Swing Match-ups...?

Hi,

I’m a new user here, just signed up after buying the Four Foundations audiobook (which is great).

I’ve got a question regarding swing match-ups. I keep hearing this term banded about on various social media stuff, but i can’t find any real explanations of what is supposed to match up with what.

I mean i think understand the general term but is there a good source of easy to understand information regarding it? Something that might explain certain swing tendencies like a slightly cupped wrist at the top of the backswing should be matched with a certain swing plane or open or closed clubface - etc,etc,etc…?

Am i understanding that this is what match-ups means or have i got it totally wrong?

Cheers,
Graham

1 Like

Welcome to the forum fuzzy!

In my limitted understanding it seems to be difficult to go over matchups without looking at examples of players because there are so many combinations. I think there aren’t many rule of thumbs so to speak but there are definitely more and less common examples.

There are a few episodes of Jon and Adam Young’s podcast “the sweet spot” that exlpore this topic though, and frankly i would highly reccomend any episode of theirs its a fantastic show. https://open.spotify.com/episode/6s8OD5ODazofZ64zkvJnHj?si=oAfjz4wCTGS67_fo4q4IlQ&utm_source=copy-link

1 Like

OP, it’s a big thing at places like Golftec, and other instructional outlets that use rudimentary motion capture to compare your swing to someone that knows what they’re doing. Good, as far as that goes. I certainly learned a lot, comparing my before swing to someone like Kisner.

There are a lot of commonalities that better players do to get to an effective impact position, as well as be more efficient at converting motion and force to clubhead and ball speed. So, I didn’t mind being pigeon holed into Kiz’s body positions, because they worked a lot more effectively than what I was doing. Else I wouldn’t be spending a modern new car payment for the instruction.

I’d say pitfalls in that approach are when the match-up player is getting into body positions the student just can’t consistently get their body into. Nor is likely to, with drills and work. E.g., Hovland’s side bend. But your instructor should know better than that.

I like the methodology of the approach. Coupled with analysis of your motion, your divergence from that ideal, and drills to get you into a position to more efficiently arrive at your goal. I’d still be a golftec student, if on lesson 7 of 10, the instructor didn’t go back to my address, when there were no prior indicators my address was wonky. Instead of working on my flippy release. Sigh.

1 Like

Thanks i had a listen to the whole episode. Some interesting points. The takeaway i got was to find a good instructor who knows what they’re doing

1 Like

I’ve seen a few Golftec instructors on Youtube, but there’s none nearby for me. I have used a different guy online (not sure if its ok to say who on here) who did the same thing you mentioned, comparing my swing side by side to different pro’s and it was actually very good, maybe i’ll try him again.

It was good to see just how bad my swing is when it was slowed down and compared to good players, and i suffer from the same flippy contact. I’m still trying to get closer into the positions the other guy showed me as it helped before. Maybe i should stick to once source of info rather than looking at 100 different videos on Youtube haha.

Thanks for the reply

2 Likes

Thanks! Glad to be of help!

Your quoted passage is exactly what I’ve heard here. (From @craigers I think.) He’s absolutely right.

Pick one guru, and try to do what they teach, when it comes to the swing. (Putting is different. So is strategy.)

IMHO, it’s too confusing and counterproductive to square the teachings of ten different people. Sure makes it feel like you’re learning something though, as you sift through endless articles and videos. Plus, it’s a lot easier than practicing the drills and feels that your coach gave you to do. Maybe I’m cynical?

3 Likes

Couldn’t agree more, wise words Jayjay!

I use the wonders of the internet for strategy, knowledge, mental game, basically everything BUT swing instruction. (Which is how I found this site and Jon’s work). Getting better can be hard work but its a helluva lot harder if you’re working on the wrong things or pick too many voices to try to listen too. Which we all fall prey to from time to time.

2 Likes