Single plane swing

Does anyone use our have experience with a single plane swing? Any thoughts on moving from a conventional swing?

I tried it last night. Duck Hook…that was enough. Lol!!!

3 Likes

Honestly? I don’t really understand what a single plane swing is.

1 Like

Easiest place to see the difference in at address where the arms and shaft form an angle. This means the hands and clubhead are moving on two different lines (planes). By having the arms and shaft in a straight line, they travel on the same plane which single plane proponents say gives a mechanical advantage for making a consistent swing. Basically, think about how an “iron Byron” swing robot swings a golf club. That’s a single plane swing.

For my swing, I’m single plane(ish) but not 100%. I stand tall at address and that really flattens the angle formed between my arms and the shaft.

Makes sense. Thanks.

Not a huge fan of trying to fit into a swing model.

There are a lot of different patterns on tour, but everyone syncs up hip to hip (impact zone) and obviously there are parameters in technique that generally allow people to be more consistent

I’d start with impact and ball flight and work backwards

My best friend does it. He’s easily the most naturally talented of our group and his game has gone to complete s*** since switching. His hdcp is up to about an 11 from a 2 and he’s hitting his driver about 40 yards shorter than he used - I wish I was exaggerating. It’s painful to watch.

I think it can be done and it can work, but you have got to put in some serious time to get everything in line.

1 Like

wow, that sounds absolutely horrible!

I’m telling you, it hurts to watch. I just want to shake him and tell him to groove it naturally. He’s got this perfect lefty rhythm. It’s like Griffey Jr on a golf course. He just needs to get out of his own way.

1 Like

Have you thought about having an intervention?

“Steve, we love you and want you to be happy, but you’ve been doing swing changes and its ruining our weekend round. You used to be hitting par 5s in two, and now you are barely hitting it on in 3. You need help. Please listen to my friend Adam.”

3 Likes

If you are considering the single plane swing, you need to read The Plane Truth for Golfers by Jim Hardy.

Of course I have tried it!

A list of swings I have NOT tried is in the Space Below: In There Entirety!!!

1 Like

Just go stack and tilt and flush it every time.

1 Like

Only go Bryson if you can go full Bryson. Going half Bryson can be tragic!

1 Like

Gonna need a few more protein shakes…

1 Like

Yeah it doesn’t help my buddy is 6’ 1”, 150 soaking wet.

2 Likes

Other then Graves videos on single plane swings, are there others you recommend?

Why do that? Just up the bet!!

Just tried it at the range, then at a course.
Lost distance, but gained consistency in hitting the ball straight.
(Arccos Caddie sensors say I’m around 21.9 handicap after 13 rounds of data)
I think I’ll adopt this single-plane swing method, and see where my handicap is in a month.

1 Like

Hi, I’m Cory. I can’t stop messing around with my swing.
There, now that we got that out of the way, I decided to mess around a bit with a single plane swing out in the backyard. I think I might have found a real key in it for me, ulnar deviation in the wrist at address (basically the opposite of a cocked wrist):

I could tell based on the pattern the practice balls were leaving that I was hitting the dead center of the clubface every swing with this (practiced a 5i, 3w, and driver). Holding the wrist in that fashion was uncomfortable, but not painful. Might just be another thing I have to try out there…

1 Like