Swing Speed Vs Potential Carry Disatance

@Adamyounggolf has this up on his site, I’d love a more clear table vs the simple chart, but I can draw my conclusions well enough… (you could also add gridlines)
Adam Young: Swing Speed Vs Potential Carry

I think this is a good guide to making sure you are hitting your efficiency numbers and checking to see if you are losing distance due to sub optimal launch characteristics.

Anyone have any experience improving their AoA? I’ve been working on it, but it went really poorly after a long hiatus… Definitely something I’m focusing on in the off season. My overall goal is to have 300+ carry in the tank… It’s a reachable goal for me, but I will have to optimize both my efficiency and my swing speed!

1 Like

This chart from Golf WRX has been floating around for a few years, but seems like it is still a decent benchmark for a swing with decent efficiency (note-the MPH is based on driver swing speed only):

Modern iron lofts might tweak those numbers a bit, but still gives a good idea.

4 Likes

I think that is the average distance by swing speed, not optimized… 100mph on Adam’s chart is a 260 yard carry… Basically showing that people are leaving distance on the table due to efficiency.

I think it’s a combination of perfect strikes and positive AoA…

^^ That is the first key to more distance!

Maybe? This is where we need guys with real world data… While improving smash factor is probably a huge upgrade, I’d bet improving launch conditions is the better path to increasing distance.

2 Likes

1000% this. Disregard smash factor and work on improving launch conditions.
CHS is very, very, very difficult to measure accurately which means smash is a flawed calculation.

https://ping.com/en-us/blogs/proving-grounds/smashing-smash-factor#:~:text=Smash%20Factor%20is%20calculated%20by,for%20a%20given%20clubhead%20speed.

2 Likes

Hi this chart means nothing unless we know if speed is km or miles and if distance is yards or metres.

It’s mph and yards. But still a lot more to it than just swing speed.

1 Like

The data is optimized for carry… basically if you swing 120 mph and hit it perfectly it will carry 310 yards…

Or, probably more relevant, if you swing 100 mph you can carry it 260 yards… if your carry isn’t 240+ you can probably gain some easy yards adjusting your setup…

What I like about it is it shows what’s possible based on swing speed… it’s actionable data.

1 Like

Well, I got a personal best in swing speed today (126) hooked the hell out of it so it was useless, but I do like the potential!

4 Likes