Proximity to the Hole

Average bogey golfer here… I am, of course, happy to hit a green anywhere when I make an approach shot - trying to drop the ball into a certain zone on the green is not quite yet in my repertoire.

And more times than not you’ll see me laying up to a safe spot short of the green.

And, of course, when I do attempt an approach sometimes I’ll miss and have to scramble…

…it’s at this point that I start to think about proximity to the hole - that is: my goal is to try to chip it close in order to try to give myself an opportunity at a 1 putt.

2 Likes

That’s another ping that sets the guys on your apart from us. They get up and done most of the time.

Just barely “most of the time”. PGA tour average last year for all scrambling (par or better with a missed GIR) was 58%. Scrambling percentage from further than 30 yards away is less than 30%.

3 Likes

From a strokes gained standpoint my short game consistently grades out better than my putting. That being said, if I can putt it, I’m putting it. My results putting are still better than my results chipping.

I will also deliberately try to miss certain greens but those are because I’m far away and there is a hazard on one side of the green. For example, it’s not uncommon for me to aim into the right rough from 200+ into the green with water left.

2 Likes

That surprises me!

I guess like someone mentioned earlier, we’re used to seeing the fantastic saves on the TV highlights … so our (at least my) perception of what that level of player can -consistently- pull off is a bit skewed…

To be fair, generally for those pros if they are scrambling from further than 30 yards out, that means something really bad happened. That said, add another shot to that (so getting up and down for bogey) and I’m sure the percentage would be like 80% or higher where as even good amateurs will wind up with a double from the same scenario.

1 Like

@greenOak

I know I am being a stickler, but you actually aren’t deliberately missing the green. You are moving your aim point to the proper spot based on a hazard!

Some % of your shots hit the green, some % land off the green, but what you are really doing is taking the 1 stroke penalty out of play!

You are doing the right thing by committing to that conservative target and not falling prey to the “maybe I’ll just pull it a hair over left and onto the pin”!

2 Likes

True. More accurate to say I deliberately center my shots at a point not on the green.

2 Likes

Hah, I was fairly certain that’s what you meant, but I guess I am insufferable.

1 Like

Figured I’d throw this here. Maybe not so good for some of you, but for me this is fantastic. Chipping is my Achilles heel and I work tirelessly on it to be better. Until this week, I would hit at least 50% or greater of my chips dead off the hosel or toe. This week I’ve had a breakthrough and have figured out a feel and this is the result. Six balls from six different distances and lies, none outside of 25 yards, none inside of 10 yards.

7 Likes

i really need to check out Decade…if i am 160 yards or in (8 iron for me stock 160)…i am going at the flag unless there is a disaster around…outside of 160 i am looking middle of the green and trying to work the ball to the target.

1 Like

Good job @Gisclairj. But be careful saying you’ve figured something out. The golf gods are fickle.

4 Likes

What’s your handicap? I’ve always been aggressive on pins, but I think it’s hurting my scores.

Hahahaha, that’s true, but it’s more of a mental thing.

1 Like

I think if you learn DECADE, you’ll see why both of those strategies are likely costing you more strokes than they’re saving you :wink:

1 Like

i am currently .8…but i know i can improve…like everyone!

I go on great runs but then i go on bad ones…might be course strategy.

Seems like your strategy is decent!

Probably have to dive into your numbers to figure out if you are overly aggressive chasing pins.

Just about the only part of the game I practice too, SO vital unless you’re hitting 16 GIR every round (I hit 7/8 if I’m having a good day) and yes, no big deal missing greens if you can chip. I think I use a putting stroke too, with nearly all my weight on my lead foot, lock arms and wrists, rock the shoulders.

2 Likes

I’ve been working on this relentlessly for the last two months. In fact, I rarely practice my full swing right now, and instead I mess with my wedges from 80yards in. I choose that distance because no matter which wedge I have in my hand, it’s less than a stock swing. I am just trying to land the ball on the green right now, and not worry so much about the pin location. I have gone from 1 out of 3 balls making it on the green to now about 6 out of 8. Most of the balls that fail to make the green are more alignment issue than distance, and it may not even be so much alignment, but more club at impact position. I am thrilled with this because I know it will help me reduce my handicap significantly as this is where most of us amateurs give away a lot of shots. In fact, this practice was solidified when I read what @jon posted about dropping Mark Broadie’s dropping 10 shots.

3 Likes

If you practice and improve your full swing, you won’t need your short game to be so good. Yes, it’s tougher to improve, but the payoff is much greater.

1 Like