Positive Mental Imagery

One of my favorite things to do is to watch videos of a full round by one of my favorite pga tour players (Rory is far and away my #1, love Abraham Ancer as well)

He shoots 66 here at the ocean course and I am always inspired by how “do able” it looks. Now obviously I am adjusting for the tees/course setup/wind/pressure, but he hits plenty of unexceptional shots in this round. He NEVER hits two in a row though and he obviously has a great day with approach shots and short game.

For me, the number is not 66, it is breaking par, but I love to play these images in my head the night before a round or the morning of if I have some free time. Loose free swings, center of the face and if I miss? No biggie, make a strong recovery shot and show off the short game.

Got any videos you like? Post em!

2 Likes
1 Like

I am impressed by your dedication. But I have no videos.

Master procrastinator

1 Like

I miss the “make golf look ridiculously easy” Rory :disappointed:

1 Like

Good stuff!

A golfer can also use their own positive imagery - for example, you have your whichever club in your hand staring down a tricky approach … replay in your mind your best shot with that club … “feel” and “hear” the solid contact and “see” the ball flying towards its target…
(…or so I’ve been coached in a mental game clinic!)

2 Likes

Yup.

I like to role play. Put myself in the movie. I may not be able to hit those exact shots but i can emulate the “golf is easy” vibe and maybe even string a few shots together!

2 Likes

I think that Rory is one of the most transparent interviews / clinics and I feel that I have learned a ton from scouring YouTube / golf pass for his videos.

He’s a generational talent but still an open book when it comes to his thought process and prep.

It’s also interesting that he’s been “digital” fasting…probably a lesson in there somewhere!

2 Likes

Bannon talking about working with Rory when he was 8

He’s trying to catch Bryson…

He’s always been capable of generating a ridiculous amount of speed.

I think he was nearly 30 yards longer than the field at 2011 us open. The field has caught up a bit, but I am still taking Rory from today on vs Bryson

I’m with you, he has one of the most beautiful swings I have ever seen. He will play for a long time with it, unlike Bryson, who will eventually hurt himself. I think Ror’s has a breakout year next season. Now that he’s a new Dad and all of that stress is over with.

2 Likes

I am not sure we will see a player dominate like Tiger, Rory, Brooks or Spieth again at the majors. It’s truly incredible those guys were able to find “it” so frequently during their runs.

The tour is so ridiculously deep these days.

1 Like

True story. the competition is just amazing. I mean hell, it takes -8 or -9 to make it through a Monday Qualifier these days.

1 Like

So many good players these days. I still think that the number who can have both the mental and physical skills to win a major is a much smaller number, but the tour is in a good place from a competitive standpoint.

I wouldn’t put those three in the same category with Tiger. History is filled with guys who had a good 1-3 year run and then faded away. It’s too soon to know if those guys will fall into that category or be ranked with the all time greats.

THIS! Thanks for posting it, perfect thing to watch tonight!