Proper swing positions

Does anyone know of a good resource to match a pro’s swing sequence to fixing a specific flaw? For instance, I tend to hit pushes and hooks and video shows that I come “under the line” and too far from the inside. I’d love to have a swing sequence or slomo video of a player that depicts the specific positions I should be striving to attain in order to avoid such a flaw.

1 Like

I think it’s risky to try to model anything after a pro. Most of these guys get it into positions we can only dream of. I’m not sure what availability is in your area, but even a couple sessions with a good teacher could help you and give you takeaways to work on to get into better position.
Not the answer you’re looking for, but I do think this would be a quicker and more attainable way to improve.

3 Likes

I would advise against this approach. Too many individual swings and too many positions for you to compare against. Like Big Dad said find a lesson even if it’s only one and identify what is causing you to come inside.

1 Like

I gotta agree with @Bigdadenergy, its really unlikely that you’ll be able to diagnose the causes for your flaws. The best thing you can do is get some good instruction, perhaps including video evaluations. Video is a good tool for confirming that you’re making the right change, but most of us don’t have the skills to determine what that “right change” really is.

2 Likes

Appreciate the replies and I knew this would bring in a lot of “get lessons” responses. I’ve done lessons on and off for 10 years, sticking with an instructor for at least 2 years before moving on. Most recently I worked with the same for 5 years but the fact still remains that I have a two way miss and nobody can figure out how to get me fixed. I’m a plus handicap and worked on my game myself the past year with the most progress I’ve ever had so I was going to continue working on my own.

I’m a huge fan of what the guys over at Athletic Motion Golf are doing. They’ve actually got a whole series on Pros vs. Ams using Gears Golf technology. I’m guessing you’ll find these videos to be pretty interesting.

2 Likes

I’ve seen an application that allows you to overlay your swing over anyone else’s. But I can’t find it right now. I will keep looking.

+1 to AMG. They do a pretty good job of explaining the ranges they see from tour players and pointing out some extreme positions that most people physically can not obtain.

1 Like

My teaching pro has a great visual method of allowing me to see my swing positions using a torch. You have to do this slowly but it gives a great indication of where your are during the swing.

Hold a club in your right hand (right handed golfer) and hold a torch against your chest with your left hand pointing down at the ball. Start your take away and the torch beam should move straight back, along the line away from the target, before starting to move inside the line as you coil back.

As you start your downswing the torch beam will come back onto the target line and then move straight towards the target (followed by the club head) before moving back inside the line again some distance in front of your lead foot.

Your club will follow the torch beam some inches behind it but it should generally be on the same path. If you’re pushing and hooking (same problem as I have) you won’t see the torch beam and the club head following each other and that might give you a clue as to where the swing is breaking down.

I tried to find a video of this but couldn’t so perhaps it’s unique to my teaching pro but I did find another torch drill that might also help. Have a look at the 5th ‘Tip’ down on this Golf Digest web page: https://www.golfdigest.com/gallery/random-training-aids-photos-gifs

Hope this helps

1 Like

Hi @rlane2k You probably already know this but the difference between a hook, a draw and a push is club face angle. If you work on always having a closed face to your path you will have a consistent right to left ball shape you can rely on.

1 Like

Thanks @okiwiz. My issue is I tend to come so far from the inside that, if my timing isn’t perfect, I will either over hook or straight push. I’ve dealt with this issue for many years and when my face angle neutralizes my path I hit a lot of great shots. When it is off, I don’t know whether to aim for hook or push. So, while I agree with you and Adam Young on this concept, I want to fix the part of my swing that brings me from the inside and makes the angle matching game so difficult.

@rlane2k Totally understand. As a in to out swinger with a strong grip I am lucky everything hooks. The only time I hit a push is if I deliberately hold the face open with my driver.

Do you try to work the ball both ways? If pushes and hooks I would assume a draw. Maybe try fading the ball and see how that changes your positions. I also noticed on 18birdies app that they have a Swing Analysis function where you can video your swing.

Disclosure, according to the app my swing is terrible because my left arm bends, I have too much head movement, and my hips sway too far at impact. I won’t be using their feedback :joy:

2 Likes

I think you’re looking for Tour Tempo Frame Counter, in app store.

1 Like

How offline is your path? Have you ever been on a launch monitor and had it checked?

If it’s within 5 degrees either side, I wouldn’t worry about it.

Even when you get your path neutral, you are still at the mercy of the “timing” of the clubface direction. Someone who has a +6 path and presents the face 0 to +6 is just as accurate as the person who has a neutral path and presents the face -3 to +3. Both will suffer a two way miss - ultimately, our direction is more of a product of our face control.

With that said, I have extensive libraries of drills in Next Level Golf (click here to learn more) that deal with both clubface and path changes. I even discuss “match ups” and look at how certain pros do it (often in different ways). For example, Furyk has a steep

• steep left arm (left path move)

• Lots of opening of the chest through impact (left path move)

• Hand path working left (left path move)

• Shallow shaft (right path move)

• Hands dropping down and behind him in transition (right path move)

All the above neutralizes each other. Tiger, on the other hand, is more neutral in the above variables. This understanding allows me to make fewer changes in a pupil to achieve a desired impact change, as I can pick a model that represents the player more, and add elements that they have, instead of remodeling the whole thing.

Thanks @Adamyounggolf for the response. The statement quoted does help me think about things differently. On my SkyTrak, I generally see 0-4 degrees right with -500 to -1500 spin left. So that tells me my face angle is overdoing it a bit to get me back to a straightish result. If I play a cut swing, I can get these numbers pretty close to 0 and -300. I’d like to get back to hitting a fade when needed, but maybe I just need to be happy with my cut swing that hits a straight ball.