Suggestion box šŸ¤ž

But the golf courses are? That is weird?

All part of the plan to prevent congregating in close proximity around the golf course. I feel like you could paint out some ā€œzonesā€ on the practice greens and tell the players only to use it after they check in 15 minutes before their tee time, but understandable that itā€™s not really worth the monitoring that would be required.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s an idea, butā€¦ I was actually thinking just use the putting #s from your actual golfing rounds - and maybe split it into 9 and 18 hole categories for those (like myself) who seem to play 9 more oftenā€¦?

Putts in a round isnā€™t a great assessment of actual puttingā€¦

My personal goal for a competition would be something that is repeatable and helps develop a skill. More to encourage people to practice than anything.

Things like:

10 putts from 8 feet. How many one putts?

10 balls at 20 feet, how many total strokes to hole them out?

Chipping ladder drill with a 30 foot target, how many balls?

Basically any short game game thatā€™s been written about in a golf book! :joy:

Aha, got it, thx!

Interesting idea - Iā€™m trying to think of where I could set up practice stations like that ā€¦ there may be one spot for me, but not sure enough people have access to similar placesā€¦?? TBD I guess.

I started a thread on itā€¦ Hopefully most people have access to a putting green, but I guess that might not be the case right now!

Could we add the handicap of the contributor, maybe as a range (hcp 0-5, 5-10, 10-15,15-20,20-25,25-30,30+) ? I think the level of a player impacts on how he/she looks at things and it helps to have an idea of the level of the player when reading and interpreting a reaction.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a pretty slippery slope IMO. I can understand wanting the context to help interpret responses, but it could easily turn into a badge of perceived expertise. In an open forum, I donā€™t think my opinion should be considered more valid as a single digit handicap. If the information is presented in a clear, evidence backed way then it should be considered valid, even if not something I personally agree with, regardless of how the presenter scores in a round.

3 Likes

ā€œThatā€™s a pretty slippery slope IMO. I can understand wanting the context to help interpret responses, but it could easily turn into a badge of perceived expertise. In an open forum, I donā€™t think my opinion should be considered more valid as a single digit handicap. If the information is presented in a clear, evidence backed way then it should be considered valid, even if not something I personally agree with, regardless of how the presenter scores in a round.ā€

^^ Excellent response, thank you.

This is not about being more or less expert, but responses vary between a single handicap player and a high handicap player. Giving an indication of handicap could help to better position the reply. I think this is most relevant for some elements like what improvement drills to focus on and less for others such as food during a round.

I think i get where youā€™re coming from ā€¦ but just my own feeling is it may rub up against the general intent of an open forum / open discussionā€¦

Personally, when and where it seems appropriate - for example when talking about technique or practice drills - Iā€™ll usually introduce myself as ā€œaverage bogey golfer hereā€ to provide background context. (and fwiw I donā€™t even have a hcp - I donā€™t play competitively)

2 Likes

@jon How about a junior golf development sub? GlofWRX has a good one we could work off of.

3 Likes

Hi Jon, Iā€™ve listened to all The Sweet Spot podcasts and I would like to respond to some of the ideas presented there in a thread here.

Thanks,
Don

1 Like