Skytrak Observation

Over the winter I was able to buy a skytrak based largely on some of the posts in this forum and @jon
posts over the years. I have loved practicing with it in my basement and have seen immediate improvement in my game. I know from arccos that I lose strokes from my iron play. The combination of the divot board and the skytrak is starting to pay dividends as we get the golf season going here in Colorado.

I’ve noticed while practicing that I have a significant draw bias with my irons (which I already knew) but I have also been having a hard time getting the ball started on line. I’ve consistently been 2 - 3 degrees left. I know the skytrak has some limitations assessing horizontal launch angle but it felt like more than that. Anyway, my mat is aligned with the right-center of my net because of the way my room is positioned. I had the thought last night to try shifting the mat so I’m hitting into the center of the net. The instant I did that my horizontal launch angle improved. My left bias was now just a slight draw which is more like my experience on the course. I realized in hindsight that my brain was smart enough to change my swing a bit to find the safety of the center of the net. I am 100% confident this was what was driving that left miss on Skytrak. This got me wondering how often our brains adjust for things on the course without us realizing it. I’m not sure what the answers are but I will definitely be paying attention to how my brain perceives and reacts to targets on the course.

Not sure if anyone else has ever had a similar observation but I was fascinated by it and I feel like there is some way I can use it to improve, just not sure how yet.

3 Likes

I bought a 13x20’ garage for my practice area. At that width I had to set up close to the right wall. It really screwed with my eyeline and start line for awhile. The mind is a crazy thing.

2 Likes

I have a SkyTrak and it has helped me to work out my bad hook. It is really frustrating to me though. When I hit balls on the SkyTrak the distance is 10-20% shorter than I hit my clubs when playing or practicing at my home course. I therefore always overswing when hitting with the SkyTrak, which doesn’t allow me to work on things properly when practicing with it. Do any on you have this problem?

1 Like

When I had my SkyTrak I adjusted the elevation setting until my distances matched what I see on the course.

2 Likes

Alignment is a huge issue and something I always try to be conscious of … and careful with … when setting up for a shot - on the course, on the range and also when practicing indoors.

I also have a SkyTrak; when I got it I added the metal protective cover - which has a channel along its front edge … into which I lay down an alignment stick so I’ll have a visual reference line of what’s “straight” to the SkyTrak.

I’ll try to snap a pic later and post it.

There is also an “Alignment” function which displays 2 red dots onto your mat, so you can see a parallel line along the way unit is pointing … you could put an alignment stick down parallel to those dots and use that as your reference/target line.

Thank you so much. This fixed my problem, and I’m back to working with my SkyTrak.

2 Likes