Simulator Practice

So I’m 4 days in to having access to a simulator, and it’s definitely FUN but now it’s time to make it USEFUL.

I spent the first 2 days with wedges in my hand, just working on getting distances down. Honestly, not even multiple distances right now… just grinding a “half swing” feel and seeing how far it goes. I need to do a better job of tracking this, but this week I was adjusting to the space and getting used to swinging a club again…

I’ve done the Foresight monthly challenge three times now (poorly)… high score online is 54 and I think I hit 20… It’s 14 shots at various distances… I’m enjoying using it to just hit different distances and work on dispersion. My short wedge game is KILLING me, score wise. It might be good for me to separate the visual of a target from the distance… I’ll do better if I trust my numbers vs focusing on what I can see.

On the fun side of things, I got to play the par 3 at Cor Delaine, the famous island hole… it’s pretty cool. I only hit the water short on gross mishits, so I feel like my target selection was good!

It’s definitely been a good tool to bring my game back online more quickly, and I’m excited to use it over the winter to improve…

2 Likes

I have said this alot on here, you kinda proved my point here a bit. Pick a distance, pick the wedge, and hit full shots to begin with, like try 300-400 shots a session. Throw the other clubs in the trunk. when you can pull the trigger mindlessly, then start playing around, with that one club, on high shot/low shot, half shot. I promise you, if you do that, your game will improve, scarily improve. The coolest thing I saw last weekend was Westie took a sharpie and wrote his distances on his clubs. I’m all on that now! I mean you can get to the point of knowing, if you ever listened to the current US Open champ, 58* 9oclock or 10oclock, or whatever. That’s when you can see how much things are fine tuned, but you cant get there without hitting a crap ton of shots

One of the great things you can do with a simulator is experiment. If you listen to the Sweet Spot, both Adam and Jon talk about doing the opposite. To me being able to quantify the differences is a huge advantage.

1 Like

I haven’t used the simulator for practice a lot, but I found it tough trying to hit less than full shots. I would have say a 40 yard shot and I felt like even after multiple attempts I could have done much better on the course lol. I actually did a bit better when the pro told me how far to hit it and I didn’t even look at the screen…not sure what that tells me, but don’t be surprised if I post that I’m closing my eyes for everything inside 80 yards lol.

1 Like

Sometimes 70-20 I think it looks like I closed my eyes whether I did or I didn’t :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Yeah, that part of it has been super interesting… I haven’t worked on it a ton, simply because I don’t have many shots per round from 80-20 yards at my home course… but it has been way more challenging to hit a 60 yard shot than it has a 120 yard shot.

I honestly only know about the issue because of the skills challenge!

I’m still getting used to the newness of it, and honestly today was the first day my swing felt back to normal after a long lay off… Next week I’m going to start grinding more drills…

Looking forward to trying the Adam drill on distance consistency!

1 Like

@jon do you know how to use a foresight to check your lie angle?

We have the hawk and it should be able to do it, but I don’t know what is needed to generate the data… seems like I might need to put 4 reflective dots?

Any idea?

Thanks!

Did they purchase the additional club data add on? If so it should display dynamic lie angle and impact location with the stickers on the face of the club

1 Like

Probably not… I’ll check.

I can get path information with 2 dots… quick
Google search said I needed 4 dots but it’s good to know it might be another software option.

Just looked at the gc instruction manual and apparently my golf staff did not read it…

We have the package to get what I want, but I need to put stickers on correctly… hopefully can knock that out tomorrow and then I’m going to check my lie on Tuesday.

1 Like

Lie is definitely off… I need to go get everything bent 2 degrees up… Good times!

Also figured out I need to radically improve my shoulder mobility to get to the inside of my golf swing…

My pro was showing me what to do, and simulated holding a tray of drinks with his right hand… I can’t get my hand to 90 degrees like that. Whoops.

He gave me some stretches and I’ve got an excercise band at home… going to hit up some Fit for Golf stretches as well… I’m interested to see what happens to my swing if I add mobilitiy.

2 Likes

Got irons adjusted… shoulder rotation still sucks… in to out is now a long term goal…

Just need to figure out how to account for the straight block left with a slight out to in swing.