MGS Ball Test 2021

Impressive! How much do you think it matters to your overall score?
If i knew it would reduce my handicap by 2, I would totally spend $4 per ball.

3 Likes

I canā€™t really put an exact value on what playing the right ball can do, but thereā€™s a ton of value in trusting your ball to do what you expect it to do. If you expect a ball to hop and stop from 120 and in and it delivers that on a good strike, then thatā€™s worth the cost to me.

3 Likes

You going to start your kid off with prov1 or prov1x?
:rofl:

1 Like

Heā€™s already hitting the less than perfect ProV1s into the net. Gonna be spoiled with that feel. Iā€™m screwed.

1 Like

It could be worse. He could be my son. U r scratch. Your kid will be scratch. My kid will never be better than 15.

When i ask him if he wants to play, his answer is always ā€œwhy would i EVER do anything that makes you so frustrated?ā€

:thinking:

1 Like

I thought the whole point of this forum is that this is a completely made up expectation. :rofl:
#middle of the green

Man I get the frustration aspect of golf. Iā€™m pretty fiery at times, but do you think that 15 could be a 9 or 10 if you let go of a bad swing? It was shocking what letting one bad swing only be one bad swing did for my golf game. Thatā€™s worth more to your hdcp than any $4 ball.

2 Likes

Played my first round with the Srixon Z-Starā€¦ they seem to fit my swing profile on the test, and I needed some balls (I have Snellā€™s on order, they arenā€™t here yet).

Itā€™s a fine ball. I wasnā€™t swinging my best and it seemed to want to stay in bounds, so thatā€™s a huge plus for meā€¦ I caught one drive and felt like it didnā€™t go as far as I expected, but it was into the wind and it wasnā€™t significantly shorter than where I put good drives (and it was straighter)ā€¦

Playing with them again on Friday (and maybe tomorrow), so we will see how it goes.

4 Likes

3 Likes

That 2 hdcp needs to follow Lou Stagner on Twitter and get some proximity to the hole perspective.

4 Likes

Iā€™m a nice guy, generically, but if I were playing a match against that guyā€¦ Iā€™d ā€œGood Tempoā€ him into a rage and watch his vanity 2 cap implode to shoot a 90 and close him out on the 14th hole.

6 Likes

I take the other approach. I offer them lots of tips. Yes yes you shot birdie and i got a triple but did you know you didnt shift your weight forward on that swing? I can totally fix you in five minutes after this round.

Guarantees I live rent free in his head the rest of the round. :rofl:

My next trick will be to take my groove it and start cleaning their clubs for them.

Dont mess with high handicaps. You guys dont want any of this heat.

3 Likes

I get plenty of ā€œnice shotā€ comments from higher handicap playing partners on shots I didnā€™t find to be particularly nice. My response is ā€œthanksā€ and I canā€™t understand the mindset of anyone who would think any deeper than that on it.

8 Likes

It seems to me that selecting our golf ball can use the se method that we use to select targets on the course. What shot/ball gives us the most predictable pattern?

With so many variables (temp, humidity, wind, dry/wet/dew, fw height, rough height, green foundation, green slope, ground strike, face strike, trajectory, amount of curve), it seems it would be hard to select a ball without observing A LOT of golf shots with a specific ball before really identifying a pattern. Especially considering our games are able to change significantly from day to day.

2 Likes

Screw the ball, I want the PXG irons as the Mid speed 8 iron goes a club farther than mine!

5 Likes

haha, the 87 mph 8 iron was hitting balls 200 yardsā€¦ I swing in the 90s with an 8 iron and hit it 170.

3 Likes

Moving to Scottsdale would probably help as well.

4 Likes

True. Even my 9 iron rolls out there.

2 Likes

They only tested urethane cover balls in this test. That said, I like putting them into three categories. Iā€™m in the 3rd category, but will continue to play the Maxfli Tours as they seem to perform for me. (Hcap 14).

4 Likes

I very much appreciate the time and energy it took to create this test - but not to decide what ball to buy. Rather, itā€™s for how the use the different models of golf balls I find. I find enough balls that I havenā€™t purchased a ball in years. I have a couple of other ā€˜rulesā€™. If itā€™s a Callaway I save it for my buddy who likes those. If itā€™s Yellow itā€™s for a pal who like those - he has macular degeneration. I favor Pro V1s and V1x but mostly because those are what I find all the time. Iā€™ll play TaylorMade, Snell or Bridgestone. I can feel the difference some but I donā€™t mind that. If I find 2 piece balls, they go to the range where theyā€™re happy to have free balls. If theyā€™re scuffed or older top quality balls they go to the shag bags. If theyā€™re Kirkland, they go to the short game section of my shag collection - spinny is good there. I have hundreds of shag balls - one bin for my net based set up, one five gallon bucket for my practice at the local baseball field where I chip to the infield (the bucket has an old planter inside that I can lift out as a strainer so I can easily wash off the infield dirt) and one Bag Shag that I use for chipping at my course. Theyā€™re all found. Happy that people obsess about the balls because it means I can save my obsession for my swing. Someday I hope to graduate to obsessing over the six inches between my ears instead but I have no doubt that Iā€™ll keep obsessing.

3 Likes