Slow play on the greens

I’m getting used to sub 3 hour rounds, but out on regular public courses I’ll never get too upset if the pace is under 4.5-5 hours for a weekend 18. Golf is slow sometimes, just I just enjoy being outside. That said, six hours would definitely keep me from playing my best.

6 hour round is absolutely ridiculous

1 Like

I was waiting for a Marshall, an NHGA official, rules official, SOMEONE! to come out and tell whoever holding it up to move their butts. But nothing either day.

1 Like

I really feel for ya on that one. A golf round should not take more time than 4.5 hours. Surprised they didn’t marshall more aggressively at a competitive event.

One of the main reasons I joined a club is because I was going insane with 5 to 6 hour muny rounds. I truly believe any golfer that can break 100 should be able to walk in 4.5 hours. It’s not about skill level, it really is just playing ready golf and not going crazy with green reading and lining up putts.

I’ve written this before, but when the muny banned carts in April / May it was the best pace of play I’ve ever had at the course.

3 Likes

@papageorgio What is your definition of a cart. Here a cart is a 4 wheeled 2 person electric thing and a buggy is a 2 wheeled thing you put your clubs on and pull or push. Back home in Kiwiland they were called trundlers.

1 Like

Well, 42 year old, slightly less competitive golfer here. But I do play well enough that I actually played a local am event last month and am planning to play a few more tournaments next year. I don’t think 4:20 is that slow, just to be clear.

I started using the alignment line on my ball this year after years of not doing it for the same reason you detailed; I’d obsess about the line and feel like I was taking forever to putt. This year I switched to arm-lock style putting to battle some issues I was having with my stroke. After a couple rounds of putting this way I talked to my golf pro and told him I liked it, but I was having trouble lining up. He told me to use the line on my ball. We talked about how I obsessed about the line when I did that previously, and he told me that it doesn’t have to be perfect, but just close enough. That freed me up and I’ve putted a lot better. In 5 tournament rounds this year, I didn’t miss a single putt under 3 feet (i.e. the ones you should make).

I think on short putts, unless the greens are extreme, you have even more forgiveness with the line because you’re close to the hole, so even if you’re a little bit off you’ll still catch the hole and the ball will drop it, assuming you aren’t just hammering the putts.

Lastly I recommend giving arm-lock a shot if you’re struggling. For me it takes all the worry out of setting up. I know that once I have it locked in, I just rock the shoulders and it’s gonna start on the line I’ve chosen most of the time. I can still make a terrible stroke (i.e. it’s not fool proof) but I’ve been way more consistent.

Hey @SeeMorePutters - have you guys thought about making an arm-lock putter? I have a SeeMore but I no longer use it because I went to arm-lock style putting to fix stroke issues. Though I’m not sure how the red dot would work with arm-lock and that much forward press.

Feel free to send us a note at [email protected]. We do not make an arm-lock style putter. Happy to help with any questions you are having with the RST. Give us a call at 615-435-8015. Will talk as long as you want. Thanks for reaching out.

2 Likes

Morning mate

I’m very much in the play quick bracket but I also line my putts as you do, even for short ones.

What I try to do when others are putting it read my putts, find a line and point ahead I can use as a target. As soon as it’s my turn, I’m done, line to the point and then forget it (trust) address the putt, test for pace and hit.

I find this is still quicker than normal routines. Too many times you see players do nothing while waiting then proceed to walk around the hole etc

I get the annoyance but remember you’re not doing it deliberately so don’t take the thought on to the course

1 Like

If you ever did make one, I’d buy it! I also went to armlock, but miss the alignment from my old seeMore.

1 Like

Gotcha - why do golfers go to the arm-lock putter or think they need to go to the arm-lock putter? Might be a good dialogue. Thanks!

2 Likes

I’ll listen to that podcast! Well, I already listen to the podcast, but I’ll extra listen to that one.