My Jon-Enhanced Round

Shot 82 yesterday. My best ever. Shout-out to Practical Golf.

1. Played smarter tee shots on #2 and #14.

My driver misses go right. So instead of aiming center fairway and risking big trouble on right, I aimed left rough.

#2 I got left rough when I often go OB. 1 stroke saved.

#14 I ended up center where I often end up blocked by trees. Another stroke.

1. "Clubbed Up” on #2, 11, and 17 approach shots.

#2 and #11 hit center green.

#17 I hesitated: water protects front of green but creek protects back of green. Got in pin high in rough.

1. Faced “The Truth

For guys with just a couple hours a week to practice, Jon writes:

Do not worry about your full swing that much. With the amount of time you have, you are not going to make dramatic strides in ball-striking ability. Work on your tempo

That was freeing. Yesterday at the course, I focused on tempo, not mechanics. Felt like it saved me 3 chunks/popups.

1. PG-recommended “Perfect Putter” + AimPoint golf video.

Got those 6 weeks ago. Big help in reducing my 3-putts.

a. I use PP for 5 minutes to warm up before a round. Last 5 putts are much better than first 5.

b. AimPoint nudged me from 2 out of 10 in green-reading to a 5 out of 10.

On putts with large break, “my feet” now get the general story correct.

I still can’t figure out the close ones. Right edge? Cup outside? Bang it straight?

This is my first season of trying to improve at golf.

It’s been a focus since local driving ranges re-opened (from Covid closure) in July.

Goal? 18 to 20 handicap down to a 10.

2 lessons a month with “Dan" (great!), driving range 2x/week, playing 18 holes 1x/week.

More from The Truth:

If this is the type of time you can commit, I would not expect huge jumps in scoring ability. If you are starting the year at a 20 handicap, maybe your goal is to finish at a 17 or 18. That might not sound like a lot, and it’s possible you can exceed that goal. However, if you go in thinking that you will get all the way down to a 10, you will likely stunt your progress because your expectations are way out of line.

Oops! Jon called it.

Progress in golf occurs in small steps. You make small breakthroughs, and then maybe you have a setback or two. But if you can keep practicing and playing a decent amount you will see small incremental progress that will build over time .

With the Boston golf season fading, I guess it’s time to put my winter plan in place……

Thanks Jon!

18 Likes

Great score! Glad you had a wonderful round and it’s amazing to think how much @jon has helped all of us. And now with the creation of this forum, a bunch of others that enjoy his work are helping each other. We’re all going to be on the tour in no time. Hahahaha

1 Like

Wow! Round of applause here!

Great to see some of the topics discussed on the site and the forum are helping you out. I’m just trying to point you in the right direction, but the drop in score is because of what you did on the course :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That’s an awesome round. And it’s awesome that you share the credit for it with @jon and Practical Golf.

3 Likes

Wow! That’s great to hear. Congratulations!!!

1 Like

That’s awesome bud. Keep at it

1 Like

That’s awesome! Great score keep it up! I’m just over the border in NH so I hear you about golf season closing. Maybe we can get a round next year! Where do you play?

1 Like

Nice shooting!!! :clap:

And kudos for absorbing … and applying … lessons learned in here out on the course!! :+1:

1 Like

Congratulations to you on this accomplishment. I hope your game continues to arc in that direction.

1 Like