Steel vs graphite shaft

Got a question about club shafts.

I’m looking at buying a used set of irons to get me by for a couple years until I can buy a new set.

I bought my first clubs about a year ago - all used and a mix of years and models from Callaway.

The problem is that I staggered them (3, 5, 7, 9, SW) because I was just testing the waters. But I’ve struggled to fill in the gaps as newer club lofts are quite a bit different.

My clubs have graphite shafts. As I understand it, that’s better/more optimal for beginners/slower swing speeds - right?!

The clubs I’m looking at have steel shafts. Is this a big deal/problem? Should I hold out until I can find some clubs with graphite shafts?

Any input is appreciated.

1 Like

Hey Matt. In general, the lightness of graphite shafts will help someone who swings slower get a couple mph faster than with steel shafts. Also (again only in general) graphite shafts will have higher torque (twisting) than steel which can have an impact on ball flight, but is very dependent on swing.
Outside of that, there are no certainties either way and it will all come down to how things feel to you personally. Some people (and a lot of high level golfers) say that steel shafts give them more “feel” and they prefer it. For myself, I tested graphite shafted irons this year and I actually preferred how they feel, so I made the switch. Now, when I do swing a steel shafted iron, it definitely feels heavier, but I adapt quickly.
Unfortunately, if you’re strictly looking at buying a used set there won’t be a way to really test them to see how they feel. That said, pretty much any set of relatively modern game improvement irons are going to give you more consistent results than the mixed set you have now, whether they are steel or graphite.

1 Like

Hey Cory, I appreciate the input. It doesn’t sound like I should worry much about it then, as I’m still working up to a full swing and have no idea what I like or works best for me. I’ll likely give these a shot then and look to get fitted when I’m ready to get a new set. Thanks!

As mentioned on another topic, just got a driving iron. I have a graphite shaft in it. Interested to see how it feels compared to my irons with steel.

1 Like

My first set of irons had graphite shafts, but I did better when I was later fitted into a steel shafted set. My first set was off the rack and the shafts were just too light for me. I had a fitting 5 years ago and went back to graphite, but my current shafts are 110 grams so only about 10 grams lighter than the steel I had. I like the shock absorbing properties as I’m in my 50’s and I’ve had surgery on my right wrist and left hand. Still I’m considering going back to steel again as I felt like many of my iron shots were flying too high and left on my last season. Probably just a swing issue, but it’s easier to blame my equipment ; ).

Any way steel vs graphite is a personal preference. Either way though the weight of whatever shaft you choose can be very important. I would also have all the shafts in your irons match. I think it’s ok with a lighter higher launching shaft in a long iron, utility or hybrid, but the iron shafts should be the same or at least a progressive matched set.

1 Like

What clubs are you looking at? How much are you planning on spending? There are lots of options out there for new and used clubs… you definitely want a more complete set.

If you have a golf store near you go hit graphite shafts and steel shafts. Just see the difference… clubs that feel right help you play better golf.

1 Like

I ended picking the clubs up. Just an older set of irons to get me by for a couple years while I improve a bit more and save up for a fitting and new set

I appreciate the input from everyone! :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Hope they work! Let us know if you like them.

1 Like