Strength and Speed Training

I’ve been seeing a lot on Twitter about top level golfers working to build their speed. @ScottFawcettDECADE is famously chasing 130 mph driver clubhead speed.

Been thinking about this as it applies to my game. I’ve had a recent run of really good play that coincided with me trying to slow everything down and hit the middle of the face. I haven’t really noticed any loss of distance by doing this. I know from seeing distance data by handicap that I am slightly longer than average for my handicap (currently around 3). I carry driver around 240 yards on average.

Anyway, I would like to keep improving in my game. I don’t have any delusions of grandeur, but at 42 years old, I would like to play more local tournaments and maybe be competitive when I hit 50 in the senior events around my area.

Over the winter I always work to keep my flexibility up but I have never focused on building strength. At my age/skill level with my stated goals, what do you all think? Do I need to focus on building more strength to move to that next level?

4 Likes

I think gaining speed requires equal parts strength, flexibility and technique.

3 Likes

Check out fit for golf!

He has a workout app that is super useful.

@Fit_For_Golf

Mike is also here on occasion, and responds on the app… you can definitely get over 250 by next season!

3 Likes

For sure. And @Craigers is right about Fit For Golf. It pulls pieces from a lot of different fitness areas and has fine tuned them to work for golfers.
There has to be a balance between gaining mass and staying flexible.

2 Likes

Fwiw I agree; those elements work in combo, synergistically.

@Golfer_Jake_78 - I’d also suggest to include (if it’s not part of your routine already) Cardio!

2 Likes

I’m a big fan of the Fit For Golf app.

2 Likes

Pandemic + having two kids + work basically stopped me from having a chance to work out, not that I really did a lot before. I’ve gained ~5mph on driver since last year with super speed (and I’m not even doing that regularly). I’m sure I’m the exception and could gain more with strength/flexibility work (and obviously some practice on the course), but would certainly recommend super speed.

2 Likes

I would say based on my own experience, and learning from guys like Mike Carrol, that strength on its own will not necessarily get the job done. If you want the best results you’ll also likely need to add flexibility/explosiveness to the training. Everyone is different though, but I don’t think it’s a bad idea to do some different exercises that check off all three. His Fit4Golf app is really a great resource.

3 Likes

Not to get too in the weeds here but keep in mind there are diff types of strength. Absolute strength (your deadlift 1 rep max) is diff from speed strength (how quickly you move a load, irregardless of weight). So a program ought to focus on both. Just lifting weights in the traditional sense may not yield much transfer to hitting it further.
I’ve never used fit for golf but it sounds like that may cover a lot of your bases.

3 Likes

Yeah, he designed the program around explosive strength… even his cardio recommendations are explosive (uphill sprints).

He’s very honed in on how to build speed… if you are working out anyways, it’s worth a look… no real specialized equipment outside of medicine balls and elastic bands.

4 Likes

I’ve just left the military after 22 years and the thing that improved my golf the most was calisthenics (bodyweight exercises).

These can be done anywhere, anytime and progressed easily. What they also do is build your core (key muscle), add huge amounts of flexibility and explosiveness through jumps/bounds.

While weights can be productive, not having them shouldn’t be an excuse to not get stronger…for example we all know someone who can bench 250lbs but can he do 1 arm press up?? Strength vs functional and usable strength.

Additionally, not everyone is suited to squats/deadlifts due to pre existing injuries so calisthenics offers a safer way to gain strength.

Add in speed stick training and you have a perfect combo.

4 Likes

As a guy who started golfing as a strong guy, I feel that it actually hindered my speed. I kept getting stronger but that was counterintuitive because I was trying to use my brut strength to swing the golf club. Since getting a fitness coach for golf specific training, I am definitely not as strong as I once was, but I am definitely more flexible and quick. The decrease in strength has helped because I no longer try to use my arms to swing the club, but instead use my body as a very balanced unit. After a year of working with my coach, we have just introduced weights back into the equation. I haven’t clocked my swing speed as of late, but prior to linking up with a fitness coach and using primarily an arm swing, I was already swinging the club around 110-112. I am pretty interested to get back on the monitor because I am using far less energy but know I am swinging much harder (faster).

3 Likes

Yeah, as others have said there is strength and then golf strength… I’m 6’4 and out of shape but hit 112 chs pretty easily… I’m probably generically stronger than average but not significantly.

I think the golf fitness revolution has begun… faster swings leads to lower scores on average… and we now know exactly how to train for speed.

I think the speed sticks are good for people looking to “unlock” their governor and I think specific fitness plans are great to build the strength and flexibility you need to hit the ball farther… combine the two and you get amazing results.

I preach mikes system because it works for me (barring injury, which was my own fault) and I think it’s applicable to anyone and everyone.

3 Likes

I don’t think there’s such a thing as being too strong. How strong you are largely determines your speed potential, but you also need to train for speed to actually reach faster speeds. It’s just that for the adult male with average strength, their speed potential is likely much greater than the speed they currently swing at. I mentioned this in more detail in another thread, but I’m 6’0 195 with poor strength and my gaming swing speed is 115-118mph. An adult man with average strength is easily strong enough to produce 120+ mph club-head speeds.

For me, I think I’ll see more speed gains through strength training as opposed to speed training, so I’m focusing on that. For others, speed training might be the better bang for their buck.

3 Likes

I barely crack 100 these days. 103 is about my max.

3 Likes

@Golfer_Jake_78, you’re my twin. I’m 42, 3 handicap, max out at 103 CHS, average ~240 carry off the tee. I also have similar ambitions re: my game and ability to compete.

I don’t have good advice, but I’m trying some things out:

• #1 I am indeed trying to increase swing speed - goal is to get to 110 club / 165 ball… trying @Fit_For_Golf right now which I figure can get me at least half way there. I haven’t worked out in earnest since high school, so I think there’s some upside here. I’m four weeks in and mostly trying to avoid injury for now, but will work my way up to overspeed training with the program over time (I’ve already got the @SuperSpeedGolf clubs, but haven’t busted them out yet).
  • Have been using @ScottFawcettDECADE’s Decade system - this has been game-changing re: course management. Probably saving me 1+ strokes a round, picked up a fraction at a time
  • Just started using Aimpoint, which has been pretty impressive so far. My SG-putting has improved by 2 in the first two rounds I’ve used it… will be curious to see if that holds up, but I at least feel like I’m holing more putts…

Anyway, I might try and start a new thread on “keeping up your game (and maybe improving) after 40”… would be fun to hear other people’s thoughts on this too.

7 Likes

This is a really good blueprint here!

1 Like

Going in for another epidural today… hopefully my back is healthy by January! I’d really like to get back to speed training.

@jon I saw your post on Twitter about building speed, what are you doing?

1 Like

Best of luck!

It’s going pretty well. I’m determined to add speed while keeping the shorter driver shaft (44"). Right now I’m topping out at about 111-112 when I’m moving well and really go after it. But “cruising speed” is still probably around 107. I’m also paying attention to my strike location and dispersion patterns, which luckily don’t seem to be effected at all so far.

So my goal is to top out at about 115-116 mph by springtime, which I think is reasonable. We’ll see how it goes!

3 Likes

Are you just using speed sticks? Hitting the gym? Or am i jumping the gun on an article you are working on?