New Driver Shaft

Okay need some help from the gear heads on here. My Aldila Synergy 50 shaft in my Rogue Subzero driver broke today. Since the driver is 3+ years old I’m guessing Callaway isn’t going to warranty it.

So what should I do? I can buy the same driver on 2nd swing to get the shaft for $280, but I’m thinking maybe I should get a brand new shaft. To get the weight right, I need a shaft around 60 grams and a torque of 5.2ish to get a similar shaft to what I have.

Suggestions?

1 Like

Just started down the rabbit hole of that particular shaft… seems like it was pretty awesome 2 years ago… I’m still working on a shaft similar to it…

Seems like you shouldn’t have broken the shaft… I realize that’s neither helpful nor actionable.

I’m not sure if the Tour Blue is similar, but maybe check that out? I tend to get along with Aldila Shafts, and have switched between them with decent success (I love the Silver, have the White and the RipX as well).

Interestingly, Mistubishi now owns Aldila, so it might be worth checking them out… depending on what profile you are looking for, they might have a solution. The Raw Blue came to mind first.

I enjoy trying new shafts and messing around… It also might be worth reaching out to Callaway and seeing what replacement options they might have… Suggestions or possibly a willingness to warranty it?

I do plan to take it over to the golf shop where I bought it on Monday and have them inquire about a warranty with Callaway. I will check out Mitsubishi.

Since I posted this I found out a friend of mine has an Accra FX250 M4 with a Callaway Adapter, so I’m going to try that.

1 Like

The Raw Blue definitely has similar specs. Something I should check out for sure.

1 Like

I don’t know the Accra shafts… I used to be cool back in 2012 and had a working knowledge of most of the shaft companies…

Now I barely scrape by with basic knowledge… I might go on a shaft hunt this season if I’m swinging well.

1 Like

I checked the Callaway Pre-Owned site and they had my shaft in my flex so I ordered it. Still might try my friends Accra though.

1 Like

Nothing wrong with sticking with what works!

I might do some shaft shopping now…

1 Like

I picked up the HZRDUS Smoke 60 (44.5") and the Accra FX 2.0 250 (45.5") from my friend this morning to try. I’m 5 mph faster with the Accra than the HZRDUS as measured on the PRGR. The HZRDUS just doesn’t feel right.

1 Like

I have never gotten along with hazardous shafts…

Like ever.

No idea.

1 Like

Honestly me either. This one, being shorter is too light and I can’t feel the clubhead at all.

1 Like

I’m really curious about the ventus and the new AV raw shafts… I might look at Accra as well…

1 Like

I’ve been thinking about this too much now… It’s interesting because you also can’t really test different lengths of driver shafts with most carts (or I’ve never seen variable driver lengths in a fitting cart)…

I’m now thinking I want to bump my “regular” driver up to 46 inches, which would require a new shaft… I’d REALLY like a Ventus Blue, but don’t want to spend the money, especially until I have one in my hands to try.

Though, I guess I could buy one, try it and resell if it’s not a good fit.

1 Like

Or you could have a backup shaft available in case yours breaks. I’m kinda thinking I want to have 2 on-hand anyway to avoid this in the future.

1 Like

Ha… I don’t really want to spend $350 on a new shaft, much less $700!

Right now, I need to get my swing grooved to where I want it, then I’ll start working on “the perfect shaft”… hopefully Ventus Blue pricing will come down!

1 Like

Here’s round 1 of testing. Based on this will put the Accra in and try it. If I can find the middle of the face it should be about 8 yards longer.

1 Like

Accra looks good! Hopefully it behaves on the course.

1 Like

Yeah, I think it has more upside if I can find the middle more often.

1 Like

I need to get comfortable swinging driver in my simulator… I hit the net on my follow through and I’m still not swinging 100%…

Just need to put some reps in!

1 Like

Jake, what did you end up gaming?

@Bigdadenergy is apparently having nightmares about his driver or dreams about a new driver… I couldn’t find which thread we were talking drivers in, though…

BDE: what drivers are you looking at? Why is your current driver launching so low? Any thoughts on trying a new shaft?

1 Like

My driver is 10/40/50 this year.

10% of the time, like Saturday, I’m hitting unconscious perfect bombs. Without exaggerating, 320 avg.

40% of the time it’s serviceable. Long enough and close enough to in play that it doesn’t hurt me, but not well struck.

50% of the time, like yesterday, I have the kinds of misses people who have never touched a golf club have. My biggest miss is hitting the ball on the forehead and it going nowhere and two way miss.

Now, obviously I can’t 100% blame the arrow. The archer is at fault for a lot of this - and I’m going in for help. But, when I was fit I was a little more bent over and slightly over the top. I was consistently making heel strikes, so my driver was fit to .25” shorter than stock and that’s about how much I’m off this year. I’m hitting it in the center of the face, but super super low on the face and if I miss center, I’m super toey.

My driver is also as low spin/low launching as you can get. It’s set up at 7.5° and my shaft is - aggressive. Late last year I started working on being a bit more upright and flatter through the ball. I love the changes I’m making and I’m hitting my irons and fairway woods REALLY good. So I think I just worked my way out of what I was fit into. It happens.

I spent a lot on my driver and I’m sure I can still sell it for a good amount, so that dulls the pain of the cost of a new one a bit, but still hard to swallow.

I hit the TSi 3 not long ago and that thing is a rocket, so that’s certainly on the list, but I like to hit everything to make sure I’m not missing anything because of any kind of brand bias.

We’ll see. I sure hit it well in my dream last night.

2 Likes