 X stiff), but it was just too heavy and stiff, felt like a 2"x4" shafted sledge hammer. The AD DI is lighter (but not too light), and smooth and balanced, yet stable through the swing and firm at impact and not whippy or sloppy at all.

1 Like

I enjoyed the article, as well. In my younger days, I carried a 1 iron that I would often use on tighter holes. I quickly put it back in the garage after I hit my first hybrid which has now become my go-to on these holes.

In reality, doesn’t it all come down to what each golfer is most confident in?

2 Likes

So you were God, and now you’re a mere mortal?

3 Likes

Just realized I was saying P770 3i. It’s a P790. I guess all the “sibling rivalry” stuff got to my brain! :rofl:

2 Likes

You totally ruined your whole story by being off by 20 :crazy_face::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Haha, it would be totally cooler with the smaller blade. Maybe I’ll give the “little brother” a try! :rofl:

1 Like

Ha Ha! Bless you, my son!

I don’t have any hybrids or woods in my bag, picked up a Srixon Utility iron, I use it off the tee which avg about 234 yds. I guess ignorance is bliss, having a hybrid or wood for approach shots would be beneficial.

My swing has become less hooky and I have put my driving iron back in the bag. The pro at my club says it is a one iron due to the loft of 16 degrees. I am using it off tees and from the fairway. I don’t carry any hybrids or fairway woods and it has really filled the gap. Yesterday on the last hole a par 5. I had a slightly downhill lie and 204m to the back and nailed it 203m in a low shot that ran the last 30m. I three putted for par. It has turned into my go to club for any shots over 170m and my second shots on par 5’s. I am sweeping my shots and not taking any divot. Also using it on 2-3 holes a round where driver is too much for the dogleg.

1 Like