Should everyone see a golf coach?

You need to interview your coach on the 1st lesson and tell him your goals.

I go to someone who learned under chuck cook and is a former baseball player. I played baseball so it really works for me to hear him coach different things.

He was also very frank with me when I told him my goals (better compression, better driving and more gir s). He said if you really want to get there you need to hold the club a knuckle stronger and learn to rotate. He said very matter of factly that grip changes suck, and that he could give me a band aid if I had events or tournaments coming up.

We are 4 months in and I feel like I am on the right track. First 2 months were brutal but now I am really seeing some results. I also had a playing partner comment that the sound of my compression has really changed. Felt really good to hear that

2 Likes

I also really liked when he told me the following piece of advice.

“There’s no use in getting another lesson if you haven’t had 4 or 5 range sessions working on what we discussed last and you can’t make this change with out getting to the range once per week and doing some drills at home”

Just cemented my impression that this guy wasn’t going to blow smoke up my rear end

4 Likes

With my in to out path swing I couldn’t stop shanking my irons so had a lesson with the pro. He made me stand closer to the ball, have me weight further back at address and swing more upright. Also work on the 9 to 3 to sort out release and low point. All good and I started to hit straight high irons. Then I started to fade my driver and that led to missing left and right. As a hooker that was unacceptable after being used to only 1 miss. Then I started hitting shanks again and rather than waste $ on another lesson I found my own unconventional fix. The whole reason I changed to a flat in to out swing was to avoid missing shots right. I was sick of hitting fades when it didn’t matter but when ob was on the right it would become a slice. I feel the pro wanted to completely change me without addressing the reason for the lesson, the shanks.

2 Likes

That’s awesome, and that’s really at the core of this discussion - someone who actually cares about your progress vs someone who just wants to take your money…

The problem … as had been mentioned … is finding that “right” person for you - especially for newer golfers who don’t yet have the experience to evaluate who could be a good coach for them.

2 Likes

Try and find some low handicap golfers that have been at it for a while and ask for recommendations

I asked a former college player at our club who is still a plus handicap

He made the recommendation and I found a match.

I have had plenty of two date burnouts with some other instructors though :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That’s a great insight

1 Like

But the most important part of the story is omitted.

In the name of sweet baby jesus, please tell us more about the unconventional fix.

:rofl:

1 Like

Still swinging from the inside with my left hand trying to brush my right trouser pocket on way to impact. Now I don’t hook anymore. Straight to pull draws.

2 Likes

Hey everybody, I’m looking for some advice. Long story short, I’m completing a masters on coaching and recently left the teaching profession and my coaching duties with it. It has afforded me time to enjoy competitive sports and find the the game of golf.

For my masters program, I would like to take a golf lesson and interview a trainer/coach/ or club fitter. Maybe all three. How do I go about finding a coach or a trainer? I live in a small town outside of the Minneapolis area and most of my golf buddies and connections don’t really know any trainers or coaches. Google hasn’t been much help either.

If I’m spending the money and time, quality is really important, not only for my assignment, but for the sake of learning and financial reasons as well. Any tips on how I might find a good connection?

2 Likes

Somewhere on the PGA website are pages you can look for PGA pros in your area. Also check out golf courses … public or private … near you and look into the pro(s) at the course.

There’s the online option but that doesn’t sound like what you’re looking for, for this project … although it is a way to connect with people you might not otherwise.

2 Likes

If you are open to online stuff, there are plenty of options. My buddy Jayson does online stuff. He’s been super helpful for a number of people I know.

https://www.instagram.com/nickolgolf/

He’s a smart guy and willing to make time for people, just tell him craigers sent you.

2 Likes

I would actually take the time to investigate the support teams for Minnesota college sports and also reach out to the same Professional Support teams that would be available for the Tims, Vikes, Twins, Wild. I would bet that one of them or more would be more than amicable and allow you to interview them and assist in throwing together your Masters Thesis…I would begin by hand writing letters to the communications director for all of the above! Good Luck! (A long story, but I did get to spend 15-20 minutes with Pat Croce when he was working for the Flyers to speak about Professional athletes and Nutrition and he was incredible —OMG that was 40+ years ago :frowning_face:)

2 Likes

You probably already know better than us.
I am not sure what you are asking. I read that you have a concept on what makes a good coach and different strategies for effective coaching and are trying to marry that into a practical way of selecting a coach. But i think for most people the concept of golf coach is at least a year if not multi year commitment. Style matters. Similar idea of how to communicate effectively matters. Probably specific goals matter. I’m not sure if you are equating coach with teaching professional or athletic trainer or what?

I too live in a small town. I think you have to decide in person only or not. If i person only, you have a short list and start calling. If online, still more or less the same approach except the potential list longer and you will have to filter first. You probably are more savvy at internet searches than the olds here. I am sure google can help you, but you may need to ask it differently.

Good luck to you!
Hope you find the right person.
If you do, please let us know so the rest of us can call him.

3 Likes

As noted, coaches, in this context, are going to be PGA professionals. Many, especially if they’re affiliated with a shop/range/course, are going to offer clubfitting services too. You could try grossly overkill types of searches like Golf Digest’s Top X Hundred, etc… Hazeltine CC is near there, right? A call there, explaining yourself and your credentials, might provide some more contacts, if they can’t help you.

3 Likes

I didn’t even think about Hazeltine!!! One of the guys I graduated and completed my Undergrad work in college with back in 81,…Eric Rule…is the big Kahuna @ Hazeltine. If you are near Chaska, I could contact him and maybe ask him to put you in touch with the Pro to help you on your quest! Feel free to ask…

3 Likes

I am actually near Chaska, and I would really appreciate that!

3 Likes

I’ll shoot you a private message

Tanner!

Check ure PVT mssg. The Big E will hook you up! He’s a great guy!

1 Like