Online Fitting and experiments

Has anyone used an online fitting system, Truefitclubs, the MGS one etc., and if so with what success.

Here is why. I have been fit with “regular” clubs and a light shaft recently. Makes sense–I’m 64 and returning to the game–though I am pretty fit for my age (vanity weightlifting stats on request).

Driver SS–94. 7 iron–82-83.

I did an on line fit for woods, and, I assume based on my transition speed and distance it fit me in an xtra stiff, heavy shaft (80gs) . I thought, no way. But–that’s what my son-in law plays. So, I borrowed his clubs. I expected abject failure. Instead, I hit it further, my average swing speed went up, and did not not lose it nearly as much to the left–when it went bad (which is my bad shot). I never hit hit a weak pop up or a slice.

This leads me to think that the heavier weight allows me to feel the shaft better, and the stiffer shaft goes less left. Any experience with on line fitting–or other explanations–welcome. I have been working a great deal on my swing, so perhaps that’s part of it.

2 Likes

For the $9 or so I don’t think you can lose at least trying MGS. Shaft stiffness has more to do with how you deliver the club than CHS. Fitting into a heavy stiff shaft regardless of CHS may help you deliver it better.

1 Like

FWIW I thought the $7 or so I paid for the MGS online fitting was about $7 too much. I am an MGS fan for the most part, but the online fitting was a complete waste for me. I have had multiple pro fittings though so I know what works for me and was just curious.

2 Likes

I’ve not tried any online fittings, but have been through several in-person fittings.

I’d suggest … as with all things golf … it depends on what you’re ultimately looking for…

For example - do you like to experiment with different clubs? I do, and it can be fun, but … can also turn out to be expensive and not the best use of your time.

Or is your goal to improve your golf swing? Mine is, and I’m finding that a series of lessons I’ve been taking are yielding waaaay more progress (again: for me, everyone’s different, ymmv).

I’d also suggest that if you’re looking for a bag of clubs that are “right” for you, then a specialty club fitter - eg. True Spec, Club Champion - is the best way to go (-not- a big box store or other golf retailer).

1 Like

Oh, PS:
I believe in the (near? distant?) future online fittings will evolve to become more alike to in-person fittings, but we’re not there yet.

1 Like

Hey cksurfdude–thanks for the advice, and I am in vehement agreement! I do get lessons and am in an 8 week program of improvement.

I look at equipment changes as only for low hanging fruit. For instance–for me, the Epic Speed gave me 15 plus yards over my Ping G410 plus for the same swing speed–and no loss of accuracy. No brainer.
I tried an online fit thing for fun–and it gave me extra stiff in a driver, stiff in irons and some different shaft options. Recently, I have been “regular” at my in person fittings and recommendations. I thought it was way off, but my son plays xtra stiff, so I borrowed some of his clubs. I had no issues hitting them, and in fact, hit them longer with less dispersion (I’m a hooker). So–I wondered what others thought. Thus the post. But I agree–working on fitness and your swing is far more important. Though I do love equipment!

1 Like