MyGolfSpy is a must for equipment decisions

I have found MyGolfSpy to be the best unbiased source for equipment reviews.

Their ball report that exposed the Callaway Chrome Soft quality issues was particularly eye opening.

I’m a huge fan of their site and reviews and my Honma Irons, which I love, were purchased as a result of their most wanted iron review.

Highly recommend MGS and no I am not affiliated with them in anyway

5 Likes

NOT to take anything away from Practical Golf, their website, this forum … just saying I’m also an MGS forum member, reader and contributor.

But I really enjoy and learn from Jon’s articles, and am looking forward to seeing how this forum evolves!

2 Likes

I have a lot of respect for the work they do over there. Obviously their focus is different than mine, so I’m glad to see golfers have a choice of independent resources to choose from!

6 Likes

I read mgs and was very active on the GolfWRX forums… much more equipment focused…

I’ve owned 3 sets of irons, 3 drivers and 2 putters over the past 15 years… equipment is neat and fun but not what interests me about golf.

I certainly keep track of trends and have some clubs I’ll buy if I see them at the right price, but I like to focus on improving.

I bought my Adams cmb s as heads only for $50 last winter… borrowed shafts from my club pro and have been gaming them since.

1 Like

Like @cksurfdude, I’ve been active on the MGS Forums, although I don’t spend much time with their other content. I’ve been lucky enough to have been selected to do a few reviews for the MGS forum, which is a real treat. But I’m also a bit like @Craigers, I’m not really a gearhead, I tend to make selections and stick with them for a good while. Heck, my putter is 15 years old! @jon has it right, there’s a place for lots of different kinds of expertise and conversation.

3 Likes

I’m hoping to have similar offers where I can get forum members to test products out and give us their thoughts. A lot will be possible here with strength in numbers!

7 Likes

I’m really liking the focus on strategy and actually improving at golf here… other forums are fine, but it feels like the playing golf part gets lost in the weeds.

2 Likes

That’s exactly why I started the site in the first place. I felt there was a void in game improvement content. I see the same void in golf communities so hopefully this place will become that (while you discuss other topics that are fun/important)

5 Likes

This week I’ve had two tabs open, MGS forums and here. Both keep me from looking up the news too much and that’s good for my sanity.

2 Likes

I totally agree, however, I do think the best way to make equipment decisions is to get fit by a good fitter and have zero brand allegiance. Let the numbers do the selling.

What MGS does for the casual player, though, is invaluable.

1 Like

Correct, I think they fill a big void in equipment evaluation but there are limitations to what they can do. Getting custom fit is always your best option. Not everyone has access to those resources, but that’s slowly changing.

1 Like

I found my Tommy Armour putter based upon the MGS review.

3 Likes

I think that is where MGS shines… finding more niche products and bringing them to the light of day… I think I found Sub70 through them… it’s also nice to have data backing up my purchase of Snell balls (though I like them regardless).

It’s definitely a useful place to find things you should possibly try and nice to see that the big OEMs don’t have a stranglehold on building the best stuff…

That said, for something like a driver, I will check out the online reviews and then try to hit everything.

3 Likes

^ good point!

Through MGS I’ve found, amongst many many other great things, lots of great golf stuff in addition to just clubs; for example…

• Inesis Tour and new MaxFli CG balls
  • ExPutt indoor putting simulator
  • TheraBand wrist roller
  • various useful training aids
  • quality (IMHO) reviews on spikeless shoes
  • helpful ideas on what features to look for in a push cart
  • etc etc etc

Yes - I’m a forum member there, but … before here (Thx Jon) it was only there. (fwiw)

4 Likes

In the last year or so I was selected to do 2 reviews for MGS. One for the Snell MTB-X ball and one for a Nippon GOST hybrid shaft. Lots of fun trying new (free) gear.

4 Likes

Yeah they found a niche championing 2nd tier OEM and DTC brands along with best value for the buck. Not to start a debate here but if you’ve followed them over the past 7 or so years (once self labeled as the TMZ of golf) you take their “content” with a grain of salt. Biases exist.

4 Likes

I agree with you here. We are probably in the minority but I have some hesitations about some of their findings, specifically what they report on some of the smaller and DTC brands vs the OEMs

Completely agree with the “grain of salt” comment. I do like to read their site, but just like any other golf site, what worked in a test doesn’t mean it will work well at all for me.
I think Jon’s content always reminds us of that, and he always states that it is his opinion, but you should test for yourself and get what fits you best.

3 Likes

Did you all see their players irons reviews for 2020? Some big DTC winners with Titelist coming in last.

I don’t know what to make of agendas and biases and whatnot. I think the main takeaway is that there is a lot of good equipment out there with marginal differences in performance between the most recognized golf companies and some new upstarts. Hey fit, find something you like to look at it, and spend time getting comfortable with it, rather than searching for a holy grail in an iron!

I was reading through that yesterday and I came out frustrated because I wish there was a better way to include the DTC clubs into immersive fittings. Apparently they perform, so I’d love to hit them, but the fitting process is far from efficient or perfect for DTC clubs. Just wish there was a better way to see if they work for MY game.

2 Likes