Playing in the Cold

With my schedule this year, I’m going to have to get used to cold weather golf. A week in Vegas and a week in the Chicago area for the foreseeable future. I got my first test of the cold this week. Practicing my short game the golf ball felt like hitting a stone. I do like the added challenge of the mental aspect of concentrating through the cold.

1 Like

Rechargeable heated jackets?? Do tell! Never heard of em.

I won’t say I love playing in the cold, but I’ve come to not mind it.

First thing is you have to set proper expectations. The ball isn’t going to fly as far and you’re wearing multiple layers, so get your mind ready to play longer approach shots than you’re used to.

Then do whatever you have to in order to keep your hands warm. I have Titleist mittens that I wear between every shot. It’s an added step, but I find that it helps my touch around the greens (may be entirely mental). Others I know use hand warmers that they purchase at the local HW store (same things hunters use).

I also always wear a stocking cap. You lose most of your body heat through your head, so keeping that warm is critical.

Last thing I’ve found that helps immensely is walking (if you’re able). This keeps your blood flowing and helps you get warm and stay warm.

3 Likes

Game changer, my man. Get you one.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-Men-s-Large-M12-12-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Black-Heated-Jacket-Kit-with-1-2-0Ah-Battery-and-Charger-202B-21L/305322057

4 Likes

Holy crap how have I never heard of these growing up and living in Wyoming?! Looks awesome. Thanks for the intro!

1 Like

I’ve warn a heated vest and it makes golf much more enjoyable in the cold, especially if you put a pair of hand warmers in your pockets.

3 Likes

Some of my best ball striking rounds have been on cold days, as sheer necessity to avoid the stingers. I prefer to walk and occassionally jog with a push cart to stay warm. I normally turn the heat up higher than I need on the way to the course, and drink coffee so I start the day off warm, and maybe do some pushups or some jogging before the round gets going. A timely shot of whiskey or fireball can also help.

Find clothes that don’t restrict the swing but still keep you warm enough is important. I don’t like beanies or anything that covers my ears as I feel it messes with my senses, so I just let my ears get cold. Warm hands is the most critical for me, so I usually keep a Hot hands in each pocket to keep my hands warm between shots. Most importantly, enjoy being out there and embrace the challenge.

4 Likes

I didn’t used to mind the cold, but I have Raynaud’s now like my dad and my hands and feet get cold easily and that makes you cold. My friends laugh at me because I will still wear shorts, but have winter gloves on. The things that help me are:

• dressing in layers. I have UA ColdGear mock necks that are insanely warm and I might wear a thin pullover and a heavier one or use a vest so I can peel a layer off if it warms up. I have become a fan of vests the past year or so as they have pockets and don’t restrict my swing. I like a knit hat and maybe neckie/gaiter to start to keep warm, but will usually peel those off before the turn

• hand warmers and toe warmers (this is probably just me). These are awesome and I even wear mittens inbetween shots. If you have Raynauds then you know. My hands start to get cold in the 50’s now so playing golf when it’s 40 requires heat.

• I prefer to walk to stay warm. I prefer walking any way, but might ride if its 90’s and humid. Riding in a cart when it’s cold is just making it colder for me. I would probably buy some heated clothing if I rode, but its not needed when walking. I even have the mittens that attach to my cart handles. I throw handwarmers in those to start the round.

• I agree a shot of Fireball or something can help. Cafe Patron is nice if you like coffee!

• I hate the cold almost as much as rain, but I try to embrace the challenge. Many times I play better because my expectations are lower and I think I even focus on shots more.

4 Likes

If my feet are warm the rest of me is good. Once my feet get cold I’m done, so I put Hot Hands in my shoes and that gets me comfortably through at least 9.

3 Likes

It used to be just my hands that got cold, but once I hit my 50’s the feet started in. My buddy turned me onto the toe warmers which are smaller/thinner and have a sticky side so they stay on your toes when you slide your shoes on. They don’t last as long as the Handwarmers, but as you say you just need 9 holes to warm up and maybe less if you’re walking. My office used to be ice cold and I would wear them at work lol.

2 Likes

I’ve been looking at heated vests. Which one do you have? I want to make sure whatever one I buy is comfortable to golf in and not restrictive.

1 Like

Mine is an Eddie Bauer.

1 Like

I tolerate the cold weather days. I’ll stay home if 3 layers won’t cut it. UA type thermals for a base. regular golf clothes for a mid layer & waterproofs for a shell. As said, skip too many cold days & ya miss Mar/Apr & Oct/Nov rounds. Hitting the sim, in unheated garage, a few rounds during the winter is enough to get in a golf fix.

2 Likes

Heated gloves! I have to check that out. As the local course closes when it’s less than 40 degrees, not too hard to stay warm at that temp, even with wind. Except for the hands!

1 Like

On a different track vs warm clothing… I’ve heard a lot of cold weather golfers say they switch to a softer compression ball for the cold … I tried it last winter and imo it definitely feels better!

Was going to raise an eyebrow at that, given the Reynaud’s, but alcohol’s a vasodilator, and in your case may actually improve bloodflow to your extremities. Just keep your core really warm.

I grew up on the Central Coast of California. AKA land of fog and artichokes. I love 40-50 degrees, windy and drizzly. Which are pretty rare conditions in Houston, sigh. Today’s is rather nifty though: mid-70s, dry, crystal clear. Chamber of Commerce weather; take your postcard photos today.

About time. I thought summer would never end. It was warmer at 5AM yesterday (and with about 80% humidity) than it is at 4 PM right now.

2 Likes

It was 61 @ 2:10 here. Drove through a line of t-storms & rain for 1/2 an hour. Temp dropped to 50 :flushed:
Guess we’ll be playing tomorrow’s round in woollys and long johns. :grimacing:

True, I’ve read alcohol and even coffee are not so good for Raynaud’s. I’ve cut back, but not ready to give anything up yet. I actually did give coffee up for several weeks, but saw no difference. It’s funny because I can wear shorts when it’s in the 40’s and be fine, but my hands and feet could still be cold when it’s in the 50’s. Handwarmers and mittens get me through this time of year decently though.

1 Like

I really love playing when it’s hot :smile: , cold is just not for me.

1 Like

When I lived in Rochester NY. We used to play in the first snow with orange balls

2 Likes