Super stroke putter grips

@Craigers, I don’t think it adversely affects feel or distance for the vast majority of players. There may be 1% of golfers who are talented enough to use their hands and wrists to make beneficial corrections when putting under pressure. But the rest of us would be better off eliminating those movements. Of course, confidence is an important factor in putting. So if the larger grip doesn’t feel right you shouldn’t use it.

1 Like

Just tried to get fit for a putter at golf headquarters… nick looked at me, my grip, stance and height… said give me your old putter, I’ll bend it and make it work for you.

Loft and lie adjustment later and I’m already putting better.

Some times our problems are simple.

1 Like

For me I was better with distance control with a traditional rubber grip. Currently using Iomic midsize. One thing I bought a while back was a vgroove grip removal tool so I can try multiple different grips without having to cut off the grip so I can reuse or sell. This will help so you can try different ones to see if it helps.

1 Like

Its really what you think feels comfortable as even people with small hands can,play jumbo grips. With you being taller with larger hands id say go for it. Throw one on a club and see how it feels. I’m 6’2" and wear a M/L glove and I play midsize grips. Ive played oversize before without any issues, but prefer midsize. Here https://golfauthority.org/best-putter-grip/ are some reviews.

1 Like

Ended up in a SeeMore with a large grip, but it’s not super stroke large… it’s been good. My stroke was the issue.

Cody at SeeMore gave me a ton of help on my putting stroke… then built me a putter to fit the improved stroke.

It’s been great. Just need to work on confidence with my stroke.

The two main factors in distance control are strike and active hands. If we assume good centered strike, the next source of inconsistency is hands/wrists, as @jon says.
Clearly, we’re looking down a really deep rabbit hole. Hand-dominance, pop-strokes, even questioning if the “quiet hands” crowd is correct; there clearly are/were good putters with active hands. But to keep things practical, what we’re looking for is consistency. Most of us probably not going to get that with active hands/wrists.
So, does jumbo grip help you quiet your hands/wrists? Or adjusting your grip? IMO whatever works for you. I’ve battled bouts of “wristy” even with jumbo, but can’t blame the grip; problem between ears.
Personally I’m right-hand dominant, so jumbo with ‘prayer’ grip helps me take wrists/hands out of the equation. Remember, the grip on the putter and your hands on the putter are a combination. Together, the objective is to spatially connect the putter face and the sternum.

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Definitely good advice… though I’m probably going to regrip my putter soon… havent figured out with what, yet.

The over sized putter grips will help directional identification, where, it will hurt the feel thus, give away the distance control.
Over sized putter grip works the best with the pendulum style of swing. The face balance design comes to mind on this.
The traditional heel shafted, toe-hang putters works the best with a grip that fit the size of your hands ( mainly the size of the palm ). The putters with any toe-hang weight distribution need to have the right size of putter grip to maximize the “feel” . Some will built up the grip with extra wraps of tapes to fit their need.
Super stroke works really well with face balanced design and a fast green. I have S/S Mid Slim 2.0 on a couple of putters with slight toe-hang and it worked well.

1 Like