One of these clubs seems off

So I was fit into a set of irons about a year and a half ago and have found the 8 iron and 7 iron are going virtually the same distance (150 yard on the 8, 152 on the 7) I have a nice progression with every other club in the bag and was wondering if anyone had a place to start looking to remedy this inconsistency.

Few other note the fitting was with the 7 iron which I was able to carry ~162 on the launch monitors that day, the set is Cobra F8’s (the 7 is the first hollow body iron in the progression from cavity back)

2 Likes

Have you had the loft checked? I was having a similar issue with my 8 and 9… my 8 iron was 2 degrees off. They bent it and it’s great now.

Golf galaxy can check this for $10

3 Likes

Also check club lengths to make sure they’re progressing through the bag and they didn’t cut the 7/8 the wrong length.

I agree with @Craigers. Something is off with your specs.

Thank you for the advice, I’ll get the specs checked out on the 7 iron before arccos tells me that my 150 to 175 yard approach shots are costing me an excessive number of shots yet again

3 Likes

Well took a while to finally get the club checked out with winter and a rainy spring but I was able to the 7 iron checked out and it was exactly at the specs it was set at from my fitting. This lead me to some trials on the range, and I found moving the ball position forward significantly brought the club to life, also boosted the 5 and 6 irons. Which has lead me to wonder if a shallower aoa combined with the hollow body irons vs conventional cavity backs for steeper aoa’s is something to look at fitting wise across other manufacturers?

2 Likes

I sometimes find I hit my longer clubs (anything longer than a 6i) better when I feel like I am swinging flatter. Not sure if this is just a feel or it’s real. When I’m not swinging as well my 5i, 4i or 4h all go about the same distance as my 6i. Sort of makes a case for exploring single length irons. But then I start swinging better and I put these experiments aside.

I have seen iron sets with less than 1/2" spacing as well. Usually the PW is longer than standard, but the 5i may be shorter. Weight and lies need to be adjusted more though.

1 Like