Spiked vs Spikeless Golf Shoe Opinions?

Hi all,

The forum doesn’t seem to get as much action as in the past but for the valiant few that still come on board and post I’d love your HONEST opinion. I know this is an old subject, but the last posts about it were in 2021 and I know many advances have been made. Anyways, I am shopping for new shoes. I have only worn soft-spike shoes for the last 20 or so years, switching between FJ and Nike. About 3 years ago I got a deal on Adidas BOA and I love them, but they have finally run their course and it’s time. Many of the new shoes are Spikeless and they are reasonable in price. I do like the BOA system and I know I’m probably going to stick with that. Does anyone have any opinions on Spiked V Spikeless. It does look like real gains in the sole technology, I’d really like to from the forum family. Appreciate your input and the whys and wherefores!

1 Like

One of the last few here.
I’ve tried spikeless a few years ago (perhaps they’ve changed) and really wanted to like them. They’re my yard work shoes now.
Problem was I’d spin out more, especially on damp early mornings. Went back to spikes, problem solved.
Maybe it’s my OFOAT swing. (octopus-falling-out-of-a-tree).

2 Likes

I think it comes down to preference and conditions. Are you a fair weather golfer? Do you play hilly courses?

Spikes work everywhere and are better for wet, hilly, and winter golf. I’ve just switched back to spikes as we’ve had a bit too much rain this season so far (Scotland), and waterproof options are better in spiked shoes. I’ve worn spikeless for the past 3 seasons otherwise and not had much problem with them.

1 Like

I like spikeless, but - with the caveat that I look for a good traction sole. Many now are “lifestyle” on & off course shoes, vs just purpose designed for golf.

I walk when I play so for me I find spikes not as comfortable, especially when you have to cross a paved surface.

Did try a pair with BOA recently but was disappointed with the function - on that particular model the tongue didn’t stay in place and I had to keep tightening them. Would try another pair in the future but I will be sure to try on first vs ordering my size online.

Mostly spikeless as we don’t get wet conditions often in Arizona. Spikes also tend to wear out quickly walking through waste areas (desert). Ecco spikeless are pretty solid footing even in wet weather.

I prefer spikeless these days although I still have a pair of spiked shoes if it’s wet/rainy and I have to play in a tournament.

I like Boa as well and I was able to snag a pair of Puma shoes with that feature for just under $70 shipped which I thought was a good deal. Very comfortable and the traction is good for me.I think my Adidas CodeChaos are a bit cushier, but I find the Boa lacing more comfortable and have been wearing them more often.

I have a pair of both but prefer spikeless. I wore spikeless all year last year even when the course was muddy and slippery. I just walked very carefully down slopes. I don’t mind if my feet move on my driver swing. All that happens after the ball has left

Thanks so much guys. I really appreciate the info! I am going to stick with the soft spikes… They offer a bit more stability…it could be in my mind… we have enough elevation change on like 5 holes where the stability really is important. I use the Black Widow style in my shoes… I usually go through 2 partial cleat changes per year… but I do walk alot! I do wish I could say I walked in straight lines off the tee box though!

Spikeless technology has come so far. Definitely a best bang for your buck for female golfers, because typically we wear them to and from the course. Options available: memberguestshop.com