MGS Ball Test 2021

You going to start your kid off with prov1 or prov1x?
:rofl:

1 Like

He’s already hitting the less than perfect ProV1s into the net. Gonna be spoiled with that feel. I’m screwed.

1 Like

It could be worse. He could be my son. U r scratch. Your kid will be scratch. My kid will never be better than 15.

When i ask him if he wants to play, his answer is always “why would i EVER do anything that makes you so frustrated?”

:thinking:

1 Like

I thought the whole point of this forum is that this is a completely made up expectation. :rofl:
#middle of the green

Man I get the frustration aspect of golf. I’m pretty fiery at times, but do you think that 15 could be a 9 or 10 if you let go of a bad swing? It was shocking what letting one bad swing only be one bad swing did for my golf game. That’s worth more to your hdcp than any $4 ball.

2 Likes

Played my first round with the Srixon Z-Star… they seem to fit my swing profile on the test, and I needed some balls (I have Snell’s on order, they aren’t here yet).

It’s a fine ball. I wasn’t swinging my best and it seemed to want to stay in bounds, so that’s a huge plus for me… I caught one drive and felt like it didn’t go as far as I expected, but it was into the wind and it wasn’t significantly shorter than where I put good drives (and it was straighter)…

Playing with them again on Friday (and maybe tomorrow), so we will see how it goes.

4 Likes

3 Likes

That 2 hdcp needs to follow Lou Stagner on Twitter and get some proximity to the hole perspective.

4 Likes

I’m a nice guy, generically, but if I were playing a match against that guy… I’d “Good Tempo” him into a rage and watch his vanity 2 cap implode to shoot a 90 and close him out on the 14th hole.

6 Likes

I take the other approach. I offer them lots of tips. Yes yes you shot birdie and i got a triple but did you know you didnt shift your weight forward on that swing? I can totally fix you in five minutes after this round.

Guarantees I live rent free in his head the rest of the round. :rofl:

My next trick will be to take my groove it and start cleaning their clubs for them.

Dont mess with high handicaps. You guys dont want any of this heat.

3 Likes

I get plenty of “nice shot” comments from higher handicap playing partners on shots I didn’t find to be particularly nice. My response is “thanks” and I can’t understand the mindset of anyone who would think any deeper than that on it.

8 Likes

It seems to me that selecting our golf ball can use the se method that we use to select targets on the course. What shot/ball gives us the most predictable pattern?

With so many variables (temp, humidity, wind, dry/wet/dew, fw height, rough height, green foundation, green slope, ground strike, face strike, trajectory, amount of curve), it seems it would be hard to select a ball without observing A LOT of golf shots with a specific ball before really identifying a pattern. Especially considering our games are able to change significantly from day to day.

2 Likes

Screw the ball, I want the PXG irons as the Mid speed 8 iron goes a club farther than mine!

5 Likes

haha, the 87 mph 8 iron was hitting balls 200 yards… I swing in the 90s with an 8 iron and hit it 170.

3 Likes

Moving to Scottsdale would probably help as well.

4 Likes

True. Even my 9 iron rolls out there.

2 Likes

They only tested urethane cover balls in this test. That said, I like putting them into three categories. I’m in the 3rd category, but will continue to play the Maxfli Tours as they seem to perform for me. (Hcap 14).

4 Likes

I very much appreciate the time and energy it took to create this test - but not to decide what ball to buy. Rather, it’s for how the use the different models of golf balls I find. I find enough balls that I haven’t purchased a ball in years. I have a couple of other ‘rules’. If it’s a Callaway I save it for my buddy who likes those. If it’s Yellow it’s for a pal who like those - he has macular degeneration. I favor Pro V1s and V1x but mostly because those are what I find all the time. I’ll play TaylorMade, Snell or Bridgestone. I can feel the difference some but I don’t mind that. If I find 2 piece balls, they go to the range where they’re happy to have free balls. If they’re scuffed or older top quality balls they go to the shag bags. If they’re Kirkland, they go to the short game section of my shag collection - spinny is good there. I have hundreds of shag balls - one bin for my net based set up, one five gallon bucket for my practice at the local baseball field where I chip to the infield (the bucket has an old planter inside that I can lift out as a strainer so I can easily wash off the infield dirt) and one Bag Shag that I use for chipping at my course. They’re all found. Happy that people obsess about the balls because it means I can save my obsession for my swing. Someday I hope to graduate to obsessing over the six inches between my ears instead but I have no doubt that I’ll keep obsessing.

3 Likes

Follow up to this post: played 2 rounds with the Bridgestones back in play, and went 40/42 in those two rounds (solid play for me). Not technical enough to tell you the difference between the balls performances, but my short game has really crisped up with these.

Moral of the story: when you find something you like and fits your game, don’t randomly choose something else.

3 Likes

Ha, so in that vein of not fixing what isn’t broken… I moved to lower compression, lower spin balls as I swing hard and spin the ball a decent amount… I also play zoysia fairways that tend not to run… so my lower spinning driver isn’t really gaining me much roll, and seems to be costing me a couple yards in distance…

I’m going to get one of the top compression balls (maybe the Wilson Staff ones) and see how far they go.

2 Likes