Pre-round Warm-up

I’m still not sure why the weighted club messed me up lol. I was speaking with my pro about warming up before a round without hitting balls and he asked what I did and when I told him he suggested not using the weighted club or swinging 2 clubs together. He felt that was okay for building strength, but was not good for tempo pre-round He thought the Orange Whip was okay, but felt that the heavier trainers were too heavy. I did start doing better after giving it up. I do some stretching to loosen up and then work on the small swings to get the tempo.

2 Likes

I’ve thought about getting an Orange Whip just for the pre-round warm-up. Seems like a great tool for loosening up and getting tempo set.

1 Like

My pro is high on the Orange Whip. I didn’t get one yet, but probably will. I have a similar type club/aide I bought years ago, but it’s noticeably heavier and he feels it’s good for building strength, but not for tempo or pre-round warmup…of course maybe he just wants me to buy an Orange Whip lol.

1 Like

This guy is a good follow on Twitter. He has good research on impact of warm up on performance. The infographics here are interesting. Biggest takeaway for me is that static stretching is actually bad for your golf performance!

2 Likes

Yep. I normally tee off at sunrise, yet somehow my kids are always up when I’m getting ready to leave. Sometimes even run to get the donuts before heading to the course ans they promise to let mom sleep in.

While I would prefer to take care of this at home, (really should have been step 2) this normally follows my first cup of coffee, which I consume on the way to the course.

2 Likes

@Golfer_Jake_78. For the most part, this is what I do as well. Of course, I always begin with a dynamic warmup with focus on my shoulders, hips and upper spine. The last thing I do on the range, is hit the shot I will hit on the first tee. If it’s Driver, I imagine the first hole and hit Driver. If it’s a fairway metal, hybrid, or iron, I do the same thing…visualize the hole and make my last shot my first tee shot.

Then I work on short game and putting.

3 Likes

At my age, I ALWAYS stretch. At least 10 minutes before I head to the course!

4 Likes

A few minutes stretching lower legs. A few (4-5) slow windmills, forward, then backward with each arm to loosen up range of motion. A couple minutes on practice green (chip & putt) to get a sense of green speed speed, rehearse 3-4 driver swings. That’s it.

2 Likes

I’m interested to hear opinions on how I was taught to warm up before I play. First, get up take a hot shower, stretch after I warm the muscles up from the hot water. Second, eat a decent breakfast, some fruit, yogurt, juice, a little water usually a cup of coffee and 4 advils…not kidding. Third drive to the club get there 1.5 hours before tee time, stretch and if we’re at a new course get a scorecard and head to the range. Fourth take some practice swings with an upside down driver, then a 5 iron, then a sw, the a few more with upside down driver. Fifth I hit five balls as hard as I can swing with a SW. Then I look at the card and play my round. If the first hole is 400yds I’ll hit driver, check distance, if it goes 250, that leaves an 8i for me and I hit an 8i to a target…#2 is a par 3 200 yds, I’ll hit a 4iron or 7W…see how the swing and distance are…and so forth until I have played full shots to all 18 holes in my mind I’ve already my round once, now I’m getting a do over to make up for poor shots on the course. When I’m done, Sixth to the chipping green if they have it, I’ll hit maybe 20 - 30 chips. Seventh to the practice green where I do my clock putting drill 2ft out to like 5/6 ft out, then i’ll practice lag putting 3-5 balls to several different distance on out to about 20-25 ft…Then I’ll eat like a banana or an apple and that usually takes me close to my tee time, if there’s more time I might visit the pro shop if I’m visiting and buy something from the proshop, hat/towel…whatever for good karma…

2 Likes

That’s way more than I ever do. Seems like a good plan and very thorough.

3 Likes

Much more complete than my warmup. Only 1 cup of coffee though? I gotta get than 2nd cup in!

4 Likes

2 cups of Joe would get things racing for me and I hate decaf. I mean, the hot shower helps, I eat something anyways. I always get my stuff ready the nite b4 anyway. The course is 20 minute ride, My entire warmup is so engrained, especially at home, it takes maybe 45 minutes. Although we all have jumped from the car onto the tee, I highly don’t recommend that.

1 Like

Takes 2-3 cups of joe for me, but caffeine doesn’t seem to bother me. I can have an espresso at 11pm and be asleep at 11:15 lol.

I’ve become a fan of the Scottish shower. Start off hot and then finish cold. It’s a bit rough in the winter, but it does really wake me up. I’m not a morning person and need the cold shock and 2-3 cups of black coffee.

3 Likes

I’ve transitioned all my caffeine intake to tea… it’s been interesting. Apparently it has theanine (?) in it, which basically slows down the impact of tea… I’m 48 ounces in right now and not bouncing off the walls, for instance.

Scottish shower is probably a great way to wake up, but I enjoy enjoying my showers!

2 Likes

I always start my pre round routine with the Orange Whip. It stays in my bag. Slow at first then full swings as everything loosens up. Main advantage is the follow through is more complete and loosens up those muscles so that I finish my swing. If I don’t get to hit range balls before (I always do if i can) The Orange Whip loosens me up well.

On the range: 9 iron, 7 iron, hybrid, driver, 56 wedge from 10 - 70 yards, chipping green, then putting. After that the fun begins!

1 Like

I’ve reduced my coffee intake and swapped for tea. In the winter I prefer hot beverages as my work and home office are both on the cool side. I have been drinking 2-3 cups of coffee in the morning and then 3 cups of green tea along with water. Not sure it has made a difference for me as opposed to my drinking 4-6 cups of coffee, but I have heard it’s healthier. I stopped using sweeteners and milk years ago. If I drink calories it’s beer and wine lol.

I read about the cold shower for waking up and mood boosting and it really does seem to work for me. I go 2-3 minutes of cold, but in the summer I may do the whole shower cold.

2 Likes

4 cup a day, jittery caffeine abuser here

3 Likes

One other thing. If I were warming up prior to a club event, after warm up (above) I’d hit 3-4 balls each with three or four clubs to get a sense of the shot shape du jour. I’d allow for whatever the tendencies showed.

2 Likes

I love a good, properly brewed coffee and used to take a flask to the course to get me a good couple of cups (plus I buy better coffee than my club does). Figured out after a while that the immediate impact of caffeine threw me off for at least two holes. Really messed up my swing. Bizarre. That said, I can’t have caffeine past about 11.30am otherwise it affects my sleep that same night…

3 Likes

So I’m Scottish and never heard of the Scottish shower, but it kinda makes sense and appeals to me in a money saving way. Who said we were tight LOL

So I’ve been trying it this weekend. Because how can I call myself Scottish if I don’t shower properly?! WOW what a smack in the face of a wake up! Only managing about 10s, not 2-3mins; @Kevomanc you are hard core!

2 Likes