Tennis thread……

How many of you degenerates play tennis?

I just started and I am loving it…

Lots of crossover between golf and tennis imo.

Who is playing? Good resources? Any websites that could be “practical tennis”? (Registered trademark @jon). Brags? Humble brags… tell me about it

Applying “practice manual” concepts and taking a few lessons has really shortened my learning curve

One example, every person on this forum would benefit from reading Brad Gilbert’s “winning ugly”

1 Like

Hard nope. No interest, no knees and not much of a right shoulder. If you can use tennis to break up golf monotony and find some sport crossover attributes, then good for you and I hope you prosper in both sports :+1:.

It appears there is more interest in bbq than tennis on this forum!

1 Like

I am a golf product of a tennis family. When the family went on vacation, everybody hit the courts, and I hit the course. I played golf and tennis in high school, and then went on to golf in college (before I gave it up for riflery as it were…).

Then I grew up and became a really mediocre golfer. Later in life, I became a really mediocre tennis player. When arthritis started to set in, I gave up competitive tennis and started playing golf again. I went to a golf pro (at Palm-Aire in Pompano Beach) and he pointed out that my power swing was eerily reminiscent of a tennis player, especially the leg and hip action. He encouraged me to cultivate that action, as it was particularly difficult to teach unless it was already there.

Looking back at it, it would appear that the tennis work I put in as a mid-lifer germinated into my later life golf game, and intrinsically corrected a number of faults that had doomed my game years earlier. If for no other reason than to understand the dynamics of mid-body movements and development of “power” with legs and body mass, tennis movement is worth at least a modicum of study by any serious student of golf.

Interestingly, Jack Nicklaus became a serious student of tennis later in life once his schedule began to allow for it.

Thanks for the story!

I am seeing a ton of crossover benefit. Both games involve using ground force and controlling a club/racket face.

For example, I have a fault of opening early and thus losing connection to the club face in both games.

I don’t know why feeling this fault in tennis has helped me feel it in my golf swing but it has. So it hasn’t fixed the fault, but I can almost immediately feel it in a golf swing, pause, program a new feel, take a few practice swings and make a much better cut on my next golf swing.

Lots of fun for me. Maybe @Adamyounggolf can chime in with some research or some of his personal experience!

1 Like

But…it isn’t golf!!!

1 Like

I played some tennis in middle/high school (not competitive). A bunch of friends played a lot / were on the tennis team so I’d go hit with them. I could hold my own hitting and steal a few games here and there.

Now I play a few times a year and am taking the “practical” approach and, since I’m not playing anyone great, primarily take the approach to just get the ball in and let the other guy screw it up.

1 Like