The Four Foundations of Golf

#trusttheprocess is something that I am going to try to be way better at. I am a couple of chapters into the course strategy foundation and this jumped out at me based off my Thursday round. Not really a strategy issue as much as a mental one however trusting the plan is super important. I have always had trouble not focusing on outcomes regardless of if it is golf or life, just the way my mind works I guess. Thursday I was playing in our team match play event, clubs travel to different clubs with 12 players and play an individual match, a 4 ball match and the big team match all at the same time. We started on the 6th hole. I hit the first 4 greens and 2 putted them all and got out to a 2 up lead. Parred the next 4 as well and was 3 up. I bogeyed the 14th (217 yard par 3 so not a bad score) and he did as well. Hit a terrible drive into a plowed field on 15 and hit a great recovery wedge to about 13 feet and drained it. 4up. Par 16 & 17, hit a good drive on 18 (par 5) and a decent 5 wood to pin high about 20 yards. This is where it went downhill. He knocks it in there about 10 feet and I lay the sod over my chip. Hit the next one to 6 feet but he drains the bird. We go to #1 and I am 3 up with 5 to go. Should be cruise control at this point however my mind went to the dark side after that chunked chip and all I can think about is don’t lose this freaking match. That thought dominated the last 5 holes, I couldn’t shake it. When I get going down this rabbit hole the bad thoughts are usually over shots that I know a miss could happen at anytime, wedges for me. We both par the first hole and the 2nd at my club is the #1 handicap and the one hole I have to give a stroke on. I hit a good drive to 128 with the flag right in the middle of the green. (Bad thought bad thought) I get very quick on the swing from suspect lie 1 foot in the rough and proceed to hit my wedge about 4 feet off the ground and right 150 yards. I am dead. I make an all world par but still lose the hole so 2 up with 3 to go. He hits the tee ball off the 3rd tee close enough to OB that he has to hit a provisional. So one would think ok this thing is over. Well my dumba$$ is still thinking don’t lose this match it would be an embarrassment. Bad drive, good recovery to 69 (nice) yards smack dab in the middle of the fairway, its a par 5 so should be fairly easy par. Let me tell you nothing is easy when your head is where the sun don’t shine. CHUNK. I do get the next one on the green so have a par putt of about 15 feet. He misses his bogey putt and I 2 putt and the match is over but because of the way my mind went I am unsure if I won or he gave it to me. This game is so difficult and yet we only make it harder by getting in our own way. Really going to try to just work my thoughts through the process and not have the bad thoughts take over my game.

3 Likes

What’s that saying about… “…preaching to the choir”…? :wink:

haha… Well said, Sir!

2 Likes

Proud owner of the ebook

Hopefully it helps. Dont know whether to read book or take adams class however. :rofl:

Is there anyone who is doing both?

2 Likes

Do both. Adam’s will be a lot more skill based than Jon’s. Careful though if you do both you will no longer have any excuses. :rofl:

3 Likes

Yup.

The cheaper version. Figured I’ve used enough material from his site for so long, it was time to give back a bit. Curious what he’ll think of my Golftec-changed swing.

Almost done with their series of lessons & practices. (Probably going to do an Edel putter fitting with their fitting credit. Mainly for the aiming work.) Swing is shorter, and now a tad in to out. Launch is a little lower, (but by no means low) speed is down about 5-6%. I’ll take it if it means more consistency. Low point control remains elusive, even with a Divot Board. I’m sure Adam can help there, albeit coins and picks are a ways away.

Book is quite good. Very bite-sized in delivery. Have barely gotten into it. (Stupid work.) I like that it segregates areas of the game, and efficient time to spend on each.

I may get to play tomorrow, for the first time in nearly a year. I’m sure work will f that up too. We’ll see. I just need to climb back onto the horse.

2 Likes

As I understood it’s worth to read, where can I order it? except Amazon

Reading the blurb at the main site, it’s looking like Amazon is it. Which makes sense, if Jon signed an exclusive distribution deal with them.

The more I read it, the more I like it. Really distills a lot of the info in all of Jon’s articles and posts here, into bite-sized pieces. Don’t hate me for saying this, but it’s a great book by the toilet. Each section is short, easy to understand, and should cue additional questions in your head for follow-up investigation.

Not a swing book. Much more of a strategy book for both actual play, and how to efficiently improve. Neat. For people that would never dig into Fawcett or Broadie’s work, but are the ones who most of all need to implement those guys’ findings.

3 Likes

Exactly … good summary!

1 Like

So earlier I’d mentioned I got a second copy for a friend, who I’d felt really “needed” it … turns out he loves it and is actively working through it!! :ok_hand:

Went a bought yet another copy for my cousin. Thx again @jon for this!!

1 Like

The book has really and practically helped me with my mental state whilst playing.

Last week I hit a lot of good shots that got bad outcomes on the front 9. Poor bounces, ridiculous lies etc. Facing all those shots you never get to practice (literally had one in long floppy grass that meant I could not see the ball when looking down at it and another than landed on the fairway, bounced about 60 degrees and came to rest against a tree trunk). In the past I would have become frustrated with the ‘unfairness’ of it and my score getting away from me. However my newfound equilibrium allowed me to put it behind me, keep doing the right thing and improve on the back nine by 9 shots.

I played well, better than I scored and enjoyed the round.

2 Likes

Just finishing my first read through. The book is fantastic and I will definitely be re-reading several sections and referring to it often. Thanks Jon!

1 Like

Yeah there has been a LOT of really positive feedback!

CONGRATS @jon!!!

Additionally, I’m liking the new collab with David Mackenzie / Golf State of Mind - had the opportunity to attend one of his mental game training clinics a few years ago and man it was way worth it!!

2 Likes

Yes, I am re-reading from the beginning. One of the best of its type of books-thinking/course and personal management that is, rather than swing tips. I have employed several of the strategic tips such as playing yardage to back center of greens, no short siding and by all means, avoid the dreaded double. By all and necessary means if you miss a GIR, get that next shot on the green!

2 Likes

Podcast on Vimeo…

@jon really like what you did! Good content, good presentation, good length.

One minor feedback comment - for me (and it may be just me) but I found the background music loop a bit distracting…

You speak at a good pace, keeping things moving, so there’s not really a need for the sound “filler”, imo.

Anyway did enjoy it … thx!

I need that book to check an read

You know, that throwing the disc overhand while supporting with thumb underneath the middle of the flight plate and fingers along the rim, almost like throwing a football or darts. Increases power and allows line shaping, also useful for putting over obstacles. Usually doesn’t feel natural at first and can be inconsistent because of the extra arm movement. Anyway disc golf is quite fun kind of golf game to me.

New gift….loving it so far. Thanks for your time and efforts @jon !!

2 Likes

Just finished this book. Excellent read, well worth refreshing the mind.

1 Like

I ordered the , kindle and audible versions.

2 Likes

Great book.

I got more than my money’s worth from Part 1. It was the catalyst that got me away from results based thinking. I have almost always had a scoring goal. That number dangling in front of me for years break 100, then break 90, now break XYZ. The frustration when a poor shot led to a bad hole would snowball. It just wasn’t fun at times and is probably why I quit playing for 7 years or so.

Reading about expectations and acceptance changed my outlook. My scores aren’t better but I’m having a good time. Bad stuff will happen, who cares? Move on to the next shot. The odd thing is once I decided to focus on my process of playing the game instead of the result, I saw pretty much immediate improvement in my mental state while playing. I found it much easier than I thought it would be. I’m not gonna say I’m cured but I look forward to playing now regardless of the result.

It was a lightbulb moment. Getting out of your own head can make a big difference.

2 Likes