Tempo work--how to practice

I swear by it. Took about a year to bite the bullet to buy the V2 as no one around here had one and it was like an absolute brick on your wrist. Like a mobile/cell phone from the mid 90s. Then they released the V3 this year, which is a much much improved watch.

But the stats are awesome. You’re paying for that insight plus the GPS/yardages in-round.

3 Likes

Finally overcome my Scottish tightness and spent the cash to download Tour Tempo tones. Seems a lot for a few sounds. If it works though… number 1 conclusion from my last round (and many others from 2020) is I need to work on tempo. Will report back

4 Likes

I think you’re going to get a lot of value out it, let me know how it goes!

1 Like

@jon just wrapped your first “unnamed” podcast with @Adamyounggolf. Really enjoyed it! Regarding tempo, I too purchased the Tour Tempo app a couple summers ago. I admit, however, that I’ve not been consistent in practicing with it. My intent is to change that this year! One area for me to focus on is using the 3:1 tempo as part of my pre-shot routine for consistency. I demoed it in the basement after your podcast. Aligning the club face and then my feet to the 3:1 ratio seems quick, but perhaps if I work on it? Do you use the tempo beats as part of your pre-shot routine as the app suggests? Thanks!

2 Likes

glad you liked the episode!

When I first started using the beats years ago, I had them “playing in my head” while I went through my routine. As I got my tempo closer to 3:1 it’s become more ingrained in my swing so I don’t do that anymore, but I think it’s a good idea for those who are starting to work with them

1 Like

I do. I run through 3 cycles of the 27:9 track in my head from stepping off to striking the ball. My pre-shot routine wasn’t resilient. I was constantly tinkering and it didn’t hold up under pressure. I’m mildly confident the Tour Tempo will help.

Something along these lines I posted in another thread:

3 Likes

Thanks @jon and @JohnM. I think with a little practice at home and this spring on the range, I can figure out the best number of tempo beat repetitions for me so that I’m always consistent. I want the same shot routine, like John stated, for every shot on every hole.

3 Likes

I’m completely musically-challenged so I don’t feel I can accurately replicate the correct rhythm & tempo in my head (I’m using 24/8), so fyi for anyone else who can’t carry a tune :wink: – what I try to do is sync … as closely as I can while practicing … a “word-count” of Back …Step … THROUGH! (where the “Step” is a reminder to shift the weight onto the front foot)

1 Like

I think it’s Tom Watson who uses Edelweiss. It’s a song from the sound of music. However it’s a three syllable word that you can make into a perfect tempo of 3/1 by breaking it down

Ed el Weiss. Instead of thinking so much about a swing or the mechanics or when to do what, your body knows, you can sing a tune in your head.

Here is the song. It’s very old but it work:

http://www.songlyrics.com/the-sound-of-music/edelweiss-lyrics/

3 Likes

I also found Edel Weiss in my 2019/20 research quest to find a way to get my tempo under control. Edel Weiss didn’t work for me then, but now I have Tour Tempo tones I can envisage how it may work. Seems my brain needed to hear the actual tones in the correct 3:1 tempo before it would register! Eureka!

2 Likes

Yes, it is! Forgot about that … it’s on his DVD, “Game For A Lifetime”.

Will have to re-watch that!

1 Like

Once you know the song it really makes a difference too. It’s a great drill.

1 Like

Cool … as long as we don’t have to wear the lederhosen and dance merrily among the alpenflage and laurelei … :crazy_face:
(…but, really, anything that will help my swing!!)

2 Likes

Maybe if we wore all of the traditional German garb it would help our swings. We would be thinking about how we looked and how uncomfortable we were, we wouldn’t think about our swing. We could be onto something here, new golf training aid…:rofl::crazy_face:

1 Like

Sounds like Nuke Laloosh!!!

You first Jim. Show us the way…with photo evidence… :smiley:

1 Like

Does anyone use the tempo feature of the “Sports Sensors Swing Speed Radar with Tempo Timer” (the red version of their radar product)? It looks like it just times the swing from takeaway to impact. Since it can’t give a ratio is this not helpful for tempo training? I want to get one of these for speed training and am really just wondering if the red version “with Tempo Timer” is worth paying extra for.

Hahaha. I’ll see if I can find all of the items…:joy:

Looking at Amazon reviews, it does just give a time of swing (vs a tempo ratio) but I think you can use that and the measured speed to find a consistent temp… It’s less about getting to exactly 3:1 and more about having a consistent swing around that speed… It might be best used in conjunction with a metronome app of some sort, to figure out the correct total time of a swing + speed, but once you know that a 100 mph swing should take you 3 seconds (All numbers made up) you can use that information to see what a 110 mph swing should look like (less than 3 seconds)

Probably not an ideal training aid for tempo, but some added feedback. Not sure the price difference.

Thanks for the input. The one with Tempo isn’t a lot more expensive but I think I’ll just get the regular one since the tempo feature doesn’t seem ideal.