Teaching Our Kiddos

I’m a fairly new father. My son is a year and a half old. It’s probably a little too early to get into teaching and actual swing mechanics, but he loves to carry his little plastic clubs around and the only time I can get him to sit still is when we’re watching golf together. I think it has a lot to do with the six weeks he was in the NICU and the amount of golf we watched. Long days.

My question here is at what age did you really start teaching your kids the game? I love golf. I hope my son loves it, too. I’m never going to force it on him, but I may try to subtly nudge him in that direction.

I want to start him young if he shows interest. I got started way later in life than I wish I had. So when do I start with him?

How do I start? I’d love to hear your experiences of passing the game on to your kids.

3 Likes

NICU dad here too - wish they had a TV in there to have watched golf with my little one! Hope things are going as well for you as they are for us.

I’ll take my 3.5yr old to the range with some cut down clubs. they’re still too big but she tries and rolls the ball a few yards. she’ll putt for a little too. average time spent there is about 20 min since attention span won’t last.

My thought is just expose them to it and hopefully it’s something they’ll want to do and will learn as they grow. Hopefully the attention span starts to grow so when we go I can actually get some practice in!

1 Like

5 and 7 year old girls. They went to golf camp for a few hours this summer… 4 days of it.

They don’t have sports this year, so I’m trying to get them to the range… basically give them the exposure to the course and let them get excited about it.

2 Likes

I took my Daughter out various times when she was 4-8 years old. I had clubs that fit her (on her 3rd set now) but it never really clicked for her until this year (9 years old).
We play the par 3 and she does very well. Still not quite long enough for a regular course.

However, I think each kid is different. My friends son is getting very good at 5 years old and is already playing par 3 holes.

I think it is important to get clubs that fit them and let them decide if they like it. I think my daughter likes that she is spending time with me as much as she likes golf…but that is just her…

I hope it all goes well for you!

1 Like

Just buy them a golf club designed for their age, some foam golf balls and let them swing it around the house or yard. They’ll get their own interest. If they like it they’ll stick with it. Take them to the course with you often, and let them putt or hit it up to the green from just off the green while you’re putting. Never force your likes on them and if they want to do it help and encourage them. As for the mechanics of the swing, don’t get too wrapped up in that until they make a commitment to want to play the game. Around 13-15 is a good age for this.

He’s good. He’s the coolest dude. Totally healthy after a couple scares. We’ve fattened him up and he’s off to the races. Glad to hear your little is doing well.

I’m hoping just watching the game and seeing me hit balls into the net at least piques his interest. I have dreams of forty years of playing golf with my main man. Hopefully he wipes the floor with me 20 of them.

I used to work a junior camp with my stepbrother. I always had 8-10 year olds and I found the ones who wanted to be there took to the mechanics really well. I think a lot of it has to do with their interest level. If mom and dad are forcing them to be there they aren’t going to work or want to. The ones who begged mom and dad to go really absorbed things and impressed me with how technical they were able to be at that age.

1 Like

I have two sons. One has graduated a PGM program and is now an assistant pro the other is a freshman in college and is on the golf team. Start them young for sure. But you have to let them develop their love for the game on their own. My kids started with cut down clubs from their grandfather. That’s not preferred these days but until they get to the point of actually playing it gets them swinging. I also believe it develops an inherent tempo In their swings that can’t be taught. It has to be fun at the beginning so in my opinion fun is first with the very occasional instruction. I’m lucky in that I could drop my kids at our club and they could play all day if they wanted with out me watching over their shoulder. We also had a weekly twilight scramble at our club and we three would all go and play. It is here that they learned about etiquette, playing with others and sportsmanship. After that age appropriate tournaments and a little more instruction may be introduced. My kids also played soccer, football, baseball and basketball on and off thru early high school so my suggestion is try them all and sprinkle in some fun golf as often as possible.

2 Likes

My kids had plastic clubs as babies and I had a real set ready for them at around 3 where I could take them to the range. I’ve exposed to golf quite a bit, but haven’t forced it on them. I used to take them both to a local range individually a couple times a month til it closed down.

Daughter, now 11, still enjoys occasionally going to the range and to Top Golf and riding in the cart, but she has very little interest in golf (or most sports) right now, but one day she might.

My son is 7, and he loves golf. I’ve taken him to the short course a few times and need to get him out more. He likes chipping around in the yard, and he is currently in the First Tee program. He has a decent swing just from observing me and I haven’t coached him up too much yet, but letting him figure it out and making sure he has fun. He’s also played baseball and soccer, and will play basketball soon.

Now I just need to move closer to a course with a decent practice facility so we can get out more often.

3 Likes

I’ll echo what many have already said here: expose your kids to the game and see if it clicks for them. I have two boys; the older started playing nine hole rounds with me (from the 100 yard stakes) when he was 2. He completely took to the game and now, five years later, is a much better golfer than I am. I have not in any way had to drive him; he is hyper-competitive and wants to practice and play as much as he can. Here’s a swing video compilation from him:

The younger brother, who is 5, will come to the course with us from time to time. He likes to hit balls, but he likes to ride the cart much more. And that’s also fine.

As for teaching: neither boy has ever had a lesson. That day might come, but for now, experimenting and playing is more important. I’ll tweak something here or there, but mostly by way of suggestion: “Kirke, see what happens if you try to…”

7 Likes

Wow, you must be proud. Hopefully he sticks with it, I’m sure he’ll be really good!

2 Likes

Any suggestions for a boy about to turn ten for training aids? Has to be useable indoors…

My nephew is loving golf but lives in Idaho… his birthday is in two weeks.

2 Likes

Unless your nephew is the super-analytical type, I’d lean more toward training aids that can be made into games. PuttOut immediately comes to mind as the top of my list. Chipping nets with indoor balls, even if the balls are nothing like an actual ball, still work on skill development.

1 Like

My first thought is PuttOut. Even if he uses it on carpet it’s teaching a skill while acting like a game.
Maybe chipping net with foam balls.
An entire wall covering that’s a frame by frame shot of Rory hitting driver :joy::joy:

4 Likes

@Bigdadenergy

My thoughts immediately went to putt out, as well… just figured I’d double check!