Par 3/Pitch and Putt?

I’m curious: Do any of you all ever get out to par 3 courses? Do you think they provide a decent venue for alternative, non-range practice? Any practice games you like to play when you’re out there or do you mainly play for score?

3 Likes

There is a not so good par three course in Vegas. I like to go there to work on my scoring but the greens are atrocious, definitely not a place you want to keep score. It is good for 6iron-PW work though.

1 Like

Absolutely yes! I learned golf on these kinds of courses. If you’re by yourself, and nobody is waiting, you definitely want to play a few different balls. Try to give yourself as many wedge scenarios as you can. Don’t worry about score just get as many reps as you can.

4 Likes

My biggest weakness on the golf course is 100 yards and in… my current golf club has a terrible short game area (practice green is OK, chipping green is mottled and small… bunker is worn out).

I think it would be awesome to have a par 3 course to practice on… just focus on hitting different wedge shots into the green and then get up and down around the green.

To make up a game on the fly (assuming most holes are 120ish yards)… I’d give myself different trajectory goals, and use different clubs… and see how many shots I could successfully pull off… everything from seeing how short I can hit a full swing PW (by keeping my weight back and hitting it UP) to if I can get a low spinner to stop quickly.

One of my favorite things to do in golf (and probably one of the things that costs me strokes) is trying to hit different shots, so having a par 3 course would be awesome for me… I had some good times with a college roommate on spring break at a par 3 course in Myrtle Beach… competitive enough to keep us focused, but mostly having fun… (his hole in one still doesn’t count)

2 Likes

Played Top of the Rock a couple years ago. I haven’t played many par 3 courses since I was early early on in my golf life, but you’d be hard-pressed to find a better par 3 course anywhere in the world.

I know a lot of guys who like them for iron and wedge “tune-ups”. I don’t get that much joy out of them, though. Maybe that will change when/if my son gets into the game and he’s learning.

1 Like

I bought a Sunday bag with the full intention of hitting up some par 3’s or short courses with just the low irons, wedges and putter, but I haven’t done it yet. If anyone knows of any great par 3 courses around Los Angeles, I’d love to hear about it. The muni ones I know of look (understandably) pretty past their prime.

Yes! There was a great 18-hole par 3 near me that closed last year. :frowning: It was very challenging. I if you had the right distance but not on line, the ball would always bounce away from the green. It was great for practicing up-and-down! I’m actually quite mad that it closed.

A little further from me, there is a range with a 9-hole “par 3” course… 32-89 yards! It’s good wedge practice, but the best part is that it’s not intimidating for my wife and daughter so it’s getting them into golf!

2 Likes

I live in LA. Weddington in Studio City is good, and the course in Pasadena – Arroyo Seco – isn’t bad either: 18 holes and it has lights. Both are just real pleasant.

I like doing “worst ball”, so you play two shots, and then you play your next two shots from wherever the worst shot was, and on and on, all the way up to the final two putts. Puts a lot more pressure on each shot, and forces you to work on the trickier shots, too. Also helps you figure out what’s repeatable and what’s more random in your game.

3 Likes

Thanks! I’d heard about Arroyo Seco as I’m relatively in the area (just up the 210 in La Crescenta), but didn’t ever hear anything about it. I’ll give it a shot!

Pine valley has a nine hole par three course…

I play my local par 3 course a lot. 3 balls off the tee and then choose the worst ball to keep score with. Always pressure to beat best score and get in some pressure practice on chipping and putting.

1 Like

[Par 3 courses are great. I remember Tiger Woods high school golf coach wrote in his book, that “every hole is a Par 3!” Which meant that par 3s are in fact par 3s, and a Par 4 is just a Par 3 after you hit your tee ball, and same with the Par 5s, where after you hit two shots, it is a Par 3. So his admonition was to get really good at Par 3s, since if you are not shooting par of better on them, then you are not likely to score that low on a regulation course.

Now if you do not have any Par 3 courses around, IF you are able, start by dropping a ball at the 100 yard marker, and see if you can get down in 3 every time!! If you can, then move back to 125 yards. I know you may have to go on a quiet afternoon, or early evening, if you are not a member of a private club… but you will find your weaknesses and get better while having more fun.

For some of you that are familiar with Operation 36, you are familiar with working your way further and further away from the green as your skill increases.

3 Likes

When I’m in Sydney for work I play Terrey Hills par 3 on Tuesday nights with some mates. It’s much more about fun than practice though. The greens aren’t good enough to improve my touch, but it’s good for dialling in pitching distances.
I think there needs to be a bigger push for getting kids to these places. So much more accessible and fun for the little ones to learn how to play.

1 Like

Agreed. I also like it when I see that a full course has designated a “family tee” (and actually maintained it) around 100-150 yards from the hole, giving an option for being out on the big course together.

1 Like

Love Par 3s!! I’m lucky to have two pretty good ones each about a half hour away; these are both “scaled down” 9 hole golf courses - not straight, flat pitch & putts.

They’re great short iron and wedge practice for working on approaches, plus … as happens (to someone I know, not me :rofl::rofl::rofl:) … also great for working on scrambling / short game!

I do keep score so I can compare to myself last time at the same spot – been taking a series of lessons and focusing on my iron swing, and I’m starting to see some real improvement.

1 Like

I started playing/leaning on a par 3. Wish I could get back to them more.

If you get to one that’s more pitch and putt, I recommend hitting two shots off each tee but you have to use a different club for each tee shot.

2 Likes

I love a quick round and Par 3 courses usually give you one.

1 Like

Sadly, there are none left in my area. There used to be a few when I was younger, was a fun way to get some short game practice.

I wish there were more - great way to get some golf in when you have limited tme.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’d love to have a par three course in addition to my regular club… that’s not happening, though… I’ll settle for simulator bays!

If I ever built a course, I’d definitely have a 9 hole pitch and putt course included…

1 Like