Mindfulness Exercise: Active Awareness of the Swing

To add on to my Mindfulness and Golf thread, I thought I would add another exercise you can try out, either at home or out on the course.
Grab a club and just start freely swinging it back and forth. Nothing to think about in terms of positions or the clubface, just let it swing. Close your eyes, take a breath, and then try to define where you feel the movement of the swing. Speak it to yourself “I feel the weight shifting from my right foot to my left.”, “My hips are moving back and through.”, and etc. There is no right or wrong feeling, the entire purpose is to actively become aware of our body movement and the swing.
If you have the time, move through the set or different shot types and repeat the exercise, actively identifying the differences. Thoughts may pop up into your head about how you should swing or something you need to change, but do your best to just acknowledge these thoughts, then let them pass, keeping the focus on the body’s movement.
You might get some useful info about swing sequence out of this exercise, but at the very least it should be a calming experience, just naturally letting the body move and being mindful of what it feels like. Let me know what you think!

5 Likes

Love this.

If I could shut my hyperactive brain up for two minutes when I’m out playing, I’d be playing better for sure.

Played my best round ever the evening we were trying to beat a thunderstorm . There was no time to mess around; roared up in our carts, jumped out, grabbed a club, walked up and hit the ball.
Hit them pure every shot, including my 3 wood, which almost never happens ( I call it my croquet club).

5 Likes

Tried this at home while chipping into the net in the garage (a good time to try out and work on all sorts of new and different things!) … and had a small bit of a golfing epiphany…

First, some background - I used to ski every winter from when I was young until late 20s; then used to windsurf and surf a lot over the next 30 years; then golf became the obsession.

But while trying Cory’s exercise, I remembered … or: I felt … something that I guess I’d lost… skiing you’re (obviously) moving over the slope; windsurfing and surfing you’re moving over the water … and in all those things you’re feeling the surface moving beneath you through your feet

In golf while working working working over the past several years to build a solid and steady “base” for my golf swing, I wasn’t really “feeling” the ground under my feet.

Now, no - it’s not the same as moving across the surface like skiing or surfing, but - between the weight shifts and body rotations there is some movement in the feet on the ground and now I’ve become more aware of that … and started striking the ball more solidly, more consistently :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Just saw this and I agree. My pro suggested something like this not long ago, but I think you’ve painted a better picture for me here. I was asking him about warming up before a round because I usually can’t/don’t hit balls and he suggested something like this. I was usually just grabbing 2 clubs or a weighted club and swinging to get loose, but that really just loosened my muscles without providing any feel. Something like this has worked better for me and I wish I had known sooner. It seems to help me find a better tempo and feel before that 1st tee shot.

2 Likes

“The Inner Game of Golf” book is almost identical to this in the first approach. They use a drill where when you get to the end of the backswing you say “back” then when you impact the ball you say “hit”. All you focus on is the back and hit…totally focused on feel, not results.
It’s how I finally got the “feels” for a more inside out swing with my driver after 20-30 years of golfing. Total feel…no technical thoughts, no trying, no focus on results.

3 Likes

Wow. Just had a virtual lesson this afternoon where I ended up with a very similar swing cue of Top/Rev/Rory. All feels, no thoughts. Was flushing those shots into my net! Can’t wait to try it out next week when the course reopens.

3 Likes

I work on something similar when I’m trying to learn tempo and work it into my swing…
“Baaack … and (ie. transition) … Thru!”

2 Likes