Practice Swings Yes or No?

I only take practice swings on chips and pitches. On the tee or in the fairway I just line up and hit. What do you do?

Definitely practice swings. The course isnā€™t usually flat like the range. Therefore, I like to feel my bend and where Iā€™m going to make contact with the ground. Too upright, miss the grass, too much bend, hit it fat. Once I find the proper bend, I take an additional practice swing to ensure I ā€œlockā€ in the feeling and then address the ball with that same feeling.

One practice swing with the driver on the tee. My approach routine with full iron shots doesnā€™t have a practice swing though unless the lie isnā€™t flat. Around the green, I pass the club back and forth to feel the low point.

I donā€™t take practice swings but have always felt like I should. Iā€™ve never been able to develop a routine that felt comfortable that includes a practice swing.

My routine is always the same with every club. Two practice swings behind the ball, align to target, and hit!

2 Likes

As long as they donā€™t slow down play.

1 Like

Iā€™ll do a practice rehearsal of a swing cue, but not a real swing. Short game stuff Iā€™ll take a number of quick swings, feeling for the ā€œrightā€ length.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been working on my pre-shot routineā€¦ but a practice swing has always been baked inā€¦ my preshot routine is to stand behind the ball, find my target, envision the shot Iā€™m trying to hit. Then I step beside the ball, take a practice swing and then hit the ball.

I am never the slow player in a group (I have my shot, my line and my club picked before itā€™s my turn to hit).

I try to use my practice swing to ā€œfeelā€ the swing I want to take, and then try to focus on one key element of the swing.

I was playing my best golf with this routine.

I donā€™t make a real practice swing on full shots. But I do make a small, left hand only, swing just to get loose. Iā€™ll make 1-3 practice swings on a chips and pitches to get a feel for the shot.

My routine has been to take 2-3 short swings to help find the bottom, then find my line, step in and swing. Being consistent has really helped my ball striking.

1 Like

It doesnā€™t have to be complicated. Just do it the exact same way each time and it helps to have a process!

2 Likes

I like to think of them as ā€œrehearsalā€ swings ā€¦ and to remind myself (and my body) of the mechanics, the moves and feels that I want to (try to!) execute on this next shot.

I always do this on every shot and every putt.

Definitely helps me get ready for the shot.

Fwiw - in interest of pace of play, to the extent possible I try to rehearse ahead of my turn to hit.

1 Like

I take one on the tee box sort of as a cleanser from the previous hole and to get my mind and body sorted for the next swing.

Iā€™m a head case with my wedges. I take a handful of practice swings before pulling the trigger. Itā€™s an issue.

1 Like

I take two swings on the tee with my eyes closed focusing on a feeling of in to out. No practice swings in the fairway or off the fairway. One on chips to feel the brush of the grass. No practice putts.

Sounds strange now that I write it out, but consistent.

1 Like

I like to take 1-2 swings just to try to find a good tempo as I tend to overswing. Sometimes I will make the practice swings with an ā€œovercorrectionā€ of sorts like the Gary Player walkthru or an exaggeration of in-to-out or whatever I am trying to counteract.

1 Like

My only practice (ā€˜rehearsalā€™ - I like that!) swings are when I have a funky lie. Other than that I donā€™t want to think too much - address the ball and let it rip.

2 Likes

I Rehearse 1 swing as part of my pre-shot routine. You can set a timer to it. So yes. If I donā€™t, Iā€™m all outta sorts.

1 Like

My preshot routine is a mess right nowā€¦ Iā€™ve been so focused on the putting side, Iā€™ve let the long game slip.

I do think Iā€™m done with full practice swings, for the most partā€¦ they just seem needless to me right now. I donā€™t knowā€¦ I do like them with weird lies, but otherwise, I think Iā€™m moving away from them.

It seems to me that most pros take their practice swings from behind the ball. What is the reason or advantage to that versus beside the ball?

1 Like

I think itā€™s nice to get a view of the overall target and get a nice mental image, but it can be a matter of preference

1 Like