Sunscreen recommendations

Can anyone recommend a non -greasy good quality sunscreen?
I find that most of the stuff that advertises itself as non greasy really isn’t which makes it even worse for golf.

I like Neutrogena’s stuff. I find it’s neither greasy nor too sticky. I use their ultra sheer spray as my main protection and I carry the ultra sheer stick in my bag for touch-ups during the round. The stick is just like a deodorant stick so you can reapply without getting anything on your hands and it withstood the summer heat last year without melting.

2 Likes

I agree with this… I do spray and then have a stick to apply more or apply a better layer… actual squirt white stuff sunscreen is dead to me.

1 Like

In the interest of supporting a small business, I keep a stick of this in my bag and it is pretty good. Definitely the non-greasiest I’ve ever seen, basically like a stick deodorant.

2 Likes

I recently tried Bravo Sierra products and I really like their SPF 30 sunscreen. Feels very light and not greasy at all. And part of their profits go towards veterans.

1 Like

I do, also apply the Neutrogena product in the few weeks during Summer.
The protection from your headwear and clothing are not to be neglected. I started to wear wide brim SPF rated hat and SPF rated clothing ever since the start of taking medication for high blood pressure.
For some reasons the medication will change the skin tone.
The only draw back on any of the sunscreen product is when it blends with sweat and happen to get into eyes.
re-applying between the front and the back is also a hassle. I bought the wide brim hat for the face and the neck protection, just get one that’s well ventilated.
Beware of what you touch after applying the sunscreen, even after wiping clean of your hands. You don’t want that stuff on your golf bag nor on the steering wheel.

I’ll apply a cream screen to face and neck prior to leaving the house. Just before teeing off, I’ll spray legs with a sport SPF 50. I also wear a ventilated wide-brimmed hat and wear arm sleeves (bicep to wrist). I’ve had a couple skin cancer excavations (squamous and basal cell), so I try to be somewhat protective.

I’m a big fan of Korean and Japanese sunscreens, and skincare products in general. Much higher quality, less expensive, that what I can find for sale at department/grocery stores here. Amazon and Ebay will carry them; AliExpress/Taobao too if you’re familiar with how to order there.

Brands I like include Nivea (the German-made stuff), KAO Biore (accent over the “e”) Aqua, Skin Aqua. Shiseido. A good waterproof/resistant—I use it swimming—is La Roche-Posay Anthelios 50+.

But poke around, read some Korean/Japanese skincare reviews. Evidently, whiter skin is a desirable trait for them (shrug), and they take sun exposure seriously. The gunk I use for my skin condition, sensitizes it to the Sun, so I have to cover up/sunscreen pretty religiously, or suffer the consequences.

Or stop playing golf, but who wants that?

2 Likes

The Anthelios is fantastic. Got a free sample last summer and it’s the only one I use. Not greasy, solid coverage and not insanely expensive.
I also use the sun sleeves if I’m playing 18 and I know there’s limited shade available. Solbari is the brand I use.

2 Likes

Neat! Never thought of trying something like that. I’d think the thumb hole versions would jack with my grip, but the cuffed ones look like they might work…

Thanks!

1 Like

I became a fan of sun sleeves this past year. I bought a couple of pairs of Sparms brand. I was surprised at how much of a cooling effect they provide. I was worried I would overheat with them on, but it’s really the opposite.

2 Likes

Couldn’t agree more!