Ping dot system

Just how important is it to adhere to the Ping color dot system when purchasing Ping irons?

It is a system designed to match shaft length and lie to a person so they can get as close as the can to a club fitting buying an off the wall set of irons and I don’t mean that in a bad way, if you like Pings, just makes it easier on the pro to fit you. My clubs were manually manipulated to a -1.5* off standard lie and when I bought my Cleveland wedge system I also ended up having those bent also by .5* of what they were out of the box. Does it help? Yes, alot. A club built to your height and your swing encourages a better, more consistent strike on the ball tuned to your swing path. A lie that’s a couple degrees upright with the toe touching the ground or the other way, with the heel touching the ground compared to the club head resting completely on the ground…for a more advanced golfer a better fit club is going to really promote more consistent ball striking. Hope that answers u’re question. It’s the difference between a person that wants to play golf or a person that wants to play 2 or 3 times a year and whack balls around the grounds with a tire iron😊 I don’t mean to be offensive saying that, but folks that are matched to their clubs know exactly what I’m talking about.

Thanks. In a general sense I do understand the importance of having the club at the proper lie. I wanted to know if, in a practical sense, buying a set of clubs with a different dot designation than the one the chart says is appropriate for my height and arm length is a big no-no, and if adjusting the lie angle afterwards is a big deal. So, yes, you answered my question. Thank you!

It’s not a perfect system and the irons can be bent, but it’s a pretty good guideline.

I fit into blue or green (I’m on the border) but play irons that are 3/4 long and standard lie.

We are pretty capable at adjusting ourselves to fit the clubs we use… that’s not to say getting fit isn’t important or helpful, but it’s not the final answer in buying clubs.

I suggest trying different things and seeing how they feel.

Great practical info. Thanks!

1 Like