Just One Thing You Would Want

You have found Aladdin’s lamp. Out comes a Robin Williams Scotsman clone (some levity here) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcnFbCCgTo4 … he said you have one wish to get granted that you could magically make happen to improve your game, what would it be? And don’t say shooting 18 for 18 holes!

That I would pure my irons!

3 Likes

I get all of my speed back that I had in my 20s/30s. I’d love to see how I could play if I could still swing it that fast but had my current mental game.

2 Likes

Right now, just no more lock-downs…personally I would ask for an extra 10mph club speed maybe…

2 Likes

Score par or better every round. Leaves plenty of room for excitement with bogeys, double bogeys, pars, birdies and eagles!

1 Like

Or… Hit every fairway on tee shots on par 4s and par 5s…

1 Like

A wife that lets me golf whenever I want :joy:

8 Likes

Must be something I said, but the love of my life says to me…'I can’t wait until they open the course and you can get outta my hair!" That’s a good thing right?

3 Likes

Never miss inside 10 feet. Ever.

1 Like

:sunglasses: :+1:t2:

Would you rather make every putt 10 ft and in or hit every tee shot 350 down the middle?

Not at all a toot my own horn response, but I’ve got plenty of length and accuracy off the tee. Gimme those ten footers all day.

You’re probably making a lot of your putts from 10 feet and in since so many of them are going to be in that three foot and closer range. This table from Mark Brodie’s Every Shot Counts is pretty eye opening to the importance of longer and straighter shots off the tee. Getting closer makes a really big difference.

I don’t disagree that 350 and middle would be awesome, but everything 10 feet in and being GOOD makes a world of difference from a strategic standpoint.

Any long putt or chip is now basically 2 shots. It would allow you change your overall strategy and basically hit a ton more shots AT the pin, as them running 10 feet past won’t hurt you.

This is all in the hypothetical world, though… distance is where most people can gain a ton of strokes, especially not getting into trouble off the tee.

1 Like

It’s true that knowing all those putts are good would have knock on affects on the rest of your game and it’s really hard to quantify that kind of hypothetical. I guess, for me, the issue would be getting in a position where I have more 10 ft birdie putts and then take my chances with the way I putt. And, if I’m bombing every time no matter what, I know I’ll end up with more birdie chances and lots of comfy pars.

I guess the thing I find interesting about this hypothetical is the way it helps reveal some of the less intuitive things about the game and what actually matters.

1 Like

Making putts ten feet and in all but guarantees me 3-4 birdies a round on the par 5s. Even at 7256 at my club I’m on or green high on all four par 5s. I’m confident I can get my third to within ten feet a significant portion of the time. Throw in 1-4 darts over the other 14 holes. If you tell me every round I’m going to make 4 birdies or better I’m happy as a can be even playing at a +1.3.

1 Like

Honestly, for me it’s less birdies and more recovery shots… in the bunker? Get it to 10 feet and walk away with par.

Long bump and run? Just make sure it doesn’t go 10 feet past the pin and try to hit the flag.

Any challenging hole and you can ease off, put yourself close with your 2nd shot and just hope to get it inside the 10 foot circle… and even then 20 foot putts you can get aggressive with.

For me it would be to never ever shank a shot ever again.

1 Like

I’d flip my ratio of 80/20 bad shots to 80/20 good shots. Could get down to my lifetime goal target of 10hcp

1 Like

Hit my aim point. Every swing. Every club.