JumboMax Grips?

Anyone tried out the JumboMax grips that Bryson uses?

This video was interesting to me so I purchased a trial pack of 3 to try out. Think I’m gonna throw one on the driver, 7i, and wedge and give it a whirl. Will report back.

2 Likes

This is a great question, and I’m glad you are trying them… Watched and enjoyed the video… It was funny, they talked about wearing an XL glove and struggling to hit regular grips at demo days, and it resonated with me… I wear an XXL glove, so any demo I hit is an interesting experience in controlling the face.

I currently play midsize grips, and have toyed with the idea of going into jumbo grips… I like being able to control the club face, but I’ve also started adding wraps or playing the +4 tour pride grips in my woods.

Having listened to Jon and Adam talk about face control, and how face rotation changes more from swing to swing than something like swing path, I think a bigger grip that offers more consistent face control is an interesting proposition, assuming you are relatively neutral on path (TXG said something similar).

You take a guy like Jon, who is very in to out with his swing, and take away his face control, and he might be more consistent with his face, but is likely going to be hitting a huge draw that starts left. (I think that’s the correct flight path for a in to out swing with a neutral face… I’m still learning those concepts).

Basically, I think they might be a good tool if your path is fairly neutral and you struggle with controlling the face on your swing (and are OK with trading control for consistency). I’ve definitely considered moving into jumbo grips, and might throw their smaller oversized grip on my 44 inch driver whenever I build it out… That’s a club I’m building for consistency, so the bigger grip might be advantageous there.

I actually really need to go back and consolidate my grips through my bag… it’s not terrible, but when I regrip at the end of the season, I’m going to do it all at once and have a more consistent plan… that might include bigger grips on my woods, where I’m less concerned about controlling the face and more concerned with consistent delivery.

I like my irons in regular midsize grips… I haven’t really toyed with wedge grips at all… I wonder if it would make sense to have bigger grips on them… I’ve been practicing Sieckmann’s wedge setup, and it requires fully opening your hands on the backswing, but also wants you to keep your hands open through the ball, so the bigger grips might help deliver a more open setup on the swing through.

I might have to toy around with the wedges that got benched for my new Sub70 stuff.

2 Likes

I use jumbo GP grips on everything. I have a bit of arthritis from my profession in the left hand fingers and the grips really help with control for me and I have above avg hand size…easily palming a basketball. I am trying the Tacki Macs this year jumbo, but I think I have to double the grip tape they are more like a GP mid. I found the jumbo grips to be a game improvement for me especially with wedges 50 yds and in…

1 Like

Just tossed one onto a wedge for $15… (it’s my old SM6 wedge)… They are definitely large! Looking forward to seeing if and how it changes my wedge swing.

1 Like

They are large. I tried one once, but it seemed too large for me. I think my hands are average size as I just wear a Large glove. I do have some arthritis as I had surgery on my right wrist and left hand, but exercise and Turmeric keep it under control. +1/32 to + 1/16" (reduced taper) feels better for now, but maybe in another 10 years or so I’ll want something larger.

1 Like

You mention the reduce taper… the MCC+4 are my favorite grips for woods… I love not having them tapered, as it helps me keep my hands out of my swing… Haven’t really played with it in irons and wedges, as I like the taper for choking down… (the smaller grip makes me slow down).

I can comfortably grip the JumboMax grips (they aren’t the XL ones) but haven’t hit a shot with the wedge yet…

1 Like

That’s interesting as I like reduced taper in part for choking down. I don’t like the grip feeling too small and I do choke up regularly. The JumboMax felt really comfortable to me, but I struggled a bit releasing the club. I could have used them years ago when the hooks almost drove me from the game. I use GP CP2 Pro now, but am considering MCC+4, DriTac LT and a few others. So glad I don’t need to use much buildup tape these days. It takes a long time to layer on tape for a dozen clubs!

I still remember many years ago taking my 1st lessons. The pro asked if I liked my grips because I was going to replace them due to wear and I had no clue. He showed me some Winn Excel Midsize and I felt an immediate difference. I had no clue about grips or really anything golf related back then lol.

1 Like

Yeah, I find it if I don’t have the taper, I try to step on the club… the smaller grip helps me focus on what I’m trying to do… or at least that’s my rational behind the tapered grips on irons.

I don’t choke up on my clubs a ton though… (except wedges)

1 Like

Played on a GolfZon simulator tonight and tried out the JumboMax Medium on the 7i and 3w.

I really liked them on first try!

I was seeing about 10 yards more carry with both clubs and the dispersions were very small. I’m gonna do some more testing and playing and will continue reporting back.

1 Like

Haha, it’s a hard non starter for me in wedges with the sieckmann method… way too much wrist movement for such a large grip.

Alright, I tried the JumboMax grips in my 7i and 3w for 6 rounds in AZ. Hit some good shots with them but I wouldn’t say it made a noticeable difference. The biggest difference I noticed was the feel (not great) and sound (different) of impact. I’ll probably just go with normal mid-size or jumbo moving forward.

1 Like

A couple of years ago I switched to Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize grips. I have big hands but tendonitis in the thumbs. Comfort is king. Especially when you take a lot of swings…

I got my JumboMax Ultralight XL grips Thursday, installed Friday, took them to the range. Driver, 5 wood and 64 degree worked great. Still working on the 7 iron. One unexpected thing happened. They do not fit into my Sun Mountain C130 14 Diver bag, lower row. I was able to rearrange and place a couple in the putter rack, when I switch to all my clubs, except putter.

2 Likes