Non-Cart Bags for Riders

Alright, I need help. I ride a cart 95% of the time, but I hate cart bags. I’m in the market for a new bag. My Titleist bag I got 3 years ago is falling apart. I don’t know if I got a lemon, but that thing has been trash. Very disappointed as I’d been using my college Hoofer since Fall of 2003. I loved that bag.

So that’s where my search started. Looking at the different Hoofer options. I love the standard Hoofer, but wondering if it’s worth the extra $100 over the Hoofer Lite. Anyone have experience with both or one?

Or if you have another bag you’d suggest I’m all ears.

1 Like

Is your 2003 Hoofer dead and gone? If not, just go back to that…

I’d LOVE to replace my 1999 Hoofer with something that will last me another 20 years, but I just don’t think it’s going to happen… I asked the PING rep if the new hoofer would outlast my current bag and he said no.

Honestly, I’m considering buying a backup on eBay right now, just to have a spare.

I wish I had a better suggestion… I look at all the new bags when I’m in a golf shop and just think anything I get will quickly get destroyed… You’d think SOMEONE would make something that could stand up to a beating like the original Hoofer, but I haven’t found it.

Sadly, the old Hoofer is gone. I gave it to a buddy with a set of clubs for his son who was getting into the game.

I feel the same way about all the new bags and feel so old when I think, “they just don’t make them like they used to.”

You’d think some who rides a cart isn’t hard enough on their bag for it to fall apart as quickly as my Titleist bag did. My hope is I could get a Hoofer and since I’m mainly riding it COULD last me ten years.

2 Likes

I’m with you on all of it… I feel old and crochety, but on the other hand, I’ve had my Ping bag for 21 years and it’s still in great shape… The new bags are obviously made with lighter materials, but it would be awesome if every 5 years they just released an original HOOFER bag… even at like $500 it would be worth the money.

1 Like

If you haven’t seen the bags at https://flagbaggolfco.com/ they are worth a look. I’m guessing they are a bit pricey but may be worth it.

1 Like

I’ve seen them. I saw one guy on Twitter say his was $1100 and I’m pretty sure there’s no way they hold up. They seem like a “Hey look what I can afford” thing.

2 Likes

I want to start a luxury brand… high end! VIP. Exclusive.

I’m currently on a fancy bag rabbit hole, btw… the flag bag site mentions Macdonald leather goods… $1000+ golf bags, which isn’t my price range.

Shapland looks nice but it is out of stock. Now looking at vessel bags.

Really all depends on what you tend to carry in your bag. Standard Hoofer has 11 pockets with 22 liters of storage, Lite is 7 pockets with 19 liters. Both are 9.5" diameter at the top, so not small by any means, but 14 clubs are tight, especially if you have oversized grips on anything.

1 Like

Buy one of these and tell me how it is.

Now I really want the players 3 in iridium…

I have the stitch sl2

Fickle creature but i love her… hardly carry anything in my bag though. No space for apparel

I would probably go ping hoofer based on what you are saying. My next bag will probably be a ping hoofer lite

Go halvsies on it with me?

1 Like

I don’t store a ton, but I do carry 14 clubs and rain gear just in case. Thinking I’ll just pull the trigger on the Hoofer and hope it lasts me 7-10 years.

spend $120 on one of these, I don’t think you’ll be sorry

1 Like

Ha, that’d be a fun charge to explain to the wife.

I think the hoofer makes sense as a known quantity/ quality. Hopefully you get a decade out of to.

I’m still really interested in the vessel… it’s the first bag I’ve seen that I’ve actually contemplated replacing my bag with… I don’t know why it tickles my fancy.

Anyone use the Ping Hoofer Craze lite? I have a cobra and the legs are screwed, so looking for a new bag.

I was really fond of my Nike 14 way cart bag. Tons of pockets, pretty durable. Only a few minor scuffs and wear around where the wedges hit the edge, but nothing terrible. Only a single strap, no legs, and a little heavy, so I sold it for a 2-strap carry bag.

Update: I ordered a Hoofer. I don’t regret it.

3 Likes

I have 3 bags from Big Max Golf: the Dri Lite Silencio, which I use on my push cart, and a Dri Lite Hybrid and Dri Lite 7, which I use for short after-work-rounds or for winter golf, when trolleys are not allowed.

They are priced very nicely, and I like the quality. Their customer service is also top notch: The first DL7 I had would creak very badly when on my back, and they sent me a replacement within 2 days, without even asking to send the faulty one back to them.

1 Like