The 2/3 Rule & What It Means for Your Game

Does a 50/50 day count? :slight_smile:

Played a short 9, so usually this course is pretty much tee shot then short game … very little “middle” game.

Been struggling off the tee much of this season vs my short game has generally been dependable.

Today that flip-flopped :man_shrugging:

1 Like

You just never know what you’re going to get!

1 Like

So true! Which constantly reinforces just how important all the mental game aspects of golf are…

1 Like

Really good read and much of it rang true. I am normally 1/3 with the 1 being short game. Tee game at times makes an appearance as a + but I am normally about 67% good and 33% less than optimal. The approach game is the area where I almost always fall short which is why my short game is the key to keeping me in the 70s. Even when I shot my personal best of 66 almost a year ago, I would only claim a 2/3.

4 Likes

After reading the article, I’ve taken this approach. I’ve gone 1/3 twice since reading the article. I’ve driven the ball well and fallen apart after but I noticed I have been more positive after the round keeping in mind oh I did well with this.

3 Likes

Had a disappointing 2/3 round yesterday… I know I know 2 outta 3 should be good, right?

Well yesterday my 1/3 that deserted me … abandoned me and left me high and dry … was my putting…

This was disappointing as putting has actually been a relative strength in my game! Just could not get the speed anywhere near right on the first putts … so left myself a lot of uncomfortably long second putts … which led me into waaaay way too many 3-putts for one 9-hole round… :frowning:

1 Like

A few thoughts:

• 9 holes is a relatively small amount of time to gauge anything; it’s possible if you played 18 that you would have adjusted to the speed better by then.
  • Were there any trends - most putts short, long? Do you feel like mishits, or just poor speed caused them?
  • Did you warm up at all on the practice green beforehand?

Disclaimer: The 2/3 rule was meant to be used on 18 hole rounds; I cannot take responsibility for its inaccuracy on 9 holes rounds :joy: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

^^ Thx for the response and the thoughts in there.

As to…

• adjusting if 18 holes … I’ll say a provisional “maybe” and I appreciate the optimism! :wink:
  • any trends … Yes, definitely, it was all speed related; a lot of my first putts were 20 to 30ft and a lot of those were way short or long … kind of a mixed bag but with more left short … and too many of those misses were 6 ft or more away… Did feel like I started almost all putts on my intended line (except last hole the first long putt uphill and over a bit of a ridge I pulled left).
  • warm up … Actually did, and it was actually faster vs the course. But … in hindsight … the practice green is in a spot where it’s in the sun most of the day, plus it’s pretty well trafficked … so I probably should’ve taken that tidbit of knowledge to the course with me!

I’ve been practicing a few times recently on a faster practice green … as I’ve usually had trouble putting on faster speed greens, eg over 10. Guess I’ve got to alternate going there with a different green that’s slower!!

Anyway, back to the idea of the article … yes, I am happy with the way my ball striking is progressing! A few wayward tee shots but made decent contact and at least I had a one-way miss (push to the right); and pulled off a few longer than usual second shots (vs my typical play it safe layup shots).

1 Like

Wow, yes, this is me, demanding perfection when I’m only a 14 h/c and getting totally disgusted with myself unless I play well.
If I don’t break 90, the card goes in the bin . . . . . tut tut, working on it.

3 Likes

In some good news, had like a 2.5/3 round (9 hole) over the weekend …

… tee shots were all playable
… approaches, irons were more good than not
… chipping/pitching was 50-50
… putting was GOOD

Discussed in other topics, but made a conscious decision to change my game focus on to the process … definitely helped me!

3 Likes

This article has been a great aid to mental perspective! I actually got 2/3 yesterday, no, my score didn’t reflect it due to mis-hits and worm burners, but relaxing into an external focus greatly improved my fairway shots (my big issue) and helped my accuracy! Yes, it’s true about 9-holes, but it’s easier to play them with the early sunsets this time of year.

3 Likes

Played today and was 12 shots better than yesterday. Drove the ball big and straight except for one pull that hit a tree and one too high but in play. Hit mostly good iron shots and I was having a great short game until I said my putting has improved and then had 5 3putts. Had 7 1putts but what could have been. 2/3 but could have been 5 shots better and 3 or 4 fewer putts

4 Likes

Got in the season opener over the weekend and I … uhh ummm … “obeyed” :wink: the 2/3s Rule …

• been taking a series of lessons over the Winter and the full swing is definitely progressing! Making more solid contact and more often, and … happily … watching more shots go more in the general intended direction;
  • short game was decent but, of course and as always, needs sharpening up;
  • putting was a little off … until the last putt on the last hole where I nailed an 8-9 footer for a nice up & down and a par. But before that my line and/or speed were just a little off, plus I was either over- or under- playing the wind break - steady 20s gusting 30s occasionally and yeah that would knock your ball offline on the firm greens!

So, no, I don’t “expect” to hit every shot great but if this round is an indication of the upcoming season it’s gonna be a good golfing year for me!

1 Like

I’ve played 4 rounds this year - here are my golf metrics handicaps by round. Scores 78, 74, 77, 71. Maybe it’s the 3/4 rule?

Driving 1, 1, 8, +1
Approach +2, +4, 0, 8
Short 12, 5, +10, +9
Putting +3, +5, 6, +6

3 Likes

I try to tampen expectations (to keep stress levels down) with a fait accompli attitude. Some days you can hit the ball but not putt, other days you can put but can’t hit the ball.

The other approach to keep a positive attitude is to always learn something when situation is difficult. For example, when I’m greenside a par-4 hitting 6, I tell myself “ok, get up & down for par.” Make every shot, as much as possible, a learning opportunity.

Of course there are days when I’m out of sorts and not much is going right. Occasionally, after 17th green, I’ll just ball-in-pocket and walk it in. There would be nothing for me to learn to playing one more hole. Head to the grill room then back at it the following week.

5 Likes

Excellent read @jon; I’ve been doing something similar for quite a while without knowing it.

I think @openfacelefty is on to something. I also split the finesse section into two parts: putting and all other short game. Like tee balls, I figure putting is a different stroke and should be considered separately.

It’s interesting to see the difference in impact on my score. This week I had a 1/4 day; the only thing I did well was drive the ball, and I struggled to score. The week before, my short game was as good as it’s ever been. It was still another 1/4 round, yet my score was much better.

4/4 is indeed the holy grail, and I’ve had as much success achieving it as finding the chalice! This does help me focus on areas that need work, though, and helps me build up a memory bank of excellent results to reinforce positive thinking.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s definitely a good way to review different aspects of the whole golf game (and some people may want to slice and dice it into even finer detail - including, e.g., mental game/focus), but my main takeaway from the article … and which you and others have noted … is that it’s SOOOOOO DIFFICULT to get everything working well at the same time within the same round…

Ties in with the discussion about Expectations Management (one of many things I need to do better at!).

…one can only dream… :wink: