Sentio Sierra 101 Putter - Any Experiences With It?

Anyone have any experience with the Sentio Sierra 101 Putter?

I’m a polymer mill-and-drill hobbyist and I was searching for polymer putting head blanks when I came across “Sentio Golf”, a young company in Massachusetts that makes a polymer-injected putting head, sandwiching a metal blade with a metal body using injected polymer as a kind of shock absorber between the two; there are three grades of polymer fill, “soft” (green), “medium” (red), and “firm” (blue). Further web-research appears to indicate a cult-like following for this putter.

Anybody ever use one? It’s a 300 dollar proposition with a 30 day trial period.
Thanks!
Billy

2 Likes

Super interested if it saves me two strokes. Im not normally a plumbers neck guy though.
How does plumbers neck compare with double bend?

1 Like

I gotta agree. The offset is somewhat offputting. For me, I think it comes down to the kind of putter I want for comfort in the longer ranges. I can use anything for a short putt. But for longer putts with more power in the strike, I would prefer a non-offset design. When I look at plumbers neck designs, I mostly envision a tool designed for golfers looking for improved results in the two-to-eight-foot range.

What I really want, is immediate improved performance in the twenty-foot-plus range, and I don’t really see a plumbers neck getting me there. I currently use a no-offset mallet.

1 Like

Well I pulled the trigger on this one. Bought a “soft” (green polymer filled) putter and got it yesterday. It’s a whole different feel on contact, to be sure. Here are my initial impressions having gone out to the practice green for a couple of hours -

• It’s deadly within seven feet. It could totally redefine my short game. But then again, I wasn’t really looking for a seven foot putter when I bought it.
  • It’s a really nice blade putter. They’re getting harder to find, and this one is quintessentially nice.
  • I’m having problems with it long range, just like I thought I would (see previous posts). I don’t know if it’s the offset thing or the lack of weight, but it’s not as comfortable from across the green as a heavier mallet head.
  • Inside, on carpet, I can drop twenty three-footers in a row; the feel is that consistent.

OK so I stand corrected. I originally posted that I wasn’t looking for another seven foot putter. But it turns out that I got one, and I’m getting better results from it than I would have banked on.

I’m not totally convinced that this is the “one putter” that I would take everywhere for everything. But for fast surfaces and short putt confidence, I’m not sure anything else I could carry is gonna come close to this instrument. I’ll stick with it for three months and come back here with subsequent impressions.

Thanks!
Perdido B.

(Addendum - I got the “Century Edition”, a run of 100 that celebrates the creation of this club. Mine is #68. Other than some surface cosmetics, it’s the same club as the “Sierra 101”. It arrived UPS-sig-required within 10 days of initial order.)

4 Likes

Keep us updated… do you think the soft feel is making that big of a difference?
Why is it deadly from seven feet?

1 Like

I’m developing a number of theories about this… First, for me, “deadly from seven feet” means that I am demonstrably reducing the probability of missing a seven foot putt by using this putter. I’ve been testing this along the way by referencing my old putter. I’ve come to the following conclusions:

• The Sentio putter puts a number of features into my hands that I would not have pursued, and consequently would have continued to miss out on in my choice of putter. These include:
    a) hosel - I would not have selected a plumber’s neck design unless forced upon me; this turns out to be a premature judgement in hindsight.
    b) offset - same as a). I was simply prejudiced for no good reason.
    c) weight - I would have NEVER spent hundreds of dollars on a putter that didn’t offer me both hefty weight AND the option to further dick around with the distribution.

For a) and b), all I gotta say is, “It is what it is…”. But I’d like to drill down on item c) in more detail here.
The Sentio is by far the lightest putter I have ever tried putting with. I’m talking like factor of two here. Between the sheer non-weight of the head, and the “soft” touch introduced by the use of a polymer sandwich design isolating the putting contact surface from the rest of the head, I find myself having to work to overhit a seven foot putt; I’ve been sinking seven foot putts at the same rate that I normally hit a five foot putt - if that doesn’t instill a full bottle of confidence in my game, then I don’t know what will. So basically what I’m saying is that I can’t in any meaningful way ascribe this immediate increase in putting accuracy to an injected polymer sandwich design, much less the choice of “soft” versus “firm” polymer. I CAN perhaps more meaningfully ascribe these results to completely different characteristics of conventional putter design than I would have ever been otherwise inclined to experiment with.

Sidebar: I’m awaiting the arrival of my new The Open 150th Commemorative Putter from the R&A Shoppe. Their putter design is almost identical to my new Sentio’s, except for the polymer-in-the-head feature. It’s also a light blade, unweighted design with a nearly identical offset-and-hosel, so maybe this is the new trend in putters that I seem to have missed. Either way, I find it encouraging that a good putter design managed to find me, and at a time I was willing to experiment.

BUT… I haven’t managed to recalibrate my swing (or more likely, my sense of touch) to using the Sentio on longer putts (I mean, like fourty feet and out); I’m really acclimated to doing the Pendulum with a heavy piece of steel and guiding the ball onto a desired path. With the Sentio (and most likely any other light blade design of this type) I’m having to “push” the ball as much as “strike” the ball, and it’s not proving to be an easy process.

I’ve thought about this “short-vs-long” dilemma for years now, and I know what the solution is. Regrettably, the “short putt” to an engineering solution violates USGA “adjustability”. But I would LOVE to be able to walk onto the green with a weighted mallet putter, take my sixty foot stroke, and then pull the weighted mallet part off, revealing an unweighted blade putter for my short putt into the cup. My weighted mallet extension would be magnetically attachable/detachable, and add about heft x2 to the head. I might even have multiple weighted mallet extensions, each one weighted differently for different uses, including off-green cuts.

3 Likes

i wonder what the strokes gained breakdown would have to be to justify carrying 2 putters… If there wasn’t a club count restriction, would it make sense to carry 2 different putters?

1 Like

In my own personal opinion, NO QUESTION ABOUT IT. Not only would I carry two putters, I already know what kind of putters it would include. But even more importantly, I would start carrying about four different wedges. Now we’re up to six clubs. That leaves Drvr, 5W, 7W, 9W, 6i, 7i, 8i, 9i.

Now we have a bag totally dialed into Olde People. Like moi. My favorite three clubs are Driver, Wedge, and Putter. This collection emphasizes these clubs and provides for nuanced use through the spectrum.

Three footnotes: 1) I’m olde. 2) I live in Florida, Land of Slow Big Greens, and 3) Half my game is spent within 120 yards of the green.

3 Likes