MGS: testing tees

My golf spy tested tees… the thrilling conclusion? Regular tees are better. I was actually vaguely surprised but I guess is makes sense as we don’t see many novelty tees on tour.

I like the martini but not at the cost of a yard… not having to worry about the tee and grabbing a handful from the bowl at my club is going to be my continued method…

Love the data driven testing!

5 Likes

Really the only reason not to use a wooden tee is if it’s too difficult due to age or a physical condition or if you’re playing on near frozen ground that you can’t get a tee into, so you have to use a rubber one.

1 Like

I like the fixed height tees because it means I’m consistently teeing the ball up in the same place… I’m not willing to spend the money if they negatively impact distance (even if it’s marginal)…

I can also probably just home brew a fixed height solution for the tees I get for free… or just not worry about it!

I was not at all shocked. Gimmick tees are categorized as gimmick tees for a reason.

Talked to our new club pro today, and he’s only bringing in 2 3/4 inch tees to the club… this will up my golf budget, as I will need to buy my own tees! I’m working on a positive angle of attack, so a higher tee is necessary… I’m thinking about just going MarTEEni as they work just find, seem to hold up and are easy to find… if anyone has a favorite tee, let me know… I guess I could order a custom set of wood ones, I know there is a company that will make you 200, but can’t remember who it is… not sure how obnoxious I’d go (neon pink stripes?)

I play with tees I find on the course. The tee I use for my driver is a long plastic one with a rubber top. I have removed the rubber as the rubber used to make my tee fly away to places where it was hard to find. Without the rubber top the tee only travels a short distance. For iron shots I just use any old broken wooden tee lying around on the tee. When I find tees that I don’t use, I pick them up and give them out to my next playing partner that uses that kind of tee.

1 Like

Heck with performance; I like only having two tees in my pocket, which don’t perforate any femoral arteries. One is stepped for driver, other is 2” for everything else.
Full disclosure: I do have spares in golf bag as they really are “VIRTUALLY UNBREAKABLE”. I’ve broken several. :yawning_face:

1 Like

I’m with you. Also nice to tee the ball a consistent height.