Olympic Gold Question

I 100% AGREE with this thought from Max Homa. Xander Schauffele won a hard fought , incredible tourney for the Gold Medal. His caddie, Austin Kaiser should also receive one! Without a doubt, in my mind. What say you?

1 Like

The coxswain in rowing get one and the horses rider gets one (the horse should get one, but that’s a different story)… I think if you are in the field of competition, you deserve a medal if your “team” wins…

1 Like

I agree that the caddies should also get one. They were part of the competition!

I don’t think caddies should get one since coaches don’t. I’ve seen a lot of people use the coxswain as a justification, but that person actually steers the boat and directs the rowers. To me, they are much more of a participant with a direct impact on the outcome of the event than a caddy. And if we did start giving caddies medals, wouldn’t they then have to be from the same country as the golfer?

I’d also like to see how many golfers would bring their regular caddies with them if there were medals involved vs. the number that would bring a friend or family member instead. I think there might be some surprising insights into how much golfers actually value their caddy.

TBH, I think the course should be providing local caddies for Olympic events so nobody has to bring their own caddy and nobody has to feel bad about their caddy getting nothing.

2 Likes

Since it’s 2021 there has to be a bunch of logistical issues, but I like your sentiments on it.

Go back 100 years and a caddies role is different. The game was different. Ah well.

The horse though…they need a medal. They do some serious training

1 Like

It’s an inelegant comparison, but to me, the horse is the player… they do all the work and the caddy is like the rider… they remind the player where to go and what to do…

I do think the caddy being from a different country is an issue… I think it’s a weird issue and I don’t have an easy answer… I think the caddies deserve a medal, but I understand there are some issues surrounding it… I do think it would be interesting to see who people brought if the caddie got a golf medal… probably create some friction if they brought a family member! (Except DJ, of course)