Overcoming Injuries

So I’ve been dealing with some injuries over the past two years. I have a 60% tear in my bicep, 40% tear in my labrum. And a 35% tear in my rotator cuff. All in my right shoulder.

Luckily they haven’t kept me from golfing. It’s mostly pain management. My swing speed has actually gotten faster and I played probably the best golf of my life this year.

It hurts, though. Some days a lot. It’s always super super sore after I play or practice.

So I’m trying to figure out what to do. I could have surgery, but if they have to repair the rotator cuff it’s a 6-8 months recovery. If they just fix the bicep and labrum it’s 6 weeks to 3 months. At some point I’m going to have to get them fixed. Going into the winter seems like the smart time, but that 6-8 month recovery essentially takes next year of golf from me. And that…would suck. A lot. Not good for my psyche.

Have you had injuries that set you back? Made you lose time on the course? Perhaps made your game suffer?

Open to any and all advice.

2 Likes

I had to take off six months for a disc fusion operation. I didn’t really have a choice as the herniated disc was ruining my life. The surgery went well and I was pain free after returning to golf.

4 Likes

I haven’t swung a club since August… it definitely sucks.

I feel like you should time it at the beginning of fall (early September) and miss the close of one season and hopefully be good to go when the next season rolls around…

It’s sounds like it’s not if but when, so might as well bite the bullet and get it done.

1 Like

@Bigdadenergy, I’m 51 and over the last 12 years I’ve had a rotator cuff and labrum repaired, bicep reattached to my elbow, C4 cleaned up, 2 Microdiscectomies and last fall tore my glute minimus trying to muscle a 7i out of some rough. Its still on the mend but improving. Playing hurt and through recovery is a mind game. From realistic expectations to when to shut it down. Everyone’s recovery is different and any deficiencies will dictate how long it’ll take postop through rehab. Last last thing any surgeon (worth their weight) will do is cut you open. Exhaust all levels and sources of physical therapies first. Make changes to your swing to minimize flair-ups. If you have any questions, ask away.

3 Likes

Appreciate you. That’s a rough road you’ve been down. Glad you’re still out there doing it.

I’ve been doing physical therapy - targeted strengthening stuff - and it’s helped a TON with the pain and mobility. A year ago I couldn’t reach above my eye line. Then this golf season zero mobility issues. So things have gotten better pain and mobility-wise. I just worry about the tears getting worse without surgery.

1 Like

I’ve been putting off Dr recommended surgeries for left shoulder and left ankle (PTTD) for years now. Both would have a fair amount of down time and I’m not too keen on that. Golf doesn’t usually seem to bother them that much. I find exercises targeted to both problems really helps. I swear by Turmeric and some other supplements as well. I’m usually pretty good, but if I stop the supplements for a couple of weeks things start to hurt. The doc recommended I get the ankle done nearly 15 years ago. I had to give up running, but walking 18 is no problem.

1 Like

@Bigdadenergy check out the champions comeback It is a pretty solid read about recovering from injuries. Actually Dr. Afremow has a great line of books and an app about the mental side of sports. I would definitely take the winter off and try and heal. I put things into perspective with injuries now. Sometimes I’ll have a little ache or pain and feel like my body is trying to tell me something. After a career in the Army and not listening to my body, trying to be tough, I realize now I did a lot of damage to myself. So I weigh things out and say to myself, ok, I am going to miss x amount of days while I wait for this little pain to go away. However, if I ignore it and injure myself, I will miss months. Just my two cents. I love golf and I have a goal to make, I cringe when I am down for a week, but ultimately I realize if I really hurt myself, I could be down for months. I can’t afford that time.

2 Likes

@Bigdadenergy: I’m not sure how old you are, but if you’re a younger man, then I’d tell you to do what your docs or surgeon recommend. If you’re young, you’ve got a lot of golf ahead of you and getting your physical issues fixed will make the game totally enjoyable again + keep you away from making alterations in your swing so that you can manage the pain.

I’ve gone through surgeries on both elbows and both knees and had to shut my game down for a while with each surgery. Getting those surgeries down, however, was beneficial to me in the long run.

Whatever you decide, good luck with your issues and I hope you’re back to 100% real soon!

2 Likes

Thanks. I’m 36, so I’m not a spring chicken, but I’m not old yet either - I don’t think.

What you said is something I have to take into account. The issue is I’ve been told by two surgeons surgery may not help anything. It’s possible it could just never get worse. But it also could. Tough decision to make. I was all lined up for surgery last year but my kiddo needed to have surgery and I didn’t want to be laid up while he was recovering.

2 Likes

I have a problem with tendinitis in my right shoulder rotator cuff. It doesn’t really hurt bad in my swing but it gets really sore. The worst part is picking up my bag after each shot. That motion is terrible when it’s flaring up. Aleve and or Ibuprofen help. I’ve been to the doc, had steroids and it’s gets better but it’s from overuse in general. I’m 37 so I know what you mean about being in between the younger and older guys.

I also have posted on here about plantar fasciitis. It’s mostly better at this point. Kind of feel like I am falling apart this year lol.

1 Like

I think I’ve posted this elsewhere, but in January of this year I fell on the stairs at work. Severely sprained right ankle, broke my left ankle.
Bye-bye prepaid indoor golf league ( no refund!).

Didn’t even try to play until late May. Took it really easy through June, then ramped up in August. My left knee has some collateral damage from the fall, but I did ALL the physical therapy, plus additional PT at home.
I’m back to about 90 percent, but if there’s a storm coming, everything aches.

2 Likes

I’ve had a few major injuries pre-golf but that took me out of my primary sports at the time.

More recently, I had a total hip replacement that I had done in the Fall and was able to - CAREFULLY! - play by late Spring.

I had the operation done when it got to the point where not just golfing, but all activities, were getting restricted because I was uncomfortable and couldn’t move so well … so wasn’t going out and doing as many things…

Prior to the operation I tried PRP therapy and went to PT - those kept me going for a while, but eventually - and you have to decide when the time is right for you! - eventually the joint degrades enough it won’t really be optional…

2 Likes

Oh yeah… As you get older those little R&R periods get more frequent, and sometimes longer!

But it really can be “the best medicine”.

2 Likes

Ohh boy… Then I’d suggest - especially at your still young enough age - to research PRP and stem cell therapies (there are different types available, and it’s becoming more popular treatment for sports injuries).

1 Like

I’ll look into it and ask around. Thanks!!

1 Like

Bigdadenergy, I feel for you. And agree, sometimes surgery not only doesn’t help, but actually makes things worse. To date, I’ve had 5 surgeries on my right foot/ankle and it’s worse than ever. Last doc wants to do fusion, 4mos recovery 6mos rehab. Wife has health issues so that ain’t happening. 3 Percocet to get thru round, not ideal, but for me better than alternative.
Best of luck!

2 Likes

Absolutely, I always say better two days and me being a baby, than two months of doctor’s orders.

1 Like

Get the surgery, NOW rather than later. I had four rotator cuff surgeries from 95-07. The last one was to also verify there was enough bone left for a replacement. Ten procrastinating years later, and not playing golf for ten years, I got a reverse, shoulder replacement by a doc at UVA who does four a week. (Best to this done by a very experienced doctor.). Started therapy on December 1, 2018 and it was the first time in 100+ therapy visits over 25+ years that I did not hear the crunch of bone-on-bone. Started at the driving range in May 2019, with no pain, just a bad swing. Started playing 2-3 times a week in January and now average 1,000 balls a month the range. Go for it or wait and regret it. Note where the ball and soccer are now.

4 Likes

That looks crazy, but looks like it could move really fast!

Got a feeling I could end up with something like this. LOL. Looks like a bionic arm. Awesome