Putting Tips or Great Drills

Putting to me is the hardest thing in golf…I can go on streaks where i seem to make a lot or burn the edge all the time and if i see a few go in early its going to be a great day. However, i really do not like putts from 3-5 feet for par…which leads to my lag putts not being very aggressive at all because i want it to be close for a tap in.

Anyone have any great tips that have made a huge difference in there putting or practice drills that seemed to make a drastic improvement.

I have a book called “Make More Putts” by Juan Gutierrez. It is filled with drills and well worth buying. It also has a bunch of tests you can do to figure out what your problems really are. Putting is two different things I think. Inside 10 feet it’s all about can you start it on line. Outside 10 feet it’s speed control. Can you roll it the right distance.

One good drill for speed control is to put coins on the green three putter heads apart. Then another another three putter heads away and finally a fourth one. That gives you one foot, two feet and three feet gaps. Then put a ball at 10 feet away and try to roll it between the first two coins. If you do it go back a foot. If you miss go back to 10 feet. Once you get to 20 feet use the first and third coins so you’re within 2 feet. Continue till you reach 30 feet and then use the first and fourth coins for three foot target.

7 Likes

I would say the ladder drill is perhaps the best one for speed control. There are many variations, but from various distances you are trying to keep the ball in a predefined window (could be 18 - 36").

For example, you could set up buckets from 10, 20, 30, and 40’ away. As you get farther away, the distance to keep the ball can increase. Essentially, you are challenging yourself to keep the ball within the predefined area, which can be two tees set the distance apart.

For shorter puts you can set up a “clock” around the hole, perhaps 4 stations, or as many as 6. Set up distances from 3, 4, 5, and 6 feet (or whatever you want). Keep going around the circle and going through your routine for each distance. Work your way around 3’ first, then 4, etc. etc.

7 Likes

I started using a line on my ball (the callaway ERC works great too!). I practiced <10 foot putts on the practice green, focusing on what I needed to do to get that line rolling end-over-end. If you can get consistent at that, then you’ll be confident in your ability to putt the ball exactly where you are aimed. Those short par putts will be easier, especially straight ones!

Pro tip: when you practice with a line, practice being fast at aiming the line. Don’t be the guy/gal holding up play because you spend 5 minutes lining up a putt! :wink:

3 Likes

Seconded, that’s a great book :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m really focused on improving my putting… it’s the biggest flaw in my game… I threw everything at my putting and have come across a few keys that have worked for me, and things I need to continue to work on.

Short putts… I really like the gate drill here. Two tees slightly wider than your putter, ball in between them… just work on delivering the putter square. This is more muscle memory and confidence than anything else.

From there, play games of around the world or at different distances… make yourself sink five in a row. The pressure on the last putt helps in the real world.

That’s the only thing I’ve really improved on, actually… what I’m working on now…

Eye dominance… I’ve changed my setup after figuring out I’m right eye dominant. I was rolling the ball well on the practice green, but haven’t tried it on course.

Distance control… this is going to be my new focus. I want to learn to consistently hit strokes certain distances and then just adjust length of swing to the conditions of that day… Bryson is the master of this. I think we are going to hear more about his putting technique as he wins more… I think he’s on to something and I’m going to try to ingrain it.

1 Like

Is this the same Juan as in “Juan Putt”?

QUICK COMMENT I am the Juan Gutierrez that wrote the book, “Make More Putts” that is mentioned above. Glad to help anyone with practice routines/drill.

And LOVE the “Juan” as in “Juan Putt” comment. I am just JuanTheGolfer on Twitter.

I love stress-less putting… so I work a lot on two things. Distance Drills to improve my skill in getting the first putt close to the hole, if I do not make it. And putts within 3- 5 feet of the hole… so if I do not sink the first putt, I can confidently make the second one.

So here is a drill that you can use for the shorter putts…which can take as little as 20-25 minutes OR a lot longer.

Set up 5 tees around the hole in a star pattern.
Start with the tees being 3 feet from the hole.
With the ball at one of your tees, and using one ball, going entirely around the hole twice without missing. So you have to make all 10 in a row.
When you have done this move the tees back to 4 feet, and then 5 feet, and then 6 feet.

One way I do this drill is give myself 30 minutes and see how far I can go…

Hope you enjoy the drill and it helps you make everything.

14 Likes

I’m normally not very analytical about my golf game. But reading Dave Pelz Putting Bible taught me a number of lessons about putting that were really eye opening. The book has been around for twenty years but if you haven’t read it, check it out.

2 Likes

I like a gate drill for short putts to make sure my path is correct.

Find a flat putt about 3 to 5 feet long.
Put a ball down and square your putter to the line.
Then, put tees on either side of the putter head giving yourself a little room to either side. This is your “gate” and where you will putt from in this drill.
Next, put a tee behind the tee that’s to the right of your path (assuming you’re right handed) about 4 inches back.

Now hit some putts and make sure (1) your putter doesn’t hit either of the tees in your gate and (2) you don’t go outside the tee that’s behind your gate.

This is a very simple drill for solid short putting.

I’ve been watching the series on YouTube called the Lost Art Of Putting. Really useful. The biggest takeaway I got from it is to spend more time on the speed of puts and don’t obsess over the line.

They also talk about the mental side of putting, which for me is so important. I putt so much better when I’m in the right frame of mind.

4 Likes

I think speed is the biggest key. If you can get a 30 footer close enough, consistently then you won’t have three putts. The goal for every golfer should be no three putts, each round. Trying not to think about the round before and enjoying the moment. I made a goal for the year to go 36 holes without a three putt. I have made it to 34. It’s hard to stay consistent with distance.

2 Likes

Have heard great things about their teaching methods, I’ve been meaning to read their books

cpogoose I couldn’t agree with you more. I use the ERC also and find that it has helped my putting. Not trying to promote the company or ball, but I think if more people would try to use it, they may find out that it will increase their awareness of their line.

I will check this out, thats outstanding…thank you

Going to pick up Juan’s book!!!

Just an fyi on other two resources I was referred to and have found helpful…

• “Unconscious Putting” by Dave Stockton
  • video tips from Phil Kenyon on his website
2 Likes

Unconscious Putting is a great book, highly recommend to anyone who wants to become a better putter.

3 Likes

Juan - I’ve ordered your book on Amazon … looking forward to digging through it!!

1 Like

Thanks for ordering the book… when you get it, you will find in the introduction my e-mail address. Write me if you have any questions, would like help developing practice plans, etc. I did the book as a fun project… Anyways, I hope you apply the ideas in the book, and if you do, I am sure you will: Win More Matches, Have More Fun AND Make More Putts!

Thanks again.

4 Likes

Thank you!! I may take you up on that👍