Slow play on the greens

This is a great tip, thanks berserker37. I’ll order one.

You get it.

Once a few years back (before nerves crept into my putting) I played in my state open with a full-time player who had spent several years on the big tour and played in a few major championships–probably the most accomplished player I have ever played a tournament round with. I remember on the 3rd or 4th hole I four-putted (hole was cut on a crown). I’ll never forget on the forth putt I heard him say “great putt” when I holed out. Totally genuine. Not sarcastic. I was sort of taken aback as I was embarrassed for having missed two shorties right before. I’ve thought about that moment a lot since. My 4th putt was about 3 feet and I had to aim it outside the hole. It WAS a good putt. Putting is hard–there’s really no such thing as a gimmie under pressure.

Good players…they get it.

5 Likes

Yep, totally get this.

The more and more I hear people disagree about this stuff, the more I think that most people should have a core group of playing partners who play with the same expectations.

As I mentioned, I am a neurotic, money game degenerate who wants to play fast. That’s a turn off and not fun for many people, so we don’t play together.

To each their own

1 Like

I appreciate your perspective. This could be a good separate thread. The ideal foursome…regular guys? Mix it up? Similar ability levels? Same tees? etc etc.

Btw, I love to gamble on the course, too, which could be another good thread! Best games, appropriate stakes, etc etc.

Yep. That’s my wheelhouse.

I do not play competitive stroke play rounds, thus my Rodney Dangerfield attitude.

3 Likes

I don’t use and alignment line on the ball or marker. But I do have a tendency to over read putts. And when I do I realize that my first read was the better one. I would stick to your current routine for tournaments but experiment with trusting your initial read on casual rounds and see how it affects your scores and putts per round.

1 Like

Thanks Todd. It’s not over-reading that’s the problem, it’s finding it difficult to get the line squared up precisely with the read. I agree that the first read is often the correct one. However, one exception is when the first 6 inches of the put have a different break (for instance, if you are being pushed off the side of a bunker). Often, you won’t notice this until you’re over the ball and realize the ball is above or below your feet.

1 Like

I tried putting with a line, and ran into the same problem of not trusting it, but rather than realigning 3-4 times, I would over-correct with a push or pull, especially on the short to mid range putts. I’m better when all I see is a blank white side of the ball, sort of clears my mind.

I also found that I’m better off committing to a quick read than over-reading and being unsure. My read isn’t always right, but my stroke is better that way. 2 good practice strokes, then try to repeat the practice stroke when I’m over the ball. Trust the process and let the results be what they are. That being said, I’m still better off marking from 2-3 feet than trying to hurry and finish out if others are still out as I tend to rush my routine.

I play in under 3 hours solo or 3.5 to 4 hrs walking with my normal group that plays at dawn. Normally a small money game and a somewhat competitive atmosphere and not in a hurry, but faster than a tournament.

I grew up playing a lot w/ my parents who both play extremely fast, and who also will skip around to other open parts of the course rather than waiting behind groups if it’s backed up, so playing fast has always been ingrained in me. Though I played competitively in college, I struggled in slow rounds where I had to wait (which was most of them).

When I play a slower round, whether tournament or casual, I’m better off if I can keep my same routine once it’s my turn to play, but also to look around and enjoy the scenery if I’m waiting rather than watching someone else’s routine or over-analyzing my next or last shot. It’s still a struggle, but I’m working to get better at embracing the round, staying in rhythm, and enjoying my time on the course rather than stressing about the pace.

3 Likes

IF your routine is annoying someone else, sounds like you’re in their head, so keep it up! :joy:

Most golfers would be better off focusing on their own game instead of worrying about your routine, assuming we aren’t being pushed by another group.

3 Likes

I hear you. I jumped in a little quick. I putt more from feel, kind of like horseshoes. I see the line, pick a spot and putt to that spot. The majority of my putting practice is on speed with the occasional “let me make sure I can hit the spots I’m looking at practice.” Anyway, keep doing you, especially when it counts. As far as the complainers go, they secretly probably wish they putt as well as you do.

2 Likes

Seems like the source of the problem is that you’re kind of “in between”: you play casual rounds at your club, but you also play in elite amateur events and aspire to even greater amateur accomplishments. Your diligence on the greens is understood in elite competitions (as it is in professional tours), but not in casual rounds. But you don’t play golf for a living, and you don’t solely play casually.

I say use your casual rounds to work on your preshot putting routine, and try to get your first alignment right, and realign once at most in the name of being a good member of the foursome and getting invited back. In elite tournament rounds, realign as many times as you need without incurring a slow play penalty, as is your right.

1 Like

Combining AimPoint and a SeeMore putter has made me a dramatically better putter because now I have a system. I make my reads quickly with AP, and am confident I’m aligned properly with the riflescope system that SeeMore has. It’s removed a lot of stress and doubt in my routine. Make my read, align myself, and mostly try to put some good speed on it - if it goes in great, it not, putting is hard :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

love this! Great combo here.

3 Likes

Have you tried putting with three lines or even two lines. I have been drawing three lines one red in the middle and two blue on the outside (like the callaway). There’s some science there but I have found it’s much easier to get the ball lined up correctly the first time.

My first read is sometimes wrong. My second read is always wrong.

2 Likes

This is true. Sometimes when I spend too long trying to figure out the break of a putt I can even get confused about which way the whole green slopes.

1 Like

100%. It is easy to overthink the break - what direction is the grass growing? what effect will the wind have? which way is the earth rotating in relation to my start line?

2 Likes

i play a lot with my youngest son and he lines up all putts with the triple track (he is 12)…my nickname for him is
“the human rain delay” on putting…it really isn’t that bad, but i do not mind other people lining up putts, especially if you make them…it beats rushing and then missing and then have to read again…i am sure in the end you save time by taking a little extra to line up your marks

Slow play is a touchy topic with most golfers. I played the state mid-am last week and each round was almost exactly 6 hours (with carts). It wouldn’t have made any difference walking. The pace was ridiculous in my opinion. 4 hours is moving right along, 4 and a half is within reason also. The PGA guys play 4:30 -5 hours and they are considered slow.

I echo the sentiments of some of the other responses saying that it is ok to take your time in competition. You are going to be waiting on the tee most likely anyway. If you are out playing with a buddy, keep up with the group in front of you and nobody can really say anything. If you’re lining up your putt and the next group is leaving the next hole then you and the whole group might want to have a little pow wow saying, “hey guys we need to catch up to the group ahead of us”.

I have no problem telling people in my foursome regardless of the situation that we need to catch up. I have been in tournaments and casual play and for the most part people are receptive to it. If you are not searching for balls constantly and still falling behind then you are taking too long.

For me if you are adjusting your ball 4 times, fine. Just keep up with the rest of the people playing. If you feel singled out like you aren’t the guy holding the group up then say something.

Final note to the “Super fast players”. Don’t expect everyone to get around the course in 3 hours. People pay $80 to come enjoy themselves for a round of golf. We aren’t all members at this particular course. Some people want to play to get a good score and line up their shots. Too many people pride themselves on getting 9 holes finished in 55 minutes and not giving a crap what their score is. If you can shoot +3 in 55 minutes great for you! Most people can’t and don’t want to try or feel that rushed. I will gladly let you play through, or if you’re in my group then tee off before me and I will be behind you the rest of the round.

3 Likes

But the second putt goes in 100% of the time, right?