Quick Question - Who uses iron covers?

I’m wondering who here uses iron head covers on their club set. Currently, I don’t (although I have in the past); but I’m waiting on a new set of irons and I’m wondering if investing $40 in a set of iron head covers is beneficial for the care of the clubs or an unnecessary extra destined for the bottom drawer collection.
Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Billy

1 Like

I’d think they’d help resale value, if that was an important consideration. One reason the set I picked up was comparatively inexpensive, was the seller downgraded the condition due to nicks and dings. Nothing affecting the integrity of the head, mind (AFAIK), but it caused some hefty depreciation in a 2-ish year old set of irons.

Carbon heads/inserts, I’d be concerned enough to get some. No idea if hollow-body irons dent as easily as (from regretful personal experience) woods’ heads do.

2 Likes

I have covers I throw on for golf trips, but otherwise I don’t feel like my clubs bang around much. I use a push cart and I don’t notice them clanging together like I did when I carried. My irons are hollow (P770) and after a season they still look good…of course my season is a New England one and I have a full time job and a family lol.

2 Likes

I have a set set of forged blades. I use covers with a zip so they don’t accidentally fall off.

2 Likes

I use them and … don’t want to divert the thread in a bad direction … but don’t understand the hate many have for them…?

Anyway, you can find cheaper neoprene ones online (eg. Amazon, eBay, etc.). Club Gloves are nice, though.

Another reason I use them and like them is that they actually help protect the hybrid and wood shafts from being dinged!

1 Like

This can be a really big deal. Stress nicks on composites are not good at all. Especially very light, highly-loaded ones.

2 Likes

Exactly :ok_hand:
Over-looked big advantage, I think!

1 Like

I guess shafts exploding during swings is something that happens enough that people have heard of it. Even if it’s an extremely rare occurrence. Which can be even more rare if you don’t bounce the shaft off your back on your follow-through. Or slam the driver back into the bag, etc…

Nasty when it happens though. Not just fiscally either. Composite frag is sharp.

2 Likes

Yep.

Incidentally, noticed a side-benny: I’ve picked up many a forgotten wedge around the greens. Never happens to me; got to pick it up to replace it’s cover. $40 is cheaper than a $180 wedge!

2 Likes

If you play where I often find myself (ie not in the fairway or rough) you too would use iron covers* :wink:

2 Likes

I tend to buy new clubs every 18 months or so, so I like to use covers for resale…especially if you use soft metal forged clubs that get banged up easily. However, if I’m walking and using my push cart, I will sometimes take all the covers off for the day…in the winter I leave them on to keep the heads warm in the bag…and, like someone else said earlier, keeps me from leaving clubs green side…the covers are like crumbs and lead me back to my clubs!

1 Like