Utility (Driving) Iron Guide: Should You Put One in Your Bag?

I’ll be the guy (if I do it) that goes the other way from having a hybrid in the bag the past 20 years (replaced 5 wood) to the driving iron! Really at least want to try one, but can’t exactly find a demo lefty driving iron at the local store/range.

Probably worth some discussion with @Sub70_Jay along with considering a wedge tweak.

2 Likes

Incredible article (as usual!).

I’m curious how often you change your bag based on conditions/course layout? Any guidelines?
Thx

1 Like

Thanks! To be honest, I really don’t do it at all. It’s possible I might do it here and there with the utility iron now.

1 Like

I loved this article and the question it raised I’ve been facing for the last 6-9mos. I’m not a big fan of hybrids so I marked that off the list but I have deliberated between just a traditional 3 iron, a utility iron, and a 5 wood to fill that gap. My trackman numbers are eerily close to @jon 's so that was interesting to see.

The driving iron I have is a Callaway UT 18 degree as compared to my stock Callaway Apex Pro 3 iron and a Ping G400 17 degree fairway wood. Off the tee, I love the driving iron quite a bit-- it’s a great fairway finder and I have smaller lateral displacement. As compared to a traditional 3 iron, it’s a bit more forgiving off the tee and assuming I’m not trying to clear water, a thin shot rolls out far enough to get the job done. The fairway wood is close second off the tee but my lateral dispersion is greater and when I error, I tend to spin it too much right to left. This makes for tight tree-lined fairways where there isn’t much room on the right side to start the ball.

Hitting off the deck, I find the fairway wood substantially more reliable. My angle of attack is steep and the UT iron just doesn’t feel quite as good as a traditional 3 iron. I’m sure it’s more mental than anything else, but assuming i strike it well, the 3 iron just feels crisper and when I don’t, the extra bounce of the UT iron is not always helpful. I find that when it comes to holding greens, my fairway wood lands softer and higher, a well struck 3 iron has more bite, and the UT iron falls somewhere in between neither landing softer or biting harder than the alternatives. Perhaps I’d feel differently if I had a higher lofted UT iron but I think my willingness to experiment with UT irons is waning.

All that being said, my standard set is now a fairway wood as a good compromise. If I know I’m going to a course that requires a lot of tight, shorter fairways, I’d consider bringing the UT iron that could be used almost exclusively off the tee. If I know I’m going to experience hurricane force winds, I might consider a traditional 3 iron all else being equal.

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback Will! It’s great to hear from a variety of golfers on how these clubs potentially fit into someone’s bags.

1 Like

Great article! I carry a utility (2 ironwood - 18 degree) and a 4 hybrid - 21 degree. It’s probably a mental or practice issue for me, but I always feel more comfortable with the utility off the tee…in fact I’ve never hit it from the fairway in a scoring round…and always choose the hybrid in the fairway/rough. I love the sense of control of an iron off the tee on long par 3’s and really tight or strong dog leg 4/5’s when I can’t or don’t hit driver. I’ve not yet become comfortable with a hybrid off the tee. Again, probably just need more practice. I don’t carry a 3 or 5 wood…never felt comfortable with fairway woods.

4 Likes

I read you - being a lefty myself…I can never find anything that I want to demo. I finally just made the decision to buy a good, but less expensive utility. I bought the Tour Edge 2 ironwood (18 degrees) and have loved it off the tee. It’s not so expensive that I’d be sick if it didn’t work out (around $100 or less I think).

2 Likes

That’s the reason I’d be interested in the Sub70, but even though at only $100 I’d like to know if I have a chance to like a driving iron at all first. Even if it doesn’t last in the bag forever, I don’t want it to be a one week and done purchase

2 Likes

Good article Jon. Interesting to see the comparative data. In my case, I replaced a 19/3 hybrid with a 3 crossover iron (both Ping G, both same shaft) strictly to eliminate a tendency to hook the hybrid under pressure. I haven’t noticed a huge difference in performance off the ground, but have given up a few yards off a tee. As I don’t hit it from a tee very often, I’ll trade those few yards for more peace of mind when there’s OB on the left.

3 Likes

They have a good return policy!

As I said, it’s been a great addition for me, but I have the profile for it… depending on how the top of your bag looks, you can probably make room for it without giving up a wedge.

I really like my setup of Driver, 3w, 18 hybrid, 22 utility, 5-pw, 50,54,58 and putter… but I’m long enough that I rarely have more than a 7 iron into greens, so I have a lot of choices in the long clubs.

1 Like

What is the longest hybrid you use? And do you use it for the 2nd shot (after the tee shot)?

Good to know!

Top of bag currently is D, 3W, 3H, 3i, 4i… the 3i (from my old set) goes the same distance as the new 4i so its worthless except for punch outs or if I need to hit something lower and hope it rolls up to the green instead of hitting 3H (not often). I’m essentially playing with 13 clubs right now since thankfully haven’t needed recovery shots too much recently.

At the bottom of the bag (with carry) is PW (135), 52* (115), 58* (90) so I’m thinking to replace the 3i for a ~48* wedge or something that’ll go in the 120-125 range, then bend my 52* to something in the 54* range that goes ~105-110 to space that gapping out better. I can take off the PW pretty well but feel like I’d gain more in the scoring zones by having something to fill that gap with a stock swing.

Top of the bag is 3W (245-250), 3H (225-230), and the 3i/4i (208). I’m not as concerned about the gapping at the top since not usually having approach shots of 215+ and if I do then I can survive with just hitting the hybrid or trying to take something off. My hybrid can be a bit hit or miss and occaisionally I can get the flippy/spinny flares. I like hitting the 3i and 4i (moreso now given it’s more forgiving) and while it’s not always straight, I’m not usually hitting those spinny shots so thinking a utility iron in the same carry range as the 3H may play better in the bag, depending on ball flight from fairway into greens.

@Sub70_Jay any experience/thoughts on handling the gapping certainly appreciated!

2 Likes

Sounds like a 3 utility would be a solid purchase… 215-220 would fill a gap, it would be a great punch club and it’s great for stingers into the wind.

Tell Jason I’m going to start needing to make commissions… he can just pay me with clubs, though!

2 Likes

I definitely would’ve looked into utility irons if they were more of a thing when I bought my 2/3 hybrid. I have a high swing speed with a high launch and getting the ball flight down would be quite helpful. I also have much more confidence with irons as opposed to woods - one of the reasons I bought the hybrid I did was because it had a much more “iron-like” profile than others.

2 Likes

Thanks for the message and info! It does sound like a utility iron could be an option. I go Driver-4 wood-3 utility iron and then 4-W. The nice thing about the utility irons is that there are a ton of shaft options…you can go graphite or steel depending on whether you want it to launch higher and spin a bit more or be a low bullet fairway finder. I would actually reach out to Jason at 815-621-3556 or [email protected] He’s a lot more knowledgeable on shaft options and what might work to fill that gap depending on how you typically flight the ball. I had the same issue with the occassional weak, spinny hybrid shots in the past and have been absolutely loving my 699U Pro 3i with a Ventus Blue HB 9X in it…

4 Likes

Jason is also just fun to talk to! (You’re great too, jay)

1 Like

Hahah! I’ll let Jason take the compliment on that one. I’m a little hit or miss :joy:

1 Like

Thanks Jon for the article. I have a couple hybrids but haven’t given them much of a chance and they sit in my garage. I haven’t found much of a need for them. My long irons fly pretty well in general with decent height and spin. Looking at the data in the article it’s hard to say if I would actually put one in my bag either. I would want to test for myself. Thanks again!

2 Likes

Didn’t know anyone made them in higher lofts! Doubt it’s the right kind of club for me, but I do have a gap between my irons to my 4H … but am not crazy about higher lofted hybrids…

1 Like

I don’t have a Utility Iron at the moment but with the next irons I buy I am thinking with the next set of irons I buy the 4-iron will either be Utility Iron or a game Improvement Iron.

1 Like