Pre-round Warm-up

It took a while to endure more than 30 seconds lol. It’s refreshing in August but difficult in the winter. I started doing it over a year ago but only recently heard it referred to as a Scottish shower.

2 Likes

Just had to re-light the pilot of my water heater… hard pass on cold showers… I basically soaped myself, washed off and left.

Great way to save money. Terrible way to start a day. (For me)

4 Likes

Quick update for you sir; 4 months of daily Scottish showers later and I am hooked. Amazing how the initial impact of the cold water doesn’t suck the breath out of me any longer.

Great recommendation, thank you :pray:t2:

3 Likes

Glad you are enjoying them! They are a bit less refreshing in the winter but they do wake you up.

1 Like

Good to know. I may have to try that for my post-round routine.

1 Like

Just checking in with you sir. I’m still going strong with the cold showers. Great way to start the day. Temp here has dropped to around zero (32F) and the water temp is noticeably much cooler than the summer. It’s getting fresh!

1 Like

Yes I still like it as it wakes me up. Definitely more of a shock this time of year.

The Ehlert cites at PubMed, led me down a most enjoyable rabbit hole of improving golf and other athletic activity through physical fitness training. Thanks for the cite.

I don’t do static stretching by itself, but I find that my recovery time and pain/fatigue from practice are both lessened if I first take the time before the session to adequately warm up then stretch. There are a lot of muscles in the legs and lower back, and I will find each one of them the next day if I don’t warm up. Especially my left hip area.

I’ve never been flexible, even when running track in high school. We stretched a lot, but I could get by without doing it. Things change when you get over 30, and really change as I approach 50. It’s not possible for me to play at the level I want, without first getting warmed up and making sure I’m flexible through my needed range of motion. Nevermind that I also really don’t want an injury now, and that spectre is a lot more familiar at 50, than it was at 17.

Next time, I’ll try the “Penick’s 24 balls” method mentioned upthread. Most of my time, after I’ve warmed up, is spent trying to get a feel for green speed and bounce. Short pitches/chips to spots and see how far they run. Uphill and downhill lags. A couple of made 3 footers in a row, and it’s time to play!

3 Likes

So I’m in Scotland now for the weekend visiting my folks. I have to say the cold showers here are on another level! Like so cold it feels like burning :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Maybe well water? We’re on a well and there is water in the tank cold and from the well cold lol.

1 Like