Season Long Goals

This just summarized my golf game. I personally enjoy going out there and attempting the “hero” shots rather than playing smart. I know I would post lower scores more often if I played smarter more often, but I dont play in any tournaments so I am all about having fun. When it goes real bad, I just laugh and remind myself I am playing golf.

2 Likes

I did this for a few years… it’s definitely fun.

I’m now focused on lowering scores, and it’s a different sort of fun…

Once I get down to my goal handicap, I’m hoping to play over aggressive golf and see how it does.

2 Likes

I am not saying to throw caution to the wind and play hero shots : )

Couples talks about how much Raymond Floyd helped him think through and play a golf course… it is not about removing strategy

I am talking about detaching from the results while you play and being optimistic and having fun

4 Likes

Yeah I get what you are saying. I still go out there and play smart golf a good amount. But I have found myself swinging away and playing “fun” more often. IMO there is a fine line between “fun” low scores, and “fun” aggressive/hero golf.

That is the exact reason I may go shoot high 70s or high 90s any given day.

1 Like

Detaching enjoyment from “results” is the key to any pursuit, but for golf I think is especially needed.

4 Likes

Yep, I want to do the majority of my thinking off the course:

• pick targets and clubs off the tee
  • commit to taking medicine if i get in trouble
  • scout out greens that have significant penalties / hazards to avoid
  • look at greens and understand where the fat parts are and a good miss is
  • strong bias for middle of the green at middle or back yardage
  • internalize that putting and dispersion has variance; what you shoot day to day doesn’t necessarily mean anything about whether you are better at golf
5 Likes

Agree wholeheartedly. Had a similar attitude for today’s round, didn’t get a great score but learned things! Steady wind of 18 mph, with large gusts - but so warm out, just had to forget any pressure to score, and enjoy the moments!

3 Likes

My only goals are 365 rounds a year, and par every hole each month. So far up to 315 rounds and this month it has taken me 14 rounds to par every hole.

5 Likes

My goal was to improve my handicap by making fewer doubles and playing smarter.

Turns out I also needed a lesson to do it but I did drop my handicap from 4.0 to 2.5. Pretty happy with that.

Next year I’m hoping to play a couple local Am events and find a way to feel more comfortable in tournament golf. There are too many good players here to realistically think I can compete to win at this stage.

5 Likes

Out of curiousity, what did you learn from your lesson that helped improve your game and drop your handicap?

1 Like

That’s also my goal for next year. Playing tournament rounds even just in my club the last month or so has been really eye-opening for my game and is challenging me to improve. I’ll try to play any event that’ll have me next year (but yeah, here in SoCal the level of play is going to be off the charts).

2 Likes

My setup was all out of whack, which was forcing me to make a bunch of compensations to hit it well. It was costing quite a bit of distance as well.

I’ll probably play my city Am. The state mid-am I’d also nearby so maybe I’ll go play that for the experience.

1 Like

Get and stay healthy was my primary goal. My surgical escapades have been documented on here so I won’t bore you but PostOp I was lacking balance, muscle function and capacity. Playing 18 would put me on the shelf for a week. Started working with Thomas Malchow w/ Trainfuly in January and I carded 71 rounds so far this season. Less than my norm but I’m beyond grateful because I’m playing golf and I’m not in pain. I still have work to do physically from now until April but the plan is working. One lesson learned was trust the plan and have patience.

5 Likes

Interestingly, this season has already seen birdies on two of the holes I missed last year… and I left a putt a roll short on a third…

I look back at this stuff and realize that I’m playing significantly better this year, but my scoring and consistency just aren’t back yet…

4 Likes

Good on you! My goals are to just get out there (haven’t yet due to weight gain and lingering carpal tunnel) but I have to say, a recent visit from my brother (couldn’t play due to thunderstorms) and seeing Mickelson win the PGA at 50 (oldest ever) are inspiring me to get going!! And have to try out my SeeMore putter in actual games.

4 Likes

So we are into the end of June, and I have a decent number of rounds under my belt… post injury and lay off, I’m still not 100% back with my swing, but things are starting to turn around…

The Good:
Consistency… my bad days are high 80s, my good days are low 80s… while obviously I’d love the good days to be BETTER, my bad days have been a significant improvement over where I was… Previously, I was just as likely to put up a 95 as an 81… this year my range has tightened up significantly. I’m interested to see what happens when I get to where I feel like I’m playing well… I’m hopeful that my range will move with me, but maybe my good scores will just be lower.
Putting: I don’t dread putting anymore… and I feel like I have actual control over the golf ball… I have a ton of work left to do on this front, but I’m seeing progress, and it’s awesome. I think I need to start working on my alignment, as I’m now actually hitting the ball consistently enough for that to matter…
Bad:
Swing still feels wonky… It’s getting closer, and I feel better than I have previously… but I just need to grind some time on it, and haven’t really had the opportunity. I have some time next week to get in range time but can’t play, so I am planning on grinding some time on the range… this is more a matter of getting in reps than anything else…

Overall, I’m happy with where I am and going to keep working.

3 Likes