Tempo/Tour Tempo App

I just read the section in Four Foundations about tempo, and what it is and what it isn’t. Very interesting. The magic is the 3 to 1 ratio between backswing and downswing speed. Fast and short like Rahm or long and silky like Els or Couples (you don’t see many of those on the Big Tour anymore), they are all right around 3 to 1. Jon mentioned some training tools such as The Tour Tempo App. Has anyone had experience with this or something similar?

1 Like

I have not. Mainly because I’m sort of cheap, and it’s not. But…I wonder (not having tried it) what a good swing with an Orange Whip or the like compares to the 3:1 Tour Tempo?

1 Like

Golf BPM is an app I used (free). Worked really well

2 Likes

I have purchased and used the Tour Tempo app. I find it very helpful in practice and warmup sessions. For both full swings and short game (which uses a 2:1 tempo). If you have an off-season, but can work on your game then, focusing on tempo with the all is also very helpful.

1 Like

I haven’t had experience with these apps but I have a free and simple suggestion for you to work on tempo before you pay your money. I was once told that Ernie Els had the greatest name in golf because the cadence of speaking it was a perfect tempo. So, on the back swing “Ernie” and then down “Els”. If I feel that my tempo is a bit off I will repeat this in my practice swings. Works for me.

2 Likes

I did splurge on the Tour Tempo app, and while expensive I did find it helpful. I turn it on during the ride to the course, so it is pretty ingrained when I play. I try to only have those tones at the right speed in my head and nothing else when I swing. I still have trouble timing each tone to swing checkpoints, (beat 1 start, beat 2 top of backswing, beat 3 hit ball), but I am starting to thing the point is to be close and not exactly on beat, as the swing is almost too fast to figure each beat. It has helped me even out my swing and I have made better swings, contact and scores.

2 Likes

I have used it and it does work. Given my play of late I should get back to it. It turns the golf swing into a reactionary response which makes it easier for many of us, but then you need to find a way to keep that tempo stuck in your head.

1 Like

I bought the app too, definitely pricey but tempo is a key thing for me. Then I found out Garmin has a tempo widget. Not really loud, so I’ll have to see on the range if it works well or if it works with headphones.

1 Like

Several years ago I bought the Tour Tempo earpiece, which also came with a CD with different “songs” that play the underlying tempo. I’ve found it very useful for practice … especially short game.

One key thing not mentioned above is that there are four different tempos - think Jon Rahm vs Ernie Els, yet still all at 3:1 - and Tour Tempo’s version guides you into finding the right one for you.

Counting out, or speaking a phrase, to yourself could work, but … you really won’t objectively know if you’re on or off of the desired 3:1 ratio…

2 Likes

Oh also… Blast Motion Golf makes a putting training aid that measures different stroke metrics, including tempo.

I’ve not tried it for full swing practice.

1 Like

Thanks. Great idea! I used it yesterday at the range to good effect.

1 Like

I have been using the Golf BPM on my phone coupled with the Frame Counter app to track the ratio between backswing and downswing speed. I am somewhat unusual in that my backswing speed is pretty quick (22-24frames) but my downswing speed is too slow (11-12) to reach the magic 3:1 target. A really beneficial side benefit is that while you focus on swing tempo and the beats, you have little additional focus to have swing thoughts with a result in much better contact. I’m thinking about slowing down the backswing to improve load (maybe with a wee pause at the top like I had when I was good) to get backswing to 30 frames (about 3/4 second since 40 frames = 1 second).

1 Like