Putting Practice DIY Hacking

I wanted to share some DIY Hacking I did this weekend to work on my putter face alignment using old home depot tool and some cheap amazon stuff for do-it-yourselfers. To preface, I bought a Blast Golf device a few weeks ago and noticed that my putting face angle was between 1.5 and 2 degrees open which might explain why I’ve been missing some putts lately. Also, I took a putting lesson a month or so ago and the teach pointed out that my start line alignment was off a couple of inches.

If you haven’t tried the Blast Motion product, it’s a great device for putting. It appears amazingly accurate and gives you a ton of info on your putting stroke including face angle, loft, tempo, and backwards and forwards face angle changes. It’s supposed to do full swings and chipping as well, but I’ve only used it in my downstairs indoor putting mat so far.

The first thing I tried to keep the putter square was use a cheap home depot laser level tool which works great with an indoor putting mat as shown below:

Those laser tools are around $15-$20 – mine is so old or I would provide a link. It’s a useful tool which draws a red line that makes alignment pretty easy (also handy for hanging pictures and what not). As long as you put it behind your line and slightly above, it will draw a line on the ball all the way to the target, as well as a line on you putter at address, as well as the back swing and follow through,

The other thing I’ve been fooling around with is around setting my line properly. On a lark, I bought these mini lasers on Amazon for $14 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081T7TQ3V/) which are powered by 3 triple AA batteries. It comes with two battery compartments but one was fine for powering both lasers. If you want to mount the battery compartment near the grip like I did, you also need to find some extra wire to connect it all up. With a little sweat and ingenuity and a whole lot of tape later, I repurposed a cheap old putter to be my Laser Putt 3000:

It’s turned out much better than I anticipated. It’s a great alignment aid as well as good way for me to recalibrate my start line so my club face is square. What I like about it is that I can keep my eye on the ball during my putting stroke and instantly get feedback if my face is square. It takes some calibration to get the lasers pointing the right way and to be straight, but it only took a couple of minutes so if I didn’t have an extra putter I would easily have used my normal mallet putter. The lasers aren’t as powerful as my laser level but they get the job done.

I’m actually surprised no one has a built this commercially; maybe they have but I haven’t seen them. I imagine a clip on version that connects to the shaft of a normal putter would do the trick and by putting the batteries close to the grip, it doesn’t feel too clunky or out of balance.

I cannot confirm or deny that my wife thinks I’m crazy, but for a few dollars, it turned out to be a fun experiment.

8 Likes

I love your ingenuity.

I also have a Blast Motion Golf sensor (pairs with an app on your smartphone) and it really is fantastic! There is a LOT in there … even just for putting … including short video tips covering different aspects of the putting stroke.

One my problems is face rotation and the real time metrics - for this, tempo, plus several others - are huge in helping you work on your stroke mechanics.

In Phil Mickelson’s “Secrets of the Short Game” there’s a segment where he practicing indoors with the Dave Pelz “Putting Tutor” - which I’m sure costs many multiples more than your Amazon creation but really did the exact same thing … show the direction the putter face is pointing.

So good job :+1:

Yeah, the Blast Motion is shockingly good. It doesn’t know how you line up (eg your lie angle or if you are square to your start line) but it seems amazingly accurate at measuring your backswing, your forward motion, and your point of impact for timing/tempo, open/closed face angle, and dynamic loft.

Even if you don’t putt straight back, straight through, it’s a great way to measure your tempo and whether you square your putter face at impact. You can set up your own dashboard so during every putt, it will call out in audio the metric of your choice (eg tempo, face angle, loft). It’s awesome.

1 Like

This is really cool! I am so un-handy that a project like this makes my head spin. Please keep track of your progress with Blast (I agree it’s a great tool), and let us know if you’re making meaningful strides in squaring that putter face at impact.

1 Like

Awesome job. Reminds me of something Albert Einstein gave me. Nice man. Made a fortune in physics.

Now if I could use that laser on the green…LOL

1 Like

Very cool! I’ve found some really inexpensive aids on Wish and Geek as well. I was able to get a couple of lasers and a small magnetic level and some knockoff swing trainers for a few dollars each. I have putting mirror as well which is useful for showing me if I’m set up properly.

1 Like